Skip to main content

At home games for one of the perennial HS powerhouses in our area, all the home team players stand outside the dugout (yes on the playing field)yelling and clapping in unison from the time the pitcher steps on the mound until the ball is thrown. It is obviously orchestrated by the coach.

I kid you not.

Now, although this is bush league to the 10th power, is this truly allowed? The umps allow it year after year. Even the parents are embarassed.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Starzz:
Hit the 1st 2 batters and if the pitcher isn't one of the 1st 2...wait and hit him also...in the foot of course. No umpires i know would let that go for a second.

Continue this and lose the game. Not only that but lose your pitcher when the ump tosses him.

"Everybody kind of perceives me as being angry. It's not anger, it's motivation." Roger Clemens

If the umpires in your area allow this, they should be suspended for not doing their job. If the opposing coaches in your area allow this without reporting it to the state athletic association, they should be suspended for not doing their job. If that coach's athletic director allows this from his coaches, he should be suspended for not doing his/her job.

If the parents are embarrassed, why don't THEY report it?

Bob
Last edited {1}
Ok whats wrong with getting up and yelling about the game. I would much rather have my team up and into the game than setting down like a bunch of losers. Heck my team is always up doing something no matter how up or down we are. By saying the pitcher hits them lets me know that hey we are getting in there heads and they are no longer focused on the game but are focused on us getting pumped and yelling. Yelling at the other team and trying to be a smart ellic is one thing. But as long as your in the dugout chanting and cheering on your team is nothin short of greatness.
Last edited {1}
quote:
Originally posted by Michael S. Taylor:
I don't think anybody here doesn't agree a team has every right to cheer for their team but it has to be done from the dugout which was not the case here.

Michael has it RIGHT! The only members of the offense allowerd on the field are baserunners, batter, on-deck batter, and base coaches. I would allow adult coaches in front of the dugout, by the gate, IF they did not interfere or complain about calls. Do either, and back in the dugout.

It's in The Book: 3.3.1.j

Bob

Bob

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.