Skip to main content

Hello everyone

ive been lurking, enjoying the content here for a year or so. First time posting. 

My son is a 6’1” 175lb 2020 RHP, SS, OF in Louisiana.

best recorded FB was 82.5 (by me with stalker).

EV - 84 (HITTRAX)

no verified 60 time but based off hand times in the past, I’m confident he is around a 7.0 but quite possibly below. 

I was curious to know if anyone here has had a homeschooled son go through the recruiting process or if anyone is actively in  the process. We really don’t have a bonefide plan yet but I know we need one. Just not really sure if/where he may fit school wise. 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'm not sure how homeschooling works with regard to being eligible for admittance to the school itself, but if the kid can get in, he'll be recruited for baseball just like everyone else.  Next summer is the "big push" for him....or even some showcases this winter if he's healthy and ready.   If you have a video, go ahead and send it to coaches of schools he's interested in, along with any verifiable info.....travel coach contact info, showcase numbers, etc.   If he's playing on a good travel team next summer, that will help.   Get that info out to coaches as soon as you know it with regard to schedule. 

Where or how he is schooled is irrelevant. Getting on the right travel team for exposure is everything.

You have to figure out or be told what level college ball he should be targeting. I’m guessing D3. Make a list of about fifty D3 college programs and email the assistant in charge of recruiting and the head coach. Express interest in the college and the baseball program. Ask what showcases they attend for the player to be seen. The list should be an academic, baseball, financial, social and cultural fit. 

Heres the best place to start with D3’s ...  

www.d3baseball.com

Click on MENU and  “teams” at the top. 

Last edited by RJM

Look for a showcase event in La conducted by The Complete Showcase.  I think they are commonly held in Shreveport.  TCS events are similar in structure to any other showcase event with one big exception - the coaches that attend (and there are a lot of them) are assigned certain kids to evaluate.  Usually every coach evaluates 3 or 4 players.  At the end of the event every player gets one on one feedback from the coaches that evaluated him, including written evaluation sheets from each coach.  It is not expensive to attend TCS events and they are a good way for you (and your son) to get a feel early on for what level of baseball is the right target for you.  There is a ton of talent in La. so it would be good for you to get a handle on how your son stacks up before you waste a lot of time & money.

Pats2020 posted:

Thanks for the input everyone. Gonna look into The Complete Showcase and summer team for next year. 

Just a heads up, most summer teams for next year have already had tryouts and are currently playing fall ball.  Also the choice of which team to play for will make a huge difference in your sons recruiting process. You want to target teams that have experience with the recruiting process and are not just put together to play summer travel ball.  Do your research on the teams your son makes to make sure you are on a team that will fit his goals.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.