Skip to main content

I just wanted to know how everyone came to play the position you do. I was a middle infielder when I was younger, but I fell in love with catcher. I don't mind playing infield once in a while- but I love catcher.
Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is just a hole in Arizona. -George F. Will
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I, originally grew up playing third base and left field, but that was back in like 3rd grade. I then wanted to try playing first base, and catcher because there was no one who wanted to play catcher, and partially because I thought the gear was cool, so I went for it, and I immediately started to like it. I was also the only person on my team who would actually get behind the batter, instead of trying to wait y the fence and see where it rolls too off the pitching machine. I am also built like a catcher, so its the position for me.
In Little League I was very versatile, I played all over the place. In my last year I pitched a lot because I had the strongest arm on the team. After that i moved to 3rd where having a strong arm helps and continued to pitch. I'm now playing JV baseball and playing mostly outfield, but I also pitch and play 3rd. My best position is 3rd, but there's another kid in my grade who is better than me. We're about even in fielding, I have a better arm, but he's better at the plate and he's a better baserunner, giving him the majority of the playing time. This is why I find most of my time in the outfield.
in little league i was catcher and second a little. now i'm the starting varsity second baseman as a sophomore. but thhis year we had alot of people who did n't know what they were doing or were off because of grades so i ended up playing 1st, 2nd, SS, 3rd, and CF. but second is my best position. well.... how i chose my position i was pretty much the only player on my team who would catch so i did and then i pl ayed second because we didnt have anyone else lol
i would always pitch, and play second base, and then my dad taught me how to play short stop and i just fell in love with it. It was so cool to me when i was 7 and i would watch derek jeter make all the great plays he did, so i wanted to be just like him. I love being the leader on the field and wanting the ball to get hit to me, and 7 years later im still between the bags at short
i always was a pitcher and then when i was 11 i got tendonitis in my elbow and joined another team who knew i used to play catcher when i wasnt pitching and they had a ton of other really strong pitchers and they knew i wasnt going to be the same at the time pitching wise so i really was fortunate to become a full time catcher and since then i have caught the majority of the time, pitching only in big situations late in a big game if i am up to it and then this year i decided that i never wanted to pitch again and havent yet because i dont want to risk hurting my arm, so catching has been perfect for me. what really helped and i think it would be wise for a lot of pitchers to think about this, try thinking about catching because pitching game me the best arm strength i could have asked for and it was made me an exceptional catcher, so it isnt a bad idea if you feel up to it. it totally worked for me
quote:
Originally posted by Catcher41:
When I was younger my favorite player was Jason Kendall and he is a catcher so, naturally I wanted to catch. Then I just fell in love with it and I never played anywhere else since. I wish I had learned more positions when I was in little league, but I glad I'm a catcher. I wouldn't have it any other way.

-Kevin

I'm a lot like you, I grew up as the only player who would catch on my machine pitch team, and Pudge was my favorite player, so I just stuck with it, and I played 1b since it is similar. I now wish I had learned to play 3b to get more playing time on summer teams, but since I am the only catcher on our JV team, i catch all game every single game in HS, so it's all good. Until next year, I hope a bigshot freshman doesn't take my spot. We had a freshman last year take the spot of 2 seniors and a junior for the starting varsity catcher. He also pitches, plays short, and can play outfield extremely well. He very well could go pro, he just needs to get a little better at batting, but that will get better with time.
Adam Carlton- as you move up lefties are confined to those positions, but not necessarily in little league.

I'm lefty and have been pitching since I was 8/9 (I'm now a pitcher), but it got to the point where they basically put me wherever they needed me. I generally had a good arm and good glove, so one game I would play short and the next I'd catch or something. That lasted until I was 11. When I was 12 I was the pitcher and 3 hitter, and played 1st when our #2, our first baseman, pitched. When the #3 pitched, our catcher, I caught. When the #4 pitched, our shortstop, I'd play there, etc. When I was 12 I caught for a 14 year old Select All-Star team and hit 5th in the fall. Even though I was lefty, at a younger age I didn't let that stop me from playing where I wanted.

Now a days I'm a pitcher and centerfielder, just like a lefty does. But I'm 16, out of little league. Although next year it looks like coach could maybe ask me to dig up that old lefty catcher's mitt and give a few innings back there Smile
Last edited by J H
Many times a player picks a position, and many times the position picks the player.....

In my case, my team had an overpowering pitcher...who for youth level threw very hard......he was my next door neighbor.....we threw together every day.....when I came up, I was the only kid who would catch him.......instant catcher........from that day on.....

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.