Skip to main content

If you have a kid play for your team, who is extremly talented, let's say, batting .500, 99% fielding percentage, and have a great arm that can pitch 9 Inn shotout games. Do you give him Star status in your team? Would you ever sit him out when the championship game is on the line? Will you tolerate if his Dad is calling the pitches outside the fence? What will you do if this kid's dad threat to transfer his son if you don't play him for one game? I am talking about "serious" sports here, no HS or LL. It's about college kids mostly.
I know one story for sure, a star player in a college team of different major sport( not baseball) threat the coach that he wants out because he is not happy with the coach. The coach kneeld down in front him and cried, bag him to stay. I think the coaches job is on the line if this kid leaves.
That's why he is so scared. This is a true story. You may heard a lot of stories like this, but this one is to the extreme in my opinion.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

TR, I am thoroughly convinced Star Dad is a sham poster.

Remember how just days ago he claimed he knew nothing of baseball and was only interested in his son?

Well, in the past few days he has argued hitting techniques, and posted several notes about in-depth baseball experiences including some in which he admits to being the provider of instruction.

Big, fat liar, whoever it is. Just someone trying to stir things up. The best approach is to ignore him, though I suppose he and his pidgin English will resurface under another name.
quote:
The coach kneeld down in front him and cried, bag him to stay.
BS! If the player is as good as you say it would be a national story. The coach would have a talk with the player on what the rules will be. If the player doesn't like it, the coach will tell the player not to let the door hit him on the rear on the way out.

Are there coaches who look the other way on certain violations? Yes (Bobby Bowden)! But coaches don't allow the players to own them.
Last edited by RJM
quote:
Originally posted by RJM:
quote:
The coach kneeld down in front him and cried, bag him to stay.
BS! If the player is as good as you say it would be a national story. Otherwise the coach would tell the player not to let the door hit him on the rear on the way out.

A lot of stories behind the door you will never hear in you life time. If you are in the coaching profession, you will hear it.
Last edited by StarDad
quote:
Originally posted by RJM:
So a poster who claims to know nothing about sports is now an insider! LOL! See you in the funny papers. Over and out.

I said it before, I know nothing about the baseball system (Income of minors, Draft..etc) but I like to do resaerch on baseball, so I can teach my kid how to play it. On my profile, I listed "Baseball coach for my son only", is that clear?

Never coached other kids but I still like to give out my research opinions on baseball techniques for discussion only.
Stardad-WRONG!!! I WAS in the coaching profession for 20 years, and NEVER, NEVER did I hear of a coach begging a kid to play! That kind of personality would never go into coaching in the first place! And, concerning another of your truly STUPID posts-if your kid continues to listen to you instead of his coach during a game, he may do as I and a couple of other coaches I know have done-send him up in the sands, uniform and all, to sit by you. So sit down, shut up, eat your popcorn and get out of your son's way!
Assuming this is a real situation, this is the most ridiculous situation I've ever heard of!!! I'm far from being in any kind of coaches circle, just a dad whose kids love the game. But every coach I've ever run into, since we left daddyball anyway, would tell the kid and the dad to take a hike or at least drastically reduce his playing time.

I do know of one travel coach who favored his big time player at 14U. The kid would act out when he didn't get a hit, throw tantrums, throw his helmet in the dugout, etc. The coach tolerated it because he had a big bat. At the college level? The coach would need to grow a pair.
I would say if the kid is that talented the coach should let the player set the lineup and the dad could call the pitches. I've noticed the Cav's coaches bend over backward to keep Bron happy.
I had a travel coach tell me that if my 13yo would play for him he'd let him set the lineup whenever he wanted, and he's not even close to being as good as the player you're describing! You could even work out some kind of deal where the bench-warmers took care of his bat bag and have a sponsor make sure that he's got seeds and power-aide for the games.
quote:
Originally posted by Innocent Bystander:
I would say if the kid is that talented the coach should let the player set the lineup and the dad could call the pitches. I've noticed the Cav's coaches bend over backward to keep Bron happy.
I had a travel coach tell me that if my 13yo would play for him he'd let him set the lineup whenever he wanted, and he's not even close to being as good as the player you're describing! You could even work out some kind of deal where the bench-warmers took care of his bat bag and have a sponsor make sure that he's got seeds and power-aide for the games.

Enjoy your post, my friend. Well, that is a little bit extreme though. If I want set up the lineup or calling every pitches, I better put some money in the team, and make myself a coach. Hey, being a coach for the LL team is not fun, you have to be in every game 1 hr earlier, under 100 degree heat, hitting ground balls or fly balls to the players. You take blame for every loss while kids got all the credit for the win. Coaching is a very hard job to do especially at LL level, because you don't got paid for doing it. Since you don't got paid, you really don't care about how great your star player is (unless he is your son), you can sit him out whenever you like, the worst case is that you won't see him next year. If the coach's son is the weak player, he may jealous your talented son, and wish your son quit ASAP. But at college level, when their jobs are on the line, they better think it twice before they do anything with their star player. Even they talk tough in front of the media, behind the back door, they will treat the star player like God. Because the college team success mostly denpend on recruiting, "recruiting success" is one of the way to evaluate coach's job performance, if you are a bomb head coach, don't know how to "troll" the talents, you will be gone from the coaching profession very soon. No matter how knowledgable you are, you got know how to "sham" your player to play for you. This is the fact, no coach can deny it.
Last edited by StarDad
quote:
Originally posted by BobbleheadDoll:
I thought maybe you could process one liners better. Your ego seems to be shutting the blood flow down to your brain.

OOOPs tha's 2 lines.

Hi, guys, in order to reply my post, you first got be smart, second, you must be opinionated, third, you must say something which can convince me that you are right. Forth, you must type fast don't worry about the spelling or grammar. Then, you can talk with me without being overwhelmed by me. Understand? Then, go back to school. Bye-Bye.
First of all it is clear to all of us that you are speaking about yourself (calling pitches). 2nd we all know this is your son (if this is for real) you are speaking about and all I can say is I feel very sorry for him. I hope he keeps playing inspite of you and not because of you. Your login alone speaks for itself.
3rd no coach in his right mind would put up with this, you and your son would and should be shown the door. If it hasn't happened already it will.
Yeah, coaching is a tough job. But when you got the talent the coach will be happy to let you help him with the lineup. Sometimes they need a break too ya know?
Plus, when you got the super talented kid they want to come trim your bushes, take you out to lunch and give you all kinds of baseball stuff. But if you've got the wasted lumber bench warmers they won't even want to talk or listen to anything you say, this is true.
Stardad your son should attend a state show case so he can get his name on the charts. I am surprised Scott Boras has not contacted him.

I think you should let us know what team he played on in the USSSA 14 I do not want his name I just want to view the team results and see if our program played them or say them at the World Series.

Post the team name if you are for real.
My daughter has a friend who is 17, 6' 250 and runs the 40 in 6 flat, has never played football and is absolutely convinced he's off to USC and is going to be the next Reggie Bush. We smile but we don't hold that against him, his mother recently passed away from cancer and his father left them before that. His friends have tried to explain to him that his chance of doing this is less than zero but he doesn't get it. So I've banned him from the house! NOT!!
quote:
My daughter has a friend who is 17, 6' 250 and runs the 40 in 6 flat, has never played football and is absolutely convinced he's off to USC and is going to be the next Reggie Bush. We smile but we don't hold that against him, his mother recently passed away from cancer and his father left them before that. His friends have tried to explain to him that his chance of doing this is less than zero but he doesn't get it. So I've banned him from the house! NOT!!

Hi, my friend, I will tell you the "ignore list" really works. I don't even see his name except the very fine print between post. I will only response to friendly post like yours, thanks.
Hi, Innocent Bystander:

I do have a friend lives at Columbus, Ohio
He is a computer Geek, I do have have a plan to visit him someday, if you live close, I will probably visit you too, but only till my son become the Star in his HS within about a year or two. Otherwise my name won't be "Stardad".
Keep in touch, I will let you know when it happens.
quote:
StarDad, I think your boy gonna be the Bomb! I met Lebrons Mom and I thought she was so nice and sweet, invited me into her house and treated me like a friend! You know like I was a regular dude and some people didn't like her! I say they were just jealous! Boy she sure had a lot of shoes!

Hey, IB, did she let you ride in the Hummer that she "bought" when LeBron was in HS?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.