Skip to main content

Probably a very stupid question for those who have been there and done that. But, for those totally new to the process, this discussion may be helpful.

Coach tells the kid: We really want you to play for us. It's going to cost you XX per year to attend our school. But, I can give you XX dollars the first year and then we can see after that. Depending on your grades when the time comes, maybe I can get you some academic money too.  Take your time and think it over. But we hope you can not make us wait too long. We really want you to be part of our program here.

Kid thinks it over. He's already aware that the school is a good fit for him. He decides that he wants to commit.

What should happen next? Kid tells coach he accepts the offer and and then declares his commitment on social media? Is that it?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@Francis7 posted:

What should happen next? Kid tells coach he accepts the offer and and then declares his commitment on social media? Is that it?

That's pretty much it.   Personally, I would refrain from such posts on social media, but that is up to the player.   The player doesn't have to publicize it.  Coaching is a small world - they do talk to each other and will know who has committed where.

Some related questions:

What about admissions? Should a kid make sure he can get into the school before he commits? What if the player hasn't even taken the SAT yet? Or, if it looks like admissions shouldn't be a problem based on what you see on a high level, is it safe to commit?

On the social media post? Are there do's and don't's?

Francis7,

The Coach isn't going to care if the recruit declares his college commitment or that he is the King of Norway on social media.   There are plenty of recruits who do not publicize on social media for good reasons.   That is a personal preference not a requirement.

The important thing is that your son and the coach come to a "meeting of the minds", and you have all your ducks in a row with Financial Aid and Admissions.   Your son needs to fully understand what is being provided, what is expected of him, and when this is going to be finalized administratively.  If the recruit has any questions, I strongly suggest he ask them now.

The Coach will be looking for the recruits ED application that he will have his Academic Liaison walk through to Admissions and track the ED application.   If athletic money is involved, the recruit will need to sign an NLI.   I strongly encourage anyone to read through the NLI agreement before signing.    Typically, academic money is awarded with an ED acceptance letter and required academic metrics are spelled out.   Those are two entirely different pools of money.

Last edited by fenwaysouth
@fenwaysouth posted:

Francis7,

The Coach isn't going to care if the recruit declares his college commitment or that he is the King of Norway on social media.   There are plenty of recruits who do not publicize on social media for good reasons.   That is a personal preference not a requirement.

The important thing is that your son and the coach come to a "meeting of the minds", and you have all your ducks in a row with Financial Aid and Admissions.   Your son needs to fully understand what is being provided, what is expected of him, and when this is going to be finalized administratively.  If the recruit has any questions, I strongly suggest he ask them now.

The Coach will be looking for the recruits ED application that he will have his Academic Liaison walk through to Admissions and track the ED application.   If athletic money is involved, the recruit will need to sign an NLI.   I strongly encourage anyone to read through the NLI agreement before signing.    Typically, academic money is awarded with an ED acceptance letter and required academic metrics are spelled out.   Those are two entirely different pools of money.

What if it's too early for an ED application? Should you hold off on committing? It seems like people commit (sometimes) before you can ED?

One thing I would add to your steps of committing.  Once you have communicated to the coach that you are committing, contact the other coaches that are ACTIVELY recruiting the player and let them know that he has committed.  If you can’t get ahold of them within 48-72 hours then proceed to next steps.

This is not only common courtesy, but with the current uncertainty that we are all walking into, if you have to go back to them for any reason, it will go a lot better.

Francis7,

I was providing a high level answer to a very general question.  The ED application will be necessary in the Fall of senior year.  If the committed recruit is a sophomore or junior they are going to have to wait until Fall of senior year.   

You should commit when you have all your questions answered and it checks all the boxes.  Everybody's questions and check boxes are different.   The rest is a process and timeline that the coach should walk the recruit through.   The Coach should be introducing or providing names in Financial Aid and Admissions for follow up.   The recruit should know how much of an academic/athletic stretch a particular program is before any coach contact or communication happens...that is the recruits homework.

Last edited by fenwaysouth

Plenty of players commit, and then have a hard time being admitted academically when they get to be seniors, or getting the required test scores.  At the time of committing, the coach should tell the player what is needed academically to be admitted (GPA, test scores); if the coach really wants the player, he will keep up with the player to make sure he is on track.  This is not just schools with Early Decision, it's all schools; sometimes players are admitted in May after senior year, if they have to keep re-taking SAT/ACT.

^^^^ This.

Son's college coach had several pre-reads (you give him an unofficial copy of the transcripts).   I thought keewartson was reaching too far academically, but he proved me wrong (having brilliant baseball players on your team makes you want to keep up academically).

There was a very good player from our HS that was committed to an middle of the pack baseball ACC school.  The coach had the player keep taking the SATs to just to break 1000.  Each school is different.

The coach at the school should be providing information to the player for the schools minimum requirements.  Several schools will get "passes" for good players on the academic end.  But don't let that fool you....the player needs to stay eligible not only with the NCAA but with the school to play.

If you commit, the coach will usually require the players to apply early decision (ED).  The coach sends a list of the incoming freshmen over to admissions.  (In the olden days about 12-15 years ago the athletes applications were on a different colored paper to quickly identify them).

Last edited by keewart

My daughter received her offer and the end of summer post freshman year. She committed spring of soph year. The coach told her to report her academic status (to the coach) every semester through acceptance.

A reason not to report your commit on social media ...

A kid in our area made sure the world knew he committed to a top ranked program post soph summer. By spring of senior year the world knew he wasn’t NCAA eligible yet. He didn’t pass the SAT until the last opportunity. The talk on the kid stopped being baseball. It became he was dumber than a bag of rocks. Things can go wrong. Don’t draw attention to yourself off the field. Draw attention on the field.

Last edited by RJM

I agree with Around_The_Horn but our timeline was much different.  We did it within a couple of hours.  We communicated with them the same way they had been communicating with us.  For those who called regularly, he called, and for those who texted, he texted.  We felt like they had done us a solid by offering and I'm a huge fan of not burning bridges since he ultimately wants to coach and you never know when you commit if it is solid.  I just wanted to add another step to the growing into an adult phase for him.  Neither of mine did not receive any bad/very negative remarks.  A couple were short but all said good wishes.

@Francis7 posted:

Probably a very stupid question for those who have been there and done that. But, for those totally new to the process, this discussion may be helpful.

Coach tells the kid: We really want you to play for us. It's going to cost you XX per year to attend our school. But, I can give you XX dollars the first year and then we can see after that. Depending on your grades when the time comes, maybe I can get you some academic money too.  Take your time and think it over. But we hope you can not make us wait too long. We really want you to be part of our program here.

Kid thinks it over. He's already aware that the school is a good fit for him. He decides that he wants to commit.

As an offer, the coach is giving the player some money for the first year only? What happened to years 2,3,4? He says we will see after that?  He has left the door open for you to become a walk on after the first year.  That should not be an acceptable offer, IMO and shows no love.

Am I missing something?

Edit. Is this D1 or D2?

Last edited by TPM
@TPM posted:

As an offer, the coach is giving the player some money for the first year only? What happened to years 2,3,4? He says we will see after that?  He has left the door open for you to become a walk on after the first year.  That should not be an acceptable offer, IMO and shows no love.

Am I missing something?

Edit. Is this D1 or D2?

Is the distinction between the two because it's a difference in scholarships between the two? Is it more acceptable if such an offer came from a D2?

@Francis7 posted:

Is the distinction between the two because it's a difference in scholarships between the two? Is it more acceptable if such an offer came from a D2?

D1 has to give  minimum 25% or nothing. 

I was just wondering, but in either case, the coach is handing out a 1 year scholarship offer, to me that would not be acceptable. 

@TPM posted:

D1 has to give  minimum 25% or nothing.

I was just wondering, but in either case, the coach is handing out a 1 year scholarship offer, to me that would not be acceptable.

I don't know. I've heard of one case where a D2 offered someone a lot (compared to what he had available to offer and to what kids usually got) for freshman year only (with a promise of "we'll see after that") and it sort of made sense to me. #1 What if the kid tanks when he gets there? And, #2, it's still X less than the kid will have to pay. Would you rather get $1K in athletic scholarship each year or $6K the first year only? It's still more off the total 4 year cost.

NCAA scholarships are for one year only. They are renewed (or not) on an annual basis. Any thing promised beyond the first year is between the student and the school. Some athletic conferences have agreed to offer 4 year scholarships (e.g. P5 conferences). Some schools may offer more than one year on their own--just understand that anything beyond that first year at those school is not guaranteed unless you somehow get something in writing from the school. Should that coach get fired or take another job and you don't have something in writing from the school--good luck getting the school to honor that coach's verbal offer.

This is exactly why the NCAA had to alter the rules for the 2020/2021 academic year. Schools had to honor the NLI's signed by incoming freshman which meant they would likely exceed the 11.7/27 rule. So they increased it to 11.7/32 and dropped the 25% minimum (D1). That meant some returning players could have received less money than they received in prior years. This is why the ruling occurred prior to coaches having to renew the NCAA annual scholarships for their players.

@Francis7 posted:

I don't know. I've heard of one case where a D2 offered someone a lot (compared to what he had available to offer and to what kids usually got) for freshman year only (with a promise of "we'll see after that") and it sort of made sense to me. #1 What if the kid tanks when he gets there? And, #2, it's still X less than the kid will have to pay. Would you rather get $1K in athletic scholarship each year or $6K the first year only? It's still more off the total 4 year cost.

I am fully aware that the NLI is only good for one year. I also know that coaches have all different creative ways of distributing either 9 or 11.7.  I  am also aware that coaches have a program where they just plug in the numbers and he is able to offer based on a 4 year projection.

The recruit and his family are made aware of the verbiage in the NLI and what he needs to do to stay eligible for 4 years and to have his scholarship renewed yearly.

11.7 rule to 11.32  25% max COA temporarily lifted for 1 year, was for D1. Francis is speaking about a D2 offer.

For D2, nothing changed, I assume. However, it is that coaches responsibility to help the recruit in obtaining as much $$$ as they can before he signs, whether it be in athletic aid, academic aid, etc. for 4 years, "not here is some money, this is this year's tuition COA, we will see what happens next year".

But maybe some coaches don't care who or how many show up every fall. If the player tanks before he gets there, the coach will ask the player to look elsewhere.  That's not someone my player would care for.

For someone who has asked so many questions, I am surprised at your reaction. I would want my player to have a more solid commitment, D1 or D2.

Just sayin.

@Francis7 posted:

What about admissions? Should a kid make sure he can get into the school before he commits?

Yes.

If you're this close to committing, the academic research should have already been taken care of on your end. I really wouldn't commit anywhere until you're 100% certain getting into the school won't be an issue. Taking yourself off the market from schools you would have an easier time getting into doesn't make too much sense. If they're looking for a commitment, did they not look at his grades and say he's good to go? Unless it's a HA school, the coaches probably don't have any issues with admissions rejections.

@Francis7 posted:

What about admissions? Should a kid make sure he can get into the school before he commits?

The travel coach should help steer the player in the right direction.  Our travel coaches, who are active on this site, received players grades and scores so knew how to steer the player based on past experiences.

The college coach should be providing information on at least the minimums the school will accept on their athletes.

You can use baseball to get in to a college you may not have been able to otherwise.  That is the kind of leverage you want.  Worked in our case.

Last edited by keewart

A couple of thoughts. 

First of all you can look up all the stats you want on the college you are looking at.  Take a look and see at average ACT score, GPA etc....  You should be able to make a good assumption of your sons ability to get into the school by those numbers.  If it looks close, then I would sit down and have more conversations with the Coach or admissions.

2ndly, when my son got a D2 offer they laid out all the money.  Some of it (academics) was easy.  Their school had some rules, if your ACT  is between x and y you get Z type of deal.  So my sons offer had the bottom line of what we would be expected to pay.  They did project all 4 years cost, but nothing after year 1 was guaranteed.  I wonder if your school has something similar?

Hope this helps,

@FoxDad posted:

That's pretty much it.   Personally, I would refrain from such posts on social media, but that is up to the player.   The player doesn't have to publicize it.  Coaching is a small world - they do talk to each other and will know who has committed where.

Could it be possible that the social media posts can warn off other kids? Say...if I kid has a school on his list and he sees someone committed there at his position who is much better than him, then the kid doesn't look at that school as much because he knows there is a roadblock? (Not saying that this is how it works...just wondering if maybe this is why some post?)

@Francis7 posted:

Could it be possible that the social media posts can warn off other kids? Say...if I kid has a school on his list and he sees someone committed there at his position who is much better than him, then the kid doesn't look at that school as much because he knows there is a roadblock? (Not saying that this is how it works...just wondering if maybe this is why some post?)

To discourage lesser players from looking at the school?  Hmmmm... pretty sure that is the LAST thing a player would be thinking about when posting his commitment on social media.

So, Francis, your line of questioning is starting to funnel down... is a congratulations in order?

Make sure to CALL (not text or e-mail) any coach that had strong interest in your son and/or had made an offer to your son. Your son should be prepared to thank them for the time they spent and to wish them luck. Your son should also be prepared to maybe get some unwanted feedback/comments from a coach that was recruiting him. Stay classy and respectful no matter what...the coaching world is a small one. Good luck and congrats to your son! 

@Francis7 posted:

you're giving 15-18 year old boys (and their parents, often) waaaaaay too much credit in the strategic thinking process.  

@Francis7 posted:

I think the travel org likes it more to post to get the credit

@Francis7 posted:

While that is plausible, I don't think many teenagers think that way.  I know mine didn't.   You are giving them way too much credit.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.