Skip to main content

How far have you traveled to participate in Travel Ball? Our Son tried out for a Team in Chicago IL..We live 30 MIN North of Madison Wisconsin. Traveled 2hours 15m to get to the practice facility... Now it will be Fall Ball, Practices and training till next Summer... AM I NUTS??
Neil Manke Manke Enterprises
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I wouldn't say you are nuts but I would discourage such an endeavor ... you are talking a minimum of 4 hours travel time round trip, and need to consider length of practices, training, etc. If the coaching staff is as it appears they are, it is probably going to be at least 6 hour 'day' just traveling to and from and practics; games could take up even more time.

It is possible that your son could do homework in the car on the way to practices, but by the time you drive back home, it may be a lost deal.

Our son played on a very good travel team when he was 13/14 and their home field was 45 minutes from our house ... it made for some very very long days for our son (and for his old folks). Not sure I would have had him do it if I knew what I know now but of course it wouldn't be my decision anyway.

But bottom line, I think it is too far for a younger player to travel ... and this doesn't address valid concerns about the risks of being on the road that many hours a day/week.
Mank10, I think that is a personal decision with special consideration given to your son. We started traveling a long distance (90 miles one way) when my son was 13 and continued until he was 18. (no fall ball). It has it's pros and cons. It does take up a lot of time but that time can be converted to quality time with your son. We talked a lot during that time and shared some things that I probably wouldn't have shared had he played locally. It also provided my son with an opportunity to play a level of baseball he could not have experienced in our smaller town. While I never thought much about the expense of gas (about $1.20 at that time) that would be a big factor at today's prices.

Crazy? Of course it's crazy! We're all crazy! This whole thing of parents working, sacrificing, spending, pushing, pulling, and begging just so kids can play a game is crazy!!! ---- But if your son wants it then go for it!
Fungo
Last edited by Fungo
Have spent many hours(years) searching for a travel team closer to home...there aren't any! We have a Babe Ruth and Little League near by... Son was very fortunate to be able to play up with a great Babe Ruth team and Coach... Coach is finished as his son will be playing Legion Ball next year. Little League is Rec Ball. We want to get away from the DaddyBall coaches in Little League... Called numerous clubs and they have either stopped or do not have a 13U or 14U program any more... Found it kind of funny...Coach of a 14U Wisconsin Travel Team (that is 45 min away) that had a team last year, had his son @ this tryout!! What does that tell you???

We would have to start our own team!!! NOT!!

We were very impressed with this club, They ran a Showcase/Pro Style try out.. WE liked the level of Coaching expertise and intensity... Yeah... Its a haul.. But I think our Son will benefit from this experience and be a better ball player in the end..

My Brother just returned from The Cooperstown Dreams Park... They had to haul my nephew 1 HR 45 Min each way (Oshkosh) 4 times per week all Summer to Practice and scrimmages.. He played very well in NY and elevated his game. (good coaching!!!)

Thanks for the forum I appreciate your responses still open to any advise given. N
Of course you are nuts! Viewed from the outside, most posters here appear to irrational, in one aspect or another of their behavior regarding baseball and their kids.

I sympathize with the idea of traveling to practice. Our son at 13/14 years old was traveling about 1 hour 15 minutes to practice. Some players on his team traveled farther. The practice locations are now closer to our house, but worse for some other kids. We do this because the team is a good fit for our son, with excellent coaching and exposure.

It is ironic that I don't have experience to know if traveling long distances to practice is the right tradeoff for our son, and by the time I do gain the experience and perspective, it will be too late to benefit from it.
Yes, you are nuts. I know this because we drive close to 3 hours to our practices. From experience it does take a huge toll on the family. It is not cheap either. But, it has been worth it to my son. He plays on a very strong team at the level I think he needs to play at. We can't find anything close to that closer to home. Yes, we travel a lot but he has had many great experiences that we wouldn't trade for anything. Now that fuel is so expensive, we may tone it down for the fall. He will be in HS this year so spring is out too. But I am sure summer will be as busy as ever.

I would find out if there is an equivalent team closer by. Also, you may need to cut back on some of the team workouts. Remember, his education needs to come first. I can tell you that travel makes homework very difficult. We rarely made weekday practices during the school year. We did however, work out at home during the school year.

And honestly, the travel time has brought us closer together due to all the "chat" in the car. Smile
Manke;

what type of business are you in?

Why not organize your own team, invite minor league players to teach and play games to learn!!!!. You will save $$$$.

I did this 25 years ago and now after 8,000 players, we are continued to be involved in International Baseball.

My coaches this year to Australia, include 4 pro scouts, one former LA Dodger outfielder. All are great teachers.

Bob Williams
<www.goodwillseries.org>
Well, it sounds like you've already made up your mind, but for the benefit of others who may be faced with the same type of choice... consider carefully what TPM said. By the time you foot the bill for all the travel expenses (including hotels and food for actual games during the season) you could have created your own "scholarship" fund, if that's what you hope will come out of this in the end.

Good luck to you and your son - hope it is everything you hope for!
It's funny though -- that "scholarship fund" idea. Playing baseball in college isn't always about getting a discount in the cost of education. Most states have really affordable, really good schools which will provide most students with a great education.

Isn't this endeavor all about letting your kid figure out if he is good enough to DO what he wants to DO at the next highest level?

If your kid wants to play baseball in college - at the highest level - it's not really about the money, is it?
mythreesons I'm not picking on you or any other specific poster but I have a problem with people reducing a baseball team to nothing more than a vehicle for getting to the next level. In other words --- how much "scholarship return" we receive for "investing" in their our son's team should not be a major factor in where he plays. If we approach this with that mentality then it sends a message that parents can (or need to) "buy" their son a scholarship and that isn't true. A young man's scholarship is based on his athletic and academic talent and not his playing/showcasing resume. I drove my son long distances because that is where he wanted to compete. 13 of the 14 players on his team either received D-1 scholarships or turned professional but that is not why they were there. They were there because they were the best players around and they wanted to compete with and against the best and win. The quality players make the team and the showcase a success --- not the other way around.
Fungo
quote:
AM I NUTS??

Depends on how one describes nuts? Big Grin

Different parts of the region require us all to do different things. I know that I drive close to an hour out here in Kansas just to get to our " local " Target, and don't even ask me how far I'm willing to travel to get my Starbucks mocha fix. Wink I'm sure there are many who would think that I am nuts, especially to those who live with both of these establishments on every other street corner in their own town. We do not have the luxury.

So imagine if you will, your almost-a-sophomore son comes to you and says, " I want to know if I have what it takes. I want to play the against the best competition I can find. "
How far of a drive is too far?

When it is their passion and they are intensely committed,.... when its about their self imposed personal goals and desperately wanted challenges,....its amazing how quick that two hour+ ( one way ) drive becomes! Smile
Last edited by shortstopmom
I thought I was nuts to haul my kid across country for a big time travel team when he was 15...

I agree with the other posters that this is a wonderful time to bond with your player, but it is not necessary to play on a travel team so far away for him to get better - especially in the Fall.

At that age, you would be wise to invest your money in a trainer expert in baseball, and strengthen his arm, and his core muscles throughout the Fall, while continuing a throwing and cord program. In the spring, he could practice with a local high school team (for a small donation) if local rules allow. In the summer, try to team up with at least one other good local player, and then go for the summer program while sharing driving.

Are you nuts? Yeah, but the rest of us are too.
quote:
Originally posted by gamefan:

Isn't this endeavor all about letting your kid figure out if he is good enough to DO what he wants to DO at the next highest level?

Sometimes it's not about what they want because I am not really sure what 13/14 year olds want at the next level. Are 13/14 year olds thinking about college? The next level to me is 15/16 which would be making the HS JV team. The next level varsity, the next level college. Also, nowadays it's also about making teh best travel ball team, and those that run those programs KNOW what parents will do to achieve that.
I am not even going to go there about pro ball, because that's a long shot.

I also believe that 13/14 year olds need to have other options in their lives. They also need to understand that school comes first before anything, because without that you won't get to where you want to go. Teaching good school habits at 13/14 before HS is important. Traveling more time than spent in the classroom is placing an emphasis that it's all about baseball, it's not. But that's just how I see it and my opinion, regardless of one's talents.

Is this a continuos process, or fall ball, latespring practice and instruction than summer ball, a few days a week type of thing, weekend thing, etc?
I understand about traveling to find good instruction, pitching or hitting lessons.
This appears to me a process that in order to play next summer, one has to play fall ball, practice all winter to make the summer travel team. Lot of $$, lot of travel to play travelball. How much training and practice does a 13/14 need to play for a team next summer?

ssm,
I agree with you, son coming to you in HS with that question at 16 is age appropriate, when one should begin to seek opportunities to get better so he can play in college. JMO.
Last edited by TPM
quote:

If your kid wants to play baseball in college - at the highest level - it's not really about the money, is it?

Good and enlightening post Gamefan.

I think at the end of the day the decision that Mank and son have to make come down to these 2 questions.

I can appreciate the concerns that Mank has and each is quite valid. The high price of gasoline affects all of us today. Price of eating out is on the rise. The never-ending hassle of staying in hotels, etc. etc.

Our travel times to the East Cobb complex was on minimum 1 1/2hrs one way, plus the game(s), etc. meant all day practically in the car and at ballfields. Hindsight, I wouldn't take anything in the world for the journey. It was a sacrifice but to each of us that definition varies. Mank is like no other father who wants to give his son the chance and opportunity to learn not only where he stacks up in baseball against others his age, but to become better.

All those times hauling younggun around the southeast the thought of whether or not he was going to get a college ride or how much I could be saving towards college never, ever crossed my mind. I simply treasured the time alone with my son. It allowed me the opportunities to stoke his fires to excel and never give up. To console him those times he was roughed up on the mound. To high five him when he shut down the best team in the tournament.

Heck, Perfect Game is the Premier showcase agency they are today because countless boys and parents across the nation want only the best. PG simply affords us all today the venue to be the best and play the best. If your son doesn't want to be either of these then the local rec ball scene is a good level for him to compete.

So in my experience and journey, to answer your question Gamefan, it wasn't about the money. Ever.
And what about the kid who committed to a college early as a junior and now as a senior is playing fall ball?

The answer, to me, is simple---he loves the game and wants to play at the top level so as to continue to improve his game as he prepares for the college level

For many the money does not enter into it--they find a way
quote:
It's funny though -- that "scholarship fund" idea. Playing baseball in college isn't always about getting a discount in the cost of education. Most states have really affordable, really good schools which will provide most students with a great education.

I agree that it is not about the money or the scholarship. I am guessing that anyone whose last name appears on the name of a business can afford the gas. It is a free country, and thus does not bother me at all how much someone decides to spend.

Mank - the only thing I found odd was that you would even ask people what their opinion was. If there is some angst on your part about it, then maybe your inner voice is telling you it is not such a great idea. I am sure one of these days, we'll find someone on here with even greater means that will be flying their kid across the country to attend practice in order to guarantee they play the most "elite" competition.

The issue here is time not money. Is the competition going to hone his skills so much more that the opportunity cost of the lost hours for fun, being a kid, and yes further working on baseball will have been worth it. In my view and based on my experience, I doubt it. We were constantly pressured to join the ever more elite teams that were supposed to open all the doors. We chose (basically me coaxing him) to remain with the local town travel team and basically play in the Cleveland area while sometimes traveling out of the area or state for a tournament. Cleveland is hardly a hotbed of baseball talent yet there are many fine players here. IMO, one can develop their skills against good competition yet may not be considered elite competition - the key is to play.

I guess my point here is I believe your son can develop the necessary skills playing in Madison Wisconsin. Regardless of the hype, the players are not twice as good in the Chicago area as they are in Madison. There may be more good players there but it is still a game called baseball. Best of luck in your endeavors.
The player who committed early playing FB as a senior is playing for draft interest. Lots of players that committ early, don't particiapte in senior fall ball, and many play other sports. Many committed pitchers, after playing all summer, usually take off fall ball to recover for their HS season.

We were asked for our opinion, and you will get various opinions, mostly based on those now going through the process and those that have. If Mank pretty much had decided what he wanted his son to do, why ask, what does it matter what someone else says? I go with CD, it's more about time than money.

However there are a lot of parents reading this who may not ever be able to afford those travel options and should never feel that they should give up helping their player. Your player can improve by lessons, a good conditioning program in winter and fall ball for practice on those lousy daddy ball teams Smile until HS. In HS lots of homework has to be done to find a travel team, participates in top wood bat tournies. A top showcase in HS can bring more attention to your player if you choose the right one at the right time with the right people.

I also realize in northern states, more indoor facilites are cropping up to promote year round baseball, but interesting enough, most players that do succeed in 365 sunshine don't play year round baseball.
Last edited by TPM
As the head coach of one of those travel team programs, albeit one in California, I'll say that Yes, you are nuts.

I'd recommend finding a quality program closer to home. I cannot imagine any benefit strong enough to need to play that far from home at the youth level, and by youth level I mean up through 18 & 19 year old baseball.
TPM

Is it not possible that a player already committed is simply playing for the sake of just playing with his buddies and improving his game

TPM don't try to play one-upmanship here because you do not have the depth of experience--

Can't a kid and his family play with a team they like just for the sake of playing baseball---is this a lost concept
quote:
I drove my son long distances because that is where he wanted to compete. 13 of the 14 players on his team either received D-1 scholarships or turned professional but that is not why they were there. They were there because they were the best players around and they wanted to compete with and against the best and win. The quality players make the team and the showcase a success --- not the other way around.

Could not have said it better myself!!

quote:
At that age, you would be wise to invest your money in a trainer expert in baseball, and strengthen his arm, and his core muscles throughout the Fall, while continuing a throwing and cord program.

Our Son has been working with a Personal Trainer since last November. He also has a Former MLB Pitching and a AAA Hitting Coach that he works with on a weekly basis....

quote:
The Wisconsin Braves are supposed to be a good team. I don't know where they call home or anything else - have just heard about them.

Never heard of them... I'll try to google...

quote:
Perfect Game is the Premier showcase agency they are today because countless boys and parents across the nation want only the best. PG simply affords us all today the venue to be the best and play the best. If your son doesn't want to be either of these then the local rec ball scene is a good level for him to compete.

Until this club came along, I had our son signed up to
Play PG fall ball..a invite only wood bat league...

This has been great fun reading!!! I am looking to see what the scope is on how far previous parents have gone to give their sons the "best opportunity available" Mostly, I needed to have a reinforcement to make sure we were on the right track or not...
Alot of good points reading through this post. I appreciate the amount of time and effort everyone has put into well thought out responses.

That being said, we are traveling extensively this fall to play a tough schedule. Practice is about 2.5 hours from home. However, we won't attend every week, and when we do we'll share rides with a coule other kids. We are working out at home with a personal trainer and a hitting coach. On the weekends we'll travel as much as 6 hours one way for four games against JUCO, NAIA and DIII teams. This is the closest team where we could find to play against college competition while still in high school.

Son is an 09 grad, so we need to find out where he fits in the college baseball world. He's a middle to above average gamer, first baseman that can hit. Unfortunately, IMHO kids like him aren't recruited out of showcases. His best assets aren't the 60 (the attention getter) or a rocket arm. Those two skills get you noticed in a one or two day event. Unless of course you hit most of your 10 pitches out of the park. However, we attend showcases because it gives us chance to see coaches, see other kids and to track our progress.

Anyway, we aren't looking for scholarships to play baseball. I'd gladly pay full tuition if he could play at the school of his choice. Actually, I'd have to get a loan...but I'd gladly do it. For us, it's about him playing baseball, at the highest level he can. It's his dream, his passion and his goal. I'm in the business of giving him the opportunities he needs to achieve his goals.

So this fall, we are going to drive and drive and drive to play baseball against kids a couple years older than us. And when we are done, we'll know what our next step is. He may figure out he can't compete, but I doubt it. And when our next round of letters go out, we'll be able to say how we stacked up against kids already playing where we want to play.

Are we nuts?? Nah, not really. It's just money. And they print more money everyday. Cool
1bdad;
Open our web site <www.goodwillseries.org>

Your son maybe interested in traveling 15,000 miles with the Chicago Cubs pro scout.

This is our 25th year of International Baseball.

We play the best players '23 and under' in Australia December 17-31. We travel with 4 teams.
Rays '19 and under.
Cubs '18 and under'
American Team '16 and under
Rookies '14 and under.

Each team will play 11 games with SSK wood bats. The Australian player can sign at 16 years of age and provide very strong competition.

South Africa will join this year's Goodwill Series. Five players were drafted from our teams last year.

We travel with 4 pro scouts as coaches, a conditioning coach, a Seattle Mariners trainer,
a media person and 33 parents.

Bob Williams
[quote]IMHO kids like him aren't recruited out of showcases.

Who are you seeing who is getting recruited out of these showcases?

Anyway, we aren't looking for scholarships to play baseball. I'd gladly pay full tuition if he could play at the school of his choice. Actually, I'd have to get a loan...but I'd gladly do it. For us, it's about him playing baseball, at the highest level he can. It's his dream, his passion and his goal. I'm in the business of giving him the opportunities he needs to achieve his goals.

It's just money. And they print more money everyday.

Did you plant the money tree??!! We keep trying - but it dies, every year. Doesn't even yield a $20.
Consultant, thanks for the link. I'll take a look.

gamefan,
I'm probably not qualified to answer who I see recruited out of these showcases because you never know for sure. We have attended a few in the spring/summer and a couple scheduled in the fall.

But here's my limited opinion. You always run the 60 at or near the beginning of the showcase. The kids that run the fastest 60s it appears are always the ones coaches "track" throughout the rest of the showcase. It's amazing how many coaches manage to watch the sub 7s hit and field. Then when the average to slow players get are hitting or fielding, not nearly as many coaches paying attention.

If it's just my perception, then I've carried it with me from one event to the other. I'd be interested to know others perception, but I don't want to hijack your thread.

The bottom line is spend as much time with your kid helping them chase their dreams as you can. We all know sooner or later that dream ends, and I don't want to miss a second of it.

Our most meaningful conversations have happened with gloves on our hands or me throwing BP. We talk about lots of things way more important than baseball. The same can be said for my softball playing daughter and my computer geek younger son. I'm learning to play HALO now...WOW, baseball is much easier!!
1BDad;
My son Robert and I have conducted clinics and tryouts in China, Australia, Japan and USA.

At all tryouts we looked for running speed; bat speed and arm speed. It is important that the above is without effort.

The individual player can increase "bat speed"; "running speed" and "arm speed". It can be achieved, but not in one day, one week or one month. "Learn the game"!!

PS: can you son do the splits at 1B?
Enjoy the trip.
Bob Williams

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.