Skip to main content

Alright everyone, please disregard what I said. I'm new to this site (if I seem uneducated about it there's why), but I'll be a freshman in the spring, and I'm 15 until next July. Yes, my parents held me back before elementary school so I do have a summer birthday in 2001. I really was trying to say in reply to the original post, "don't worry about velocity-and-nothing-but-velocity," but I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression. Maybe I should find a new site since I'm only a teen. Sorry for creating a stir

RJM posted:

What I got from his post is velocity doesn't matter. It does. If he wants to play college ball he has a year to get it into the 80's. I don't concern myself with PG percentiles. I deal in real numbers, real velocity. There are a lot of parents wasting money sending their kids to PG when they might be middle to low end D3 prospects at best. It skews the percentiles. 

Don't poo poo D3.  Celebrate ALL opportunities these kids get.

Dingerswag1223 posted:

Alright everyone, please disregard what I said. I'm new to this site (if I seem uneducated about it there's why), but I'll be a freshman in the spring, and I'm 15 until next July. Yes, my parents held me back before elementary school so I do have a summer birthday in 2001. I really was trying to say in reply to the original post, "don't worry about velocity-and-nothing-but-velocity," but I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression. Maybe I should find a new site since I'm only a teen. Sorry for creating a stir

Don't worry about it Dinger...all good.  Predominantly parents on the site that have been through this stuff with their kids several times over....  Just try to learn as much as you can and it will all work out.  A number of us dads are trying to assist young players like yourself.  Stay humble and keep working away.

Absolutely, Dinger.  Hang around and listen.  There's a lot of good advice here.  There's some that will leave you scratching your head.  Just try to ignore it.

FWIW:  My son, like you, is a smaller guy who get's a lot out of his body.  As you guys grow and develop you'll get stronger and pick up velocity.  Some time in Jr. college might be beneficial if you grow and mature a little more slowly.  Then you can go on to a 4 year school.  Keep working hard.  You're doing fine.

Dinger, if you love the game as much as it sounds like you do and you have aspirations to keep playing, this site can be really helpful to you in more ways than you can imagine.  Hang around and look around.  You can get valuable information on pretty much any topic you want by searching the forums or just asking.

.. and it's not just parents here, it's scouts, trainers, umpires, college coaches, HS coaches, AD's, club coaches, parents of pro players, parents of college players of every level and more.

Last edited by cabbagedad
Dingerswag1223 posted:

Dinger, I'm a parent of a 2020 and I think you have a great attitude.  Players that focus on velo only are the people in ten years that say "I could have been someone but I stupidly blew my arm out".  I think you were trying to say that you have to be a well rounded player and you are right.

To RJM's point, it IS velo that will eventually snag the attention of college coaches but as a 2020 you have time for that.  While there is some early recruiting going on there is also recruiting of 2017's (seniors) going on.  Nothing is set in stone until you graduate, and even then I have heard of some shuffling during that summer. 

Please stick around this site, you can learn a lot, and it's also nice for us parents to get the players perspective now and then on what's really happening in high school. 

bandera posted:
RJM posted:

What I got from his post is velocity doesn't matter. It does. If he wants to play college ball he has a year to get it into the 80's. I don't concern myself with PG percentiles. I deal in real numbers, real velocity. There are a lot of parents wasting money sending their kids to PG when they might be middle to low end D3 prospects at best. It skews the percentiles. 

Don't poo poo D3.  Celebrate ALL opportunities these kids get.

I didn't post anything negative about D3's. I posted about PG velocities and middle to low end D3 prospects skewing the percentiles. PG is not the place for middle to low end D3 prospects. Middle to low end D3 prospects do not have D1 options.

Getting away from the PG aspect of the conversation; A player should be looking for a quality college baseball experience that fits his abilities and potential regardless of the level. A kid from my son's high school played for one of the losingest D3's in the country. But he' enjoyed playing. Each game he was on the field for more varsity innings than he got in all of high school.

Last edited by RJM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.