Skip to main content

@Consultant posted:

3&2

concern yourself and your son with mental and physical quickness. Quick feet!!  I wish I could prescribe the Japanese training as I watch Ohtani pitch tonight and hit. It is the story  of “Six rings”,

Bob

Thanks so much, Bob!  Absolutely agreed.  That is indeed his number one focus, along with hitting.  He’s in a good College Summer wood bat league that will start up in about 3-4 weeks.  The strength & muscle weight gain are important to him but not anywhere close to his #1 focus.

I realize that I never updated this. The summer has gone well for my son. He’s gone from 194 pounds when he came home on May 7 to now weighing 206 pounds without gaining any body fat.  The goal of 210 pounds at the beginning of fall ball is definitely within reach.

He’s been lifting weights six days a week, and two of those days per week are under the supervision of a trainer who has worked with multiple pro baseball players and who emphasizes baseball specific movements and training.

The big plus with all of this is that he has gotten noticeably faster over the course of the summer despite the weight gain. (Or more likely because of the strength gain in his lower half).  He’s even been stealing some bases in the summer league. For a while there he was stuck at 202 pounds in the middle of the summer, until we realized he needed to up his calorie intake as he was just burning off so many calories from playing in the summer league & working out.

My kid came up a little short in his muscle building goal: came home May 7 weighing 194, checked into the team training room weighing 205 today.  Hopefully he’ll be 210-215 by the start of the spring season.  

The kid does love to lift, and eat!

(His coaches want him huge.  They’ve told him he’ll still get reps at 3B but see him as primarily at 1B/DH.  5th year Senior All Conference player at SS, team MVP at 2B, which means the backup SS and utility guy are getting looks at 3B, plus they just brought in another 6.7 60 slick fielding SS freshman this fall)

Last edited by 3and2Fastball

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.