Skip to main content

It is an NCAA issue. If they are going to “govern” they need more oversight. They also need to do more research ( like they are now, in regards to eliminating the one time portion of the transfer rule). They made a mistake in giving an extra year for COVID. It was short sighted.  I think they also need to conduct exit interviews for kids entering the portal to determine if coaches are actually following the rules. I’m surprised to see what was posted on twitter, but it needs to be said.

@auberon posted:

MLB moving the draft from early June to late July is also having an effect by leaving rosters up in the air longer. Of course MLB doesn't care about collegiate players getting cut 3 weeks before classes start, but the NCAA should care and push for it to be moved back.

@auberon The MLB has its own strategic objectives, IMHO, I don't foresee the tail can wag the MLB dog

Below is a quick tweet posted.  It does not convey all the nuances, but simple high level understanding

MLB changes had direct impacted the roster management of schools

1⃣ MLB Collegiate league 👉pushed back Draft July 17

2⃣ MLB Eliminate 40 minor league team

3⃣ MLB shorten draft from 40 📉to 20

@baseballhs posted:

It is an NCAA issue. If they are going to “govern” they need more oversight. They also need to do more research ( like they are now, in regards to eliminating the one time portion of the transfer rule). They made a mistake in giving an extra year for COVID. It was short sighted.  I think they also need to conduct exit interviews for kids entering the portal to determine if coaches are actually following the rules. I’m surprised to see what was posted on twitter, but it needs to be said.

Standing on its own the  one time transfer rule is not the issue, the addition of NIL and how it is being governed at the state level has given those organizations the opportunity to create their own model.

IMHO, the NCAA saw that handwriting on the wall (9-0) decision by SCOTUS (Kavanaugh laid the groundwork for more deregulation)

House v NCAA which is schedule for Sept 2024, may have even deeper impact.

With respects to given student athletes another year, IMHO it was a no brainer, as for how can you charge me for something that I didn't use.

IMHO, the student would have filed a class action suit to get back their time.

Everybody is mad, about something with this process.

It is a new world. Each individual needs to figure out how they will navigate.

sometimes we have to take the “crooked with the straight”

August Wilson - Fences

@auberon posted:

MLB moving the draft from early June to late July is also having an effect by leaving rosters up in the air longer. Of course MLB doesn't care about collegiate players getting cut 3 weeks before classes start, but the NCAA should care and push for it to be moved back.

College coaches that are fair and know what they are doing have this discussion at exit meetings that are in JUNE. All draft eligible players discuss options with coaching staff. (Where are players getting cut 3 weeks before classes? Do commits understand if they haven't progressed since they committed that the opportunity may be there).   

Coaches will always welcome back those that made significant impacts.    They DO NOT have to promise anything to those that have graduated but still have eligibility. I am one that thinks that giving back the lost covid year and allowing a 1 year transfer at the same time caused the issue and will readjust itself. 

MLB has NOTHING to do with the NCAA which is a powerfull organization which IMO needs to do a reset.  Programs need to fully fund their scholarships, this is where NIL can be a positive asset.

Standing on its own the  one time transfer rule is not the issue, the addition of NIL and how it is being governed at the state level has given those organizations the opportunity to create their own model.

IMHO, the NCAA saw that handwriting on the wall (9-0) decision by SCOTUS (Kavanaugh laid the groundwork for more deregulation)

House v NCAA which is schedule for Sept 2024, may have even deeper impact.

With respects to given student athletes another year, IMHO it was a no brainer, as for how can you charge me for something that I didn't use.

IMHO, the student would have filed a class action suit to get back their time.

Everybody is mad, about something with this process.

It is a new world. Each individual needs to figure out how they will navigate.

sometimes we have to take the “crooked with the straight”

August Wilson - Fences

As stated many times, the current situation in college baseball has been created by three primary factors. The extra years of Covid eligibility, the transfer portal, and the reduction of the MLB draft from 40 to 20 rounds. These things are what created the mess. The addition of NLI has made the mess worse. I think everyone can agree on all of that.
  But here is where I see the disconnect. People are still treating the recruiting process the same way they did before all of this happened. Reality is not being accepted and plans are not being changed as they should be. 8th graders are still committing to D1 P5s. This makes no sense. Everyone is hanging onto the D1 dream. This makes no sense. Kids are accepting D1 walk on offers over scholly offers to JuCo, NAIA, and D2. This makes no sense.
  So people can complain all they want about the current model of NCAA baseball being broken. And it is. But to recognize that and not change your course of action because of it is…… just plain stupid. Guys that had a borderline shot at D1 in 2019 don’t have a realistic chance right now. But most are still going for it. And that’s a big reason that recruiting classes are so inflated. And a big reason the transfer portal is overflowing. Kids and parents are making bad decisions. There are about 3000 players currently in the transfer portal. I saw a quote from a D1 coach saying that over 2000 may never find a new place to play. I saw another D1 coach admit that they miss on about 50% of their incoming recruits.
  So what is my point? It is this. The thinking of the players (parents) that are feeding the system is just as broken as the system. Borderline D1 guys need to not bet on themselves. The conditions are all wrong for that. The odds are too stacked against it working out.  In today’s world if MLB scouts are following you in HS you have D1 talent. If they aren’t, you don’t. At least not yet. Go somewhere that you can get on the field and prove yourself. It doesn’t matter where it is. If you kill it you may have a chance to transfer up. If that option never develops then you are probably at the right level anyway.

I read the twitter thread.  On D1baseball, there is an article that proposes having roster limits in the fall as well as the spring.  I couldn't read it because I don't subscribe, but that seems like an easy way that the NCAA could put a bit more control on the situation.  If a coach has recruited properly, he shouldn't need to have 45 players in the fall competing to be one of the 35; he should be able have faith that out of his 35 recruits he will have the 20 he needs to play.

Of course, that wouldn't stop them cutting players in August.  But it might make coaches and families think a bit more about who is going to be there at the start of the fall.

Last edited by anotherparent
@baseballhs posted:

Even a lot of the guys who had MLB scouts following them, visiting their homes, and who turned down the opportunity to be drafted, are not getting a shot at top programs.  Unfortunately, kids now (who prioritize baseball) need to plan to transfer at some point.  I think VERY few will spend 4 years at one school.

I know that what you are saying is true about some top prospects not getting a shot at top programs. But there is a good chance that most will. What I’m saying is that if you aren’t a top prospect you have no business being at a top program to begin with.

@adbono

You make great points about commits making wrong decisions. In some states walking onto a state D1 program is affordable. They want the D1 experience and you can't talk them or their folks out of it. They will either  move down, drop out but might try to get back up again. Agree that many guys have killed it in Mid D1 programs and now moving up to better programs for better $$$ in the draft. And it doesn't matter what round anymore. Unfortunetly this will knock a player off a team. Players having to drop down has  been happening since my son was in college. 

While we see players not doing well, others thrive. It's all about the coaching staff at this point. From what I hear and read about going in a specific region, not good. But the bottom line is the better players will always want to play for a winning team. Gone are the days that the player wanted to try to make the program better because it is "what can you do for me today".

Dropping 20 rounds in the draft is not causing the issue. Most of these players were not top prospects but rather the guys who made up the team for the top prospects and HS players who didn't have better college options.

As CBI mentioned, individual state laws dictate what programs can and cannot do with NLI. NCAA giving no direction messed that one up. This is not coaches faults. It's all up to the collectives. Yes, kids are transfering for NIL opportunities.

Here is another issue.  Our kids are used to a certain lifestyle. They come from homes where they have their own rooms, own bathrooms. Then they go tour a programs facility where they have to share and it's not as desirable as the P5 they visited last week where you have your own room and bathroom. Or the clubhouse is amazing. Programs need to put $$ into facilities. Their are mid D1 programs that have terrific baseball facilities. They draw some of the better players into their programs. I will give you an example, Southern Miss.

This is happening everywhere, not just for athletes. Universities are competing by offering better lifestyles, better food in the cafeteria, better gyms to workout, etc.

I lived in a college dorm where the bathroom was down the hall. How did I ever survive that !?!?

JMO

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.