Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Depends on the girl for sure!  It seems like many of the most successful athletes I've seen over the years have some kind of foundation they seem to rely on - whether it's  girlfriend, wife, church, hobbies, whatever - something solid they can go to  that is separate from their identity as a player.

Corn Jr. went 100 plus games last year and 120 or so games this year as a catcher no problem, he could  have gone more.  His body  was beat up, one big bruise but that never stopped him.  You just have to want to be there everyday, be able to weather the tough times when you are struggling or cost your team a game.  You  need to be able to  handle the stress of if you don't get it done, someone else will come in and take your place because it's going to happen.  You need a love of the game above all else (except God and family of course), and the realization of how tough it is on any relationship and a willingness to put the game above that relationship if necessary.  You have to get up everyday looking forward to getting to  the field.  Good teammates and management go a long way to making it happen.  There is no magic formula, your best bet is having him talk to those who have been there to see what they went through.  In many ways it's easier than a 50 game college season where classes, homework and social life intrudes.

I had to look it up:  son played 119 games and had 454 at bats from last February to August.   Quite a bit more than the 20 game high school season in our area.   

Like Corn said above, you have to love it.  Everyday, love it.   It's a grind.  

I bought Steve Springer's CDs one year as a stocking stuffer.  Here is a link.  He used to post on the boards here a while back:

http://www.qualityatbats.com/b...-speaker-request.php

It couldn't hurt.  I actually enjoyed listening to them, too.  He has one called "The "Mental side of Hitting"

Last edited by keewart

I feel there's been some good suggestions here and that Heads up Baseball by Ken Ravizza is an excellent read.  But, to get ready mentally in the off season it seems best to divert one's mind and let it rest concerning what one needs to do during the season.  Diversions are good in the off season.  

More pointedly, what can really help in the off season is when one starts their conditioning training with goals of getting into the best physical shape they can.  If you're not in great physical shape during the season, the grind can wear you down and affect your mental side a lot.  The longer a player can stay fit during the season, the more they can handle the stress.  This was one of the big factors that my son figured out after the first season, as he really struggles through his first year of pro ball as he got pretty tired physically when really did affect his mental side.

Now my son has found a place that does a great job of training.  It is one that does a lot of work with the highest level of pro athletes.  It is somewhat pricey, but son feels it is well worth it.  He says it's best if one doesn't try to skimp on training in the off season.

Here's a web site for that kind of training:   http://www.pmr-performance.com/

joemktg posted:

I'm fairly certain Joe is properly preparing for the physical stresses from next year's 142 game season, but it's the mental grind where he/we may be short.

Can anyone point to resources that will help prep for the mental grind (besides meditation)?

Every player is different. He has had a taste now with Rookie Ball so he will be fine going in. I think one thing that is critical, not so much for off season Prep, but for regular season grind is this: Do not be afraid to give your body a break when you need it. He will slump & want to go take 500 hacks in the cage & this can often compound the problem. He will need to find his own routine & rhythm. Talk to veteran guys. Ask his coaching resources how they did it & the mistakes they made. What would they have done different? These are guys with tons of Big League experience & a wealth of knowledge. Try some different approaches & when something clicks, ride that wave as long as it carries you. Make adjustments & stay positive. Forget about the #s & focus on approach. I am pulling for him.

Regards, Steve A.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.