Skip to main content

Hey there I am an upcoming freshman with a very busy summer that is taking a toll on my knees and body. I am the starting catcher for my high school's JV summer team, and we play Thursday,Friday,Saturday, and Sunday each week. We also have Lifting followed by practice on Tuesdays. I also play football as a LineBacker and we have Lifting/Conditioning/Practice on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. This is very strainious on my knees. What can I do to get (and keep) them feeling fresh. Specificaly it is a dull ache right in the middle of both knees. They crack and pop as I squat and it is very painful. How do I fix this.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

RaiderCatcher,

Sorry for the late reply, Since you are very active playing football and baseball, you need to perform general maintenance on yourself, with soft tissue work and mobility, to keep your muscles fresh and mobile, because over time when you go go go and don't address your limitations and take care of your body, your body will put on the brakes on for you via injury, pain etc.

I highly recommend you purchase a foam roller or if you want more pressure, get a PVC and tape it, it's cheaper and more intense then a foam roller. Also go to your local dicks, sports authority and grab 3 lacrosse balls, you ll have one and you are going to tape the other two together.

Once you get these items, let me know and I'll show you things you can do with them. Hope this helps
Originally Posted by RaiderCatcher:

Hey there I am an upcoming freshman with a very busy summer that is taking a toll on my knees and body. I am the starting catcher for my high school's JV summer team, and we play Thursday,Friday,Saturday, and Sunday each week. We also have Lifting followed by practice on Tuesdays. I also play football as a LineBacker and we have Lifting/Conditioning/Practice on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. This is very strainious on my knees. What can I do to get (and keep) them feeling fresh. Specificaly it is a dull ache right in the middle of both knees. They crack and pop as I squat and it is very painful. How do I fix this.

What position do you play for your HS JV team during in-season baseball?

Over the summer, catching four days in a row will takes it toll on any catcher.  Is there another catcher to rotate in?  Maybe you ask about getting some time at one of the corners.  In any event, you need to communicate honestly with your coaches about your aches and pains.  I know this is hard to do, but a good coach is not going to overload you with catching duties, especially if he knows you doing football as well, especially if it's your schools summer team and he has high hopes for you contributing during the spring season.  Good luck, and take care of those knees!

I agree with the ice baths.  Being a former catcher, make sure you get a little rest.  You are growing and catching that much is not good.  Don't let yourself stay sore for long periods of time.  I am speaking from experience.  Nine knee surgeries and a replacement at 43.  I have been in your shoes and was too hard-headed to speak up.  Those that have not sat back there behind home plate don't understand.  You have a lot of games ahead of you.  Don't try to be a hero. 

Originally Posted by lefthookdad:
Originally Posted by RaiderCatcher:

I know this is hard to do, but a good coach is not going to overload you with catching duties, especially if he knows you doing football as well, especially if it's your schools summer team and he has high hopes for you contributing during the spring season.  Good luck, and take care of those knees!

Tell this to the idiot who caught our catcher 20+ innings in 24 hours, plus about 50-100 bull pen pitches before each game, the first week of the season and then got mad at him because he could hardly walk afterwards.   

Old post, but rest and recovery is important. 

I've seen it from a pitchers standpoint as well, it's unfortunate. A believe if a coach is serious about being a coach, they need to learn the anatomy and physiology of the body. People just don't understand, just cause we don't get hit by another human being like football, doesn't mean this sport doesn't take a tole on your body. Throwing is very unnatural and violent  on the body and causes imbalances and injury over time.
Chasek19 posted:
RaiderCatcher,

Sorry for the late reply, Since you are very active playing football and baseball, you need to perform general maintenance on yourself, with soft tissue work and mobility, to keep your muscles fresh and mobile, because over time when you go go go and don't address your limitations and take care of your body, your body will put on the brakes on for you via injury, pain etc.

I highly recommend you purchase a foam roller or if you want more pressure, get a PVC and tape it, it's cheaper and more intense then a foam roller. Also go to your local dicks, sports authority and grab 3 lacrosse balls, you ll have one and you are going to tape the other two together.

Once you get these items, let me know and I'll show you things you can do with them. Hope this helps

Would you please send me the information about what to do with roller, PVC and lacrosse balls?  Thanks so much.

Last edited by Yellow Jacket

I think Chasek19 is gone.  Basically the roller is designed to loosen muscles.  you can probably find good info elsewhere on the internet as to its use.  The PVC approach appears to be a homemade roller, so nothing really to gain.  As for the lacrosse balls, someone on here mentioned that they were really good for working out certain muscles - I think they mentioned back muscles where you put the lacrosse ball between your back and the wall and work out any soreness.  I've done the roller on my legs (hamstring, IT band) and the goal was to get leg muscles in better shape so as to aid knee movement.

You only have two and once damaged, they'll never be the same.  I'd sit back and review what you are trying to accomplish and talk to both coaches about your seven day a week program.  I would not think either coach is going to want you to overwork you self to a point where you become no use to either. If your knees are bothering you now, something else is not far behind.   You're knees are telling you that you are doing too much and or your have some issue in your mechanics for squatting (poor range of motion in some body part required to squat properly - your body will compensate elsewhere to allow you to squat, but incorrectly and added strain will be in the wrong body part).  I'd also have someone that knows what they are doing check your form while lifting and catching.   Take care of your body. Load up on amino acids, steak, sleep, range of motion stretching, and light swimming.  Light swimming will help you relax  or sit in a cool (body temp) Jacuzzi instead.  And while your in the ice tub, study so you get good grades.

Back to the ice bath thing, my son is a 2020 catcher and has caught for about 6 years. When he has to catch multiple games on back to back days he always takes an ice bath before the 2nd day. It does wonders to help your legs get back under you for the 2nd day. He sits in the tub empty and fills it up with cold water, then I add the ice. This way is much easier than just taking the plunge in ice cold water. The plunge will make a sissy out of a tough catcher in a heart beat lol

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.