Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The key is your front leg. If you're a right-handed batter, once you get your load and your stride you should either land and 'go', or and and 'slow'. essentially what this means is you already have your stride and are ready to swing. If it is a fastball then you land and go (swing), if it is an offspeed pitch then you land and slow (wait on it). it is important in both cases that you keep your weight back and then come back to the center with your follow-through (do NOT have your weight in the front at the end of your swing).

also, be sure not to leak. aka keep your hands back until youre going to swing. also, make sure youre upper-body is straight, not bent over.

since i wasnt exactly sure what you described as your problem, i gave you pretty much a lot of random stuff. some of which may be useful or may not.
Well, maybe YOU don't think much, but the rest of us do.

No one is saying you should talk to yourself as you go. Not THAT kind of thinking. But when you practice a habit, you begin slowly, then do repetition until you can recognize and react more quickly. The "recognize" phase is thinking. Thinking has to happen. Luckily, the brain is an amazing thing, faster than a supercomputer.

It's the brain that tells the body whether to swing (or not) and where to put the bat barrel. The brain processes what the eyes see and sends info via motor nerves to the muscles. That processing is sometimes called "thinking". But after thousands of reps it happens so fast you may not even realize you did it.

Obviously you don't have time to stand there and ponder your options. But then, no one said that, did they?
blue dog,
you havent been much help.Id appreciate it if you wouldnt ridicule the people that have given me such constructive advice from day one here.Even if you were joking,it didnt appear that way off the bat.

Thanks to those that mentioned some advice.Took some balls at the cage yesterday and I loaded up earlier and that helped me in not lunging at the ball.We have 4 summer games against some good HS this week so I hope it pays off.
thanks again
FC27
quote:
An example is, when you are asleep the subconscience brain solves problems you couldn't solve during the day....You simply wake up with the solution to your problem....This happens because the conscience part of the brain shuts down when you sleep....In effect, you quit thinking.....

BlueDog,

I don't "think" this has ever happened to me. If anything each day I wake up more confused.
BD

Like what---your blank space--- Mr BD you need to get into the real world about hitting--it is called one on one with a student not words on a web site--every hitter is different and needs specific things conducive to his ability, size, strength and ability-- you cannot make judgemenbts as you do without seeing the pupil--- and by the way others may know more than you
Since futurecatcher27 apparently left this afternoon on his way to some games this week secure in the knowledge that he was greatly assisted by the hsbaseballweb.com [and we all wish him nothing but the best of luck in his upcoming games I am sure] it seems some of the "adults" are still around so I will jump in. Better late than never my father always said.

A hitter should mentally and physically prepare before every game. A hiter should mentally and physically prepare before each at bat in every game. A hitter should mentally and physically prepare before each pitch in each at bat in every game. Can we all agree on that? That mental preparation must be accomplished by thinking. That physical preparation must be accomplished by practice. I am sure we all will disagree on what mental process the hitter should be using in thinking in each instance and we all will disgree on what physical process the hitter must practice in each instance but we all should be able agree that thinking and practicing must be undertaken in each instance or the hitter cannot arrive at home plate optimumly prepared to hit.

But, crucially and ironically, when the hitter is in the box and the pitcher is about to deliver the pitch the thinking should stop and the hitter must trust his instincts that have been honed by all that mental preparation and physical preparation that has taken place at a prior point in time. Perhaps earlier today in the batting cage, during this game while sitting on the bench and watching the pitcher and the defense in action, while in the on deck circle, while striding to the plate, while entering the box and just a few seconds ago when the hitter prepared himself to hit the pitcher's next delivery. But now, before the windup is started, before the stretch has commenced, before the pitch to be thrown is selected, what should the hitter think? Nothing. He must focus all his concentration on the pitcher and trust that all that preparation will aid him in his quest to recognize whether to take or/and how to hit this next pitch. For this small spot in time, the hitter must not think. He needs all his faculties tightly focused in order to most efficiently react to what he sees. I ask simply that we do not quibble over conscious or subconscious, ego or id, pro-life or pro-choice, Clinton or Bush. However, it is a truism of the highest baseball order that if the hitter has to think about what he sees in order to react, it is to late. He is doomed. The opportunity is gone and the pitcher has won. JMHO of course.

TW344
''Quit thinking and hit.'' Are you serious BlueDog? Is it even possible to hit if you're not thinking. Why don't you get in the box and hit without thinking and see how good you do. A batter must have full concentration at all times. He must be able to pick up the spin on the ball early and determine what pitch is being thrown. He also has to decide if it's going to be a ball or strike, if he wants to swing or not. This all involves thinking.
Blue Dog:

“The problem with your way of thinking are the words “mental approach"

In my opinion, the problem with YOUR way of thinking is the way words get spun, omitted and often get over glamorized.

“When discussing how to swing a bat to hit a baseball, the thought process needs to be non-existent”

Not so. That’s when a lot of careful thought needs to go eliminating the gray area instead of expanding it. Making things clear and simple so even the novice can understand. Putting things in Layman terms, not Niymon terms.

Instead of reading a self-help book or two and then talking down to others with your new found knowledge, why can’t you carefully word things in order to help others instead of confuse and irritate them?

In college I minored in Psychology and think it has helped me to become a better baseball coach and private instructor. It has also helped me better understand a few of the psychopaths on the baseball Internet boards (not that you are one).

1. “When recognizing a pitch, there should be no mental approach.....Let the eyes do their thing and let the brain do it's thing.....Then, the nerves and muscles can do their thing.....”

2. “You shouldn't have a mental approach.....That requires thinking.....And, you don't have time to think and hit....”

No one here disagrees with number 1. But you seem to confuse the conscious thinking required to form a pre swing, mental plate approach with the subconscious thinking/reacting that occurs during the stride and swing.

A conscious mental approach is formed in the dugout and on deck circle and immediately following every pitch in the batters box. In the box, the conscious mind can think about the game and situation even while addressing the plate, taking a stance, moving back and forth in that stance (subconsciously). But once the pitcher starts his motion, the subconscious mind should take over (“clear the mechanism”). At that point the hitter should have already done his conscious homework (mental approach) and begin looking for the ball to appear so he can take a good hack at it.

In review, a “mental approach” can be formed (consciously) during any of the following
1. In dugout
2. In the on deck circle
3. In the batters box immediately following a pitch you didn’t swing at
4. Before you get signs from the dugout or 3b coach
5. After you get signs from the dugout or 3b coach
6. While you are addressing the plate
7. While you are moving in your stance.

Then, once the pitcher begins his motion, “you don’t have time to think” (consciously). That’s when you “see the ball, hit the ball” (subconsciously) so to speak.

Hope this helps,

THop

Develop a better “mental approach” before posting. Teach the steak not the sizzle.
Last edited by THop
I believe the key is to practice and get enough repetitions in that you instill confidence and eliminate "panic." Being able to stay back really means that the hitter has gained that confidence that the fastball can not beat them and so, they are more relaxed. In short, I believe that this was my biggest failing as a coach this year. I just couldn't get a portion of our lineup to this point. Therefore, they launched early, we're terrible at going the other way and in general played into how most teams pitched us this year. JMHO!
Last edited by CoachB25
we played yesterday.I went 2-3 with 2 1b`s.

The first AB I got down 0-2,worked it to 2-2,then I saw a changeup,and I took it the other way(RF) for a single.

Second AB I singled in a first pitch fastball.

With my coaches permission,I opened my stance up a bit more so I could step into the pitch.That really helped me see the ball better and I wasnt late on my pitches.

yes I was thinking when Im in the batters box.You have to think what to do with every possible pitch that can be thrown before it comes,that way you are ready,and can recognize a mistake if 1 is made.
Last edited by futurecatcher27
Alot of times when a coach tells you whats possibly coming is because he very likely picked up a sign from the catcher.

Chances are most coaches,with 2 strikes,are telling their guys to widen and and protect anything 3-4 inches both ways.

Going up to hit without a plan or general idea of what to do is just hacking bluedog,and I think you know this.
Dont tell me with guys on base,a hitter should go up there and just hack at any pitch in the zone.What if a hit and run is on,are you still going to just "have a clear mind and swing."

Im not saying think the whole time,but you need a general idea of what should be done by you, the player.

There are plenty of approaches to hitting bluedog.Im sure yours is good,im sure most everyones here is as well.That doesnt mean yours is better then theirs or vice versa.You can have more than 1 viewpoint on hitting,its often a good thing
quote:
Originally posted by BlueDog:
To use your analogy comparing the brain to a computer........The conscience part of the brain would be the hardware.....The subconscience part of the brain would be the software.....

If the hardware interferes with the software, the software is compromised and can't utilize it's optimum effectiveness.....

Conscious and subconscious? Is that what you mean?
Bluedog I dont agree with everything you say on here but I do agree with the your understanding of the brain. I know it works with competitive shooters and I can see that it should work with hitting. As a sporting clays shooter if you try to think about how to break especially hard targets you will never ever get to the 90 percent broken catagory. but with practice at letting the brain take over you can reach that goal. I just think maybe you should try to get along with the guys on here a little bit. Everyone has a different idea about hitting and no one really knows...Swing an axe its all in there.
Wow am I ever confused about hitting, but to join the fray a bit...our eyes do a great deal for us...amazing invention by the Big Guy...but one thing they cannot do is follow a moving target smoothly---our eyes are connected to our sockets by muscle and ligs...their movement is more of a "jerky" movement along an axis...sorta like seeing every 3rd frame of a movie. Our brain, and in this SJS is correct it is our sub-concious brain function that "fills in" the gaps in the visual input...have you ever read one of those small paragraphs where you are asked to count the instances of the word "of" or "if?" We often miss them because our eyes race over the words--skipping from one to the next and our subconcious is filling in the blanks...its the reason we "react" to something that happens quickly---if we had time to think many of us would not be here! My example is being hit by a baseball---do you think, "get out of the way" or do you simply react? Reactions are in our subconcious and control our quick muscle reactions...I was always taught to think about the situation (a deliberate evaluation) before the pitch...then simply react to the ball and allow my "engrained through repetition" instincts to work.
quote:
Originally posted by Gshew:
I was always taught to think about the situation (a deliberate evaluation) before the pitch...then simply react to the ball and allow my "engrained through repetition" instincts to work.

Gshew,

IMO - Great observation.

It helps in every sport to visualize (and sometimes even anticipate) a particular play or move.

quote:
Originally posted by BlueDog:
quote:
.....if we had time to think

Great point......There is no time to think in the box.....Coaches who stand on third and bark instructions between pitches should understand this.....

Doggie,

You need to get out on the field - and away from the computer lab and the whacked out theories that ensue.

I havent seen a 3rd base coach - or any coach for that matter - "Bark out" instructions to the hitter in between pitches since the little league days.

Get out on the field my man.

LOL
I’m one who believes in the importance of vision and tracking in hitting a baseball.

Understood that (I guess) it’s been proven the eyes can not really see the ball make contact with the bat. However… Wouldn’t the longer a hitter can track the ball and the better he can see the ball 50 feet away be a gigantic advantage?

By the way, right now my wife is driving down the highway at 75 mph. My eyes have no problem seeing and reading even the small signs clearly even as we pass them. I believe I could stand on the side of the highway and track cars close enough to read the make on them right up until they pass by. Of course we’re talking about a big object rather than a baseball. But wouldn’t some eyes be better than others.

If a hitter does not swing… can he see the baseball as it reaches the plate? If so… wouldn’t it be a benefit if he could do this while swinging. I do understand the theory behind being unable to change your swing path at a certain point.

These thoughts only deal with vision and tracking. IMO the better your vision and the longer you track the better you’re likely to hit.

Sorry, for bringing this up!
"There's a fun book called "The Umpire Strikes Back", by Ron Luciano, a major league umpire who similarly doubted Williams's claim:

"[Ted Williams] claimed he could actually see the ball hit the bat. He said he could see if the bat hit one seam, two seams or missed the seams entirely. ... I told him that was impossible. The human eye doesn't work that precisely. Doctors knew it. Scientists knew it. Umpires knew it.

...In spring training, in 1972, he offered to prove it to me. Admittedly I was reluctant to go along with him. In his prime Williams had been one of the greatest hitters in baseball history, but at this time he was fifty-four years old. A hitter's reflexes usually start fading in his mid-thirties, and in Williams's case that was two decades earlier. I didn't want to embarrass him by shattering one of his beliefs, but he insisted. With my head down, I followed him to a practice field. He covered the barrel of a bat with pine tar and stepped up to the plate. A hard-throwing rookie had been recruited to pitch to him. I took a deep breath, anticipating what was going to be a very sad moment.

The young pitcher threw a bullet and Williams hit a rocket to center field. "One seam," he shouted confidently over his shoulder.

"Sure, Ted," I agreed. I was just glad he was still able to hit the ball. Someone retrieved it and brought it over to me. One seam was covered with pine tar.

He hit another pitch. "About a quarter inch above the $#%$%$% seam," he said.

That ball had a pine-tar scar just a quarter inch above the seam. He called five of seven perfectly, the most amazing display of hitting ability I've ever seen."
Swing quickness decides how long a hitter can wait to swing.....

Timing is a result of swing quickness and how well a hitter uses his vision....Amateur hitters, as a rule, don't have enough swing quickness or use their vision well enough to wait very long to swing....

That's why you hear coaches telling hitters to start their swing earlier....Doesn't work, but they do say it......Another thing coaches like to say is, get your hands through quicker....Doesn't work, either.....
Bluedog, excellent point on the vision comment. Pitch recognition is something that has to be a part of BP and I'm not talking about lob BP. Also, there is a lot to be said for the drills such as shooting tennis balls out of machines color coded and marked with numbers/letters etc. where the batter works on their vision and identifying both color and number. Color will always come first. However, if you are persistent, the number or letter will be identified more consistently.

Regarding phrases, most phrases are useful IF THE PLAYER UNDERSTANDS WHAT YOU MEAN. That isn't always the case. I also believe that when you use those phrases, you have to then figure out why a certain inability on the part of the hitter is manifested. It then is the coach's job to discern how to improve the player's weakness. The example given about "getting the hands through the ball quicker" would then require the coach to develope a drill, identify a weakness ... and communicate a "fix" to the player via repetitions in some manner to enable the player to improve. JMHO!
Guys i need your advice for a hitter that invairably starts having quick feet at the plate.By this i mean when his stride is short and slow he drives the ball and has good angles to the ball.After time though he might start to double tap and then stride longer causing him to collapse the back leg {back hip,hamstring}has a quick bat but when he starts to do this he starts to lose his bat speed.i understand why, he is becoming disconnected.He has always said he does'nt realize he starts going down this path until he is there.He is a shortstop and has naturally quick feet.What would your advice be on this problem? Should he work on just having a lift-no stride.Naturally he has always said he feels better with a stride.I believe he is trying to get his power from the feet and not his core or middle to the ball.DO you think i am off base here?Blue and Vance i do like a lot of what you post on here and learn a lot at times from the banter.I wish i had found this board years ago.Thanks in advance fellow baseballers.
Last edited by hopeinternal
bdt, I see alot of hitters who do this.....And, I have found they are not using their vision properly....That makes them not trust their swing quickness, IMO.....They are not getting that quick snapshot of the ball in the first few feet of travel out of the pitcher's hand....Getting lazy with vision technique causes problems with swing movement....
Last edited by BlueDog

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.