Skip to main content

I have been watching the states which have moved HS football to the spring and consequently adjusted their sports seasons.  I find it discouraging that the spring/summer baseball seasons are being equally shortened (if not more so) after having been mostly lost in 2020.  I would advocate anyone who has influence in these decisions in other states to remember that the spring 2020 sports should not be bearing the brunt of these compressed schedules.  If any sports should be restored to their previous lengths, it should be those which lost in 2020.  

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

With a lot of the schools starting off the year online, I had my doubts that my son's school would have a baseball class and fall ball. Got the notification that baseball class will start next week also! Online learning during the day and then in person baseball class from 3pm to 5pm. I am hoping this keeps up. Definitely will be a test period to see how the Spring season will work if they have one.

I think there will not be very many states that play high school football in Fall 2020.  What about having a "split season" for HS baseball in 2020-2021 in those cases?  Schools could play about half of their season from late September to early November (adjust for the weather in your state).  Do not play any games that count toward seeding of any playoffs.  If spring seasons are compressed and baseball is delayed to starting in May, then play the other half of the season and your playoffs.

I would think such a plan would need to be implemented fairly soon, but almost any pitcher who would pitch JV or varsity has not shut down from summer ball and probably does something in the fall.  Maybe some would rather play fall travel ball, but if the state agrees not to seed with these  fall games, then those pitchers can sit our or play their other positions.  It seems like a way to get on the field and get the full complement of games whereas I don't believe 2021 HS baseball will get a full season any other way.

Just an idea for discussion among a very smart group of baseball minds.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

@KYDAD2023 posted:

I think there will not be very many states that play high school football in Fall 2020.  What about having a "split season" for HS baseball in 2020-2021 in those cases?  Schools could play about half of their season from late September to early November (adjust for the weather in your state).  Do not play any games that count toward seeding of any playoffs.  If spring seasons are compressed and baseball is delayed to starting in May, then play the other half of the season and your playoffs.

I would think such a plan would need to be implemented fairly soon, but almost any pitcher who would pitch JV or varsity has not shut down from summer ball and probably does something in the fall.  Maybe some would rather play fall travel ball, but if the state agrees not to seed with these  fall games, then those pitchers can sit our or play their other positions.  It seems like a way to get on the field and get the full complement of games whereas I don't believe 2021 HS baseball will get a full season any other way.

Just an idea for discussion among a very smart group of baseball minds.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Hard no for me.  Many pitchers trained since Feb assuming there would be a Spring season.  Then they had their Summer recruiting and travel season.  So their arms won't be good for a Fall season.  Would rather they just push to Spring, and wait for conditions across the country to improve.  That may mean a truncated or pushed back schedule to accommodate other winter sports like Football, but I've never liked the notion of swapped season, either fully or partially.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.