Skip to main content

There are some VERY knowledgable people on this board and I need some advice on whether or not to let my kid play ball in high school. I have an incoming freshman that has trained hard and currently plays on a high end Texas select team. After all these years of working hard to get better, is it even necesary to play HS ball if your school program is lousy. No offense to the school but we have English teachers coaching our JV team. Do you really even need to let your kid go into an environment with no instruction if your goal is to play D1 or D2 baseball? Thanks
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Playing HS baseball, regardless of how good or bad you, as a parent, might think the coaching and program are, is part of a young mans HS life.

Where is the young man going to play during the baseball season? Most states do not permit the boys to play outside of school during the season thus there are no outside teams because there are no players.

You boy is only a freshman --allow him to enjoy
his HS life with baaeball being part of it.

My own son played on a HS team that never won 6 games in a season for the three years of his HS varsity career and he played major Division I baseball on scholarship.

Finally-- as the dad of an incoming freshman are you sure you know enough about the HS program and the coaches to make the determination that you are making?

As for English teachers coaching the JV some might tell you that having English teachers is quite possible better than football coaches.
I was talking with a local HS coach the other day and asked him what his feelings were about the importance of HS ball and college recruiting. He said that he has seen a significant reduction of college coaches at games over the past few years. He said that they now rely more heavily on Showcases and select summer ball.

My personal feeling is that your son would benefit from playing HS ball. Being on a HS team and representing the school that he attends builds confidence, character and pride. Making the JV or Varsity team will be something that he always remembers. While the level of competition and coaching may or may not be up to the select level, the other intangibles have to be considered. JMO.
If he is a good player and can make the hs team, you would be doing him a disservice by not letting him play for his school for many, many reasons, only some of which actually pertain to the field. I must add that I know some English teachers who have made excellent hs baseball coaches, sending more than a few players to the big leagues.
Last edited by jemaz
I have to agree with TRHit. Playing high school baseball is not JUST about scoring runs and turning double plays just as eating is not just about providing nourishment to our body. Taking this approach contradicts the team concept that is necessary to succeed in baseball. If I were in this same situation I would be afraid a college coach would think my son considers himself too good to play for his high school team. If he’s THINKS he’s too good to play for his high school team how will he fit with the college team? I personally think it’s sending the wrong message. Besides, wouldn’t it be great to have your son come into a program and lead the team in all offensive and defensive categories and be selected to the all-state team as a freshman? That would look pretty impressive on his resume.
Fungo
In our area the high school baseball program is also very week. In the last few years we have had an influx of talented select ballplayers join the team but the win/loss records don't change. It's very fustrating for parents and players that have gotten used to higher caliber programs. However, having just about completed the freshman year with our son, I do recommend your son play HS baseball for the reasons cited above. Plus, if your schools like ours, your son will automatically get 6th period PE the rest of his HS years which is great for strength training and conditioning. The primary caution I have for you is to make sure the coaches don't over throw your son if he's a good pitcher.
I think it is very importaqnt to have your son play HS ball. It will help him learn to budget his time and develop lasting friendships. Colleges will want to look at his academics and seeing that he could handle the classroom and athletics is a big plus. Also, it will be easier for him to do so when he gets to college if he learns how in high school. I also agree with the notion that he will get some attention if he is a clear standout on the team.
Thanks All, I do want my son to represent his school and play with his friends, however I don't want him ruined. He is a pitcher and throws hard, last week one of our JV pitchers threw over 220 pitches in on week. He started and threw the whole game on Tues, then again on Saturday. Please understand I am not knocking English teachers or any others, but our schools JV coaches do not know baseball. They are just a fill in until varsity. It is this way with a lot of our sports, s****r, softball, and even track. Our school is only about football, we don't play football. I thought 16U and 18U select teams were playing during the same season as high school?
After 3/4 of the freshman season gone, mine hasn't learned much about baseball but a lot about HS athletcis and the b.s. that goes with it.

I am glad he did it, though. Its only a 3 month season and there has been much character building that will help prepare him for the next step.

Here's a similar discussion on this board:

http://hsbaseballweb.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6616002781/m/146105199
Last edited by CoachRobert
quote:
Originally posted by downandout:
There are some VERY knowledgable people on this board and I need some advice on whether or not to let my kid play ball in high school. I have an incoming freshman that has trained hard and currently plays on a high end Texas select team. After all these years of working hard to get better, is it even necesary to play HS ball if your school program is lousy. No offense to the school but we have English teachers coaching our JV team. Do you really even need to let your kid go into an environment with no instruction if your goal is to play D1 or D2 baseball? Thanks

In the hierarchy of coaching/teaching, I'm at the top of the rankings because I teach Social Studies. Heck, those English Teachers are out there "learning dem kids nutin." On a serious note, high school ball will be exactly what you want it to be. If can be of great benefit if... It seems to me, you already have your answer. Therefore, if I were you and I suspected that my child is in danger, then ACT LIKE A PARENT AND REMOVE YOUR CHILD. As a coach, I'd support you 100%. If you were at my school, I'd prefer that you do so. A child becomes torn between their loyalty to their coach and their love of their parents. Why do that to them. My humble advice is that if you can't support the coach and school team, TAKE YOUR SON OFF. JMHO!
Last edited by CoachB25
As a select team coach I feel strongly that players need to play high school baseball.

We had a player last year that did not play high school baseball for various reasons and had the worse season of their lives. He was not ready when our summer season started and was two months behind the rest of the team the entire year.

If a player does not play high school baseball I'd be concerned. Does he not want to listen to the coach? Is there a respect problem? He is coachable? Is he anti social? These are questions I would ask before offering a summer slot on my team to someone not playing high school baseball. In 99 percent of the cases I would not take the player.

Of course if you know of any pitchers whether they are in school or not call or email me. LOL biglaugh
Bob is right in that the spring is a good warm up for summer. Make every effort to work it out with the coach. Doing do will likely result in limited innings.

If the coach is hurting the kid, then leave the team and don't look back. Don't worry what anyone else thinks if you do. If the kid can play the game, then he will. Period.

quote:
I thought 16U and 18U select teams were playing during the same season as high school?

It's my understanding that select teams play in the summer After the high school season, in your state as well as most everywhere, except Iowa.
Last edited by Dad04
downandout.

As a former high school coach for close to 30 years let me vent. I keep hearing select ball. I want to start a team I "select". I coached in a fairly large school. I remember 80-100 new kids trying out. Did we not "select" them. Why would you not play in high school. My jv coach was a science teacher was with me for close to 25 years. many of our players went on to play in college 2 were drafted. Not bad for a high school team. Not to be disrespectful your son is a freshman let him play.
I think Fungo touched on this above......

Not playing HS ball, regardless of your true intentions and concerns, implies that you are in the game for yourself....will I be seen, will I be recruited, will I be brought down by these inferior players?

It has to be about the team first and the individual second. I don't imagine that there are many coaches who would want a player who approached it from the flip side.

Also note the point about playing for the love of the game. When games are going on, most baseball players would gladly be on any team than no team at all.....

Talk to the coach in the fall about his opinions on pitch count and then let him know about yours. It probably won't be nearly as different as you think.
Last edited by bluesky
quote:
I don't imagine that there are many coaches who would want a player who approached it from the flip side.

I don't imagine a college coach wants the player to show up in a sling over their shoulder either. Lotta that going around.

There is literally no "I" in college baseball. In the extremely rare case a player was throwing 200+ pitches week after week, for the spring, summer, or fall coach, somebody needs to speak up.
I go with the majority here.
Just one thing, that player is pitching 220 pitches per week because the PARENTS are allowing it to happen. Stand your ground.

Heard a story today about a player that was a fine pitcher in HS who could not get drafted (what he wanted) because he had thrown TOO much in HS. Too many arm problems.
Last edited by TPM
Agree with fungo, TR, H3 & others...He needs to play HS.
For reference & some more great education in baseball, here are a couple local/territorial sites that will help guide you.

http://www.uil.utexas.edu/ath/ UIL governs Texas Athletics

http://eteamz.active.com/5abaseball/index.cfm?
Houston 5 A Baseball has a wealth of info on all things baseball in the Houston area, including select teams, etc. Check them out!

hsbaseballweb has some great articles, too. Use the green pull out tab to learn about timeline, making the high school team, etc. etc. etc!

Good luck to your son!
I was lucky enough to do both. You play travel ball pretty much for yourself and to get noticed so you can play in college. Yea, you want to win, but it's not like representing your school and playing in front of your classmates and you parents. Travel teams come and go from year to year and usually the high school team is together for four years. You get to play with kids you've grown up with and will play with them probably for the last time.

I love playing high school baseball and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.