Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Loyola you say has much better academics, plays in a better league and both HS produce great players so for my son I would push for Loyola.   Sure a few more players at La Mirada go D1 but if you are D1 material you will be found at Loyola, according to you, and if for any reason you won't be playing college baseball (injury perhaps) you have better academics to get you into the school of your choice.   To me, your question sounds like an endorsement for Loyola.   This would be an easy decision in our house but please note I don't know either school and I am basing my answer on your descriptions.

Last edited by Gunner Mack Jr.

Easy decision- go with academics and Loyola. I am biased as I teach at a Jesuit HS. If Loyola plays against Harvard-Westlake, it is visible baseball-wise as well. If you have what it takes to play baseball at the next level, you will. You will benefit going to the better academic school (and do well academically). Loyola likely have a better college placement department in the event baseball doesn't work out. Just my take from someone who is on the other coast.

Go with the better academics hands down but if you are school shopping are there other factors?  Is one significantly closer to your home or where you train.  It's LA, 20 miles the wrong direction can add an hour to a commute.  If you live in Santa Monica you would drive an hour past Loyola to get to LaMirada.

Do you have other options as well? 

Never sacrifice academics for athletics unless you’ve been labeled by experts as a top pro prospect. Pro scouts will come to a high school game to scout a stud for the draft. But most college baseball recruiting occurs through summer ball and being on the best possible travel team.

Academics sets you up for a forty year plan (career) and the ability to earn a good living. A quality high school is more likely to get you into a quality college. Unless you’re a pro baseball prospect stud college baseball is only a four year journey. When the time comes to make that choice select the best possible combination of education and college baseball experience regardless of division level.

On a more harsh reality note, who said you’re a ‘25 college prospect? Have you been told by a baseball expert/pro scout or is it your desire?

Work hard. There are a lot of former 14u stars laying by the side of the “I’m going to play college ball” road. Think bigger, faster, stronger and best possible grades. You can also learn a lot from this site. Don’t be afraid to ask any question. There aren’t any stupid questions. There are only stupid results from failure to ask the questions.

Good luck.

Last edited by RJM
@RJM posted:

Never sacrifice academics for athletics unless you’ve been labeled by experts as a top pro prospect. Pro scouts will come to a high school game to scout a stud for the draft. But most college baseball recruiting occurs through summer ball and being on the best possible travel team.

Academics sets you up for a forty year plan (career) and the ability to earn a good living. A quality high school is more likely to get you into a quality college. Unless you’re a pro baseball prospect stud college baseball is only a four year journey. When the time comes to make that choice select the best possible combination of education and college baseball experience regardless of division level.

One a more harsh reality note, who said you’re a ‘25 college prospect? Have you been told by a baseball expert/pro scout or is it your desire?

Work hard. There are a lot of former 14u stars laying by the side of the “I’m going to play college ball” road. Think bigger, faster, stronger and best possible grades. You can also learn a lot from this site. Don’t be afraid to ask any question. There aren’t any stupid questions. There are only stupid results from failure to ask the questions.

Good luck.

Thanks. I just couldn’t come up with a better name.

Sometimes, it is difficult for a player and parents of a player who has sights on both athletic and academic goals to make the right choice in this scenario.  But in your case, you seem to be in a position where your family has the financial capacity to allow you to choose between some very good schools AND all of those schools have strong programs and are in a region where you are sure to get ample visibility if you are a player with the right talent and skill set.  So, as others have stated, focus on the academic/career aspect with this decision.

In addition be careful for what you are getting into. You could sit on the bench for 3 years on a SoCal powerhouse HS team, but be a key player on a "lesser" program and get lots of playing time. (and exposure) If you are a HS draft pick talent then by all means go for it, if not be careful. My son was the  3 hole batter, for three years and No 1 pitcher for two on a competitive HS program -  if he had gone to one of the powerhouse SoCal HS programs he would have played but he would not have been their number 1 pitcher and likely hit down in the order. 

@BOF posted:

In addition be careful for what you are getting into. You could sit on the bench for 3 years on a SoCal powerhouse HS team, but be a key player on a "lesser" program and get lots of playing time. (and exposure) If you are a HS draft pick talent then by all means go for it, if not be careful. My son was the  3 hole batter, for three years and No 1 pitcher for two on a competitive HS program -  if he had gone to one of the powerhouse SoCal HS programs he would have played but he would not have been their number 1 pitcher and likely hit down in the order.

What BOF said is so true.  For my son it was the jump from HS to college though.  Son did not play at a P5 or a powerhouse from D1, though he did play at a very good D1 university that a made it to the CWS final 8.  Could he have played every game and received the accolades at a P5 that he did at his college....possibly (he didn't receive any offers from P5 so moot point).  He wanted to get a chance to play every game, get a great education, and see where that may lead.  He received much exposure because he was at the right place, at the right time, with the right program that fitted him.  If you have the tools you will be noticed, but first you have to be given the opportunity to be out there, not "learning" from the bench as a freshman or sophomore.  Nobody can take away a great education, whereas baseball has so many variables.  I've seen majority of the high schools you have mentioned in the conference and they all have great baseball programs.  Best of luck.

BOF makes a strong point regarding playing time.  These schools routinely have 25-27 rostered players with 4 pitchers and 8 position players getting the majority of the playing time.  If your kid makes it on the field that's great, otherwise it's a complete waste of time.

Also, I think it's a mistake to believe that these high schools "produce" good ball players.  Talk to the players or their parents - they'll tell you how much time they spend on bunt defense and pickoffs (i.e., the things you need to do well to win HS baseball games), and how little time they spend on hitting and fielding reps (i.e., the things you need to do to become a better player).

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.