Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Apparently he just keeps getting better the longer he throws.  Besides, the kid's coach trusts him when he says he's fine.  It's not like he threw the entire 10 innings.  I'm guess the coach at Illinois State knows he's getting a kid with endurance.  About a month ago he threw a 92 pitch complete game - his first time throwing outdoors this season.  And the coach says the team had depth at pitching.  I'm guessing he means this kid's arm can go deep into the game.  Kind of interested to see how his next outing goes.

If you think that's a lot of work, how about this - James Andrews quote:

"In three weeks — the last two weeks of April and the first week of May — I did 36 Tommy John procedures (the surgical reconstruction of the ulnar collateral ligament in the elbow)," Andrews said on Wednesday. "Most of them were high school kids. That's unbelievable. That's a major operation.

Wouldn't want that coach anywhere near my son.

cant fix stupid. 

pitcher is smart enough to realize that 7 walks in a game were bad, but not aware enough to know that 167 pitches is too much. Hope he makes it to his college healthy. Wonder how many innings/pitches he will have his Sr season. 

Im betting money he ll have arm issues in the next 2 yrs. 

all we can do is shake our head and wish the kid the best.

GAPTWOGAP posted:

Further follow-up on the Genoa-Kingston pitcher - here's the AD's side, w/o any opinion from me

This only gets better (or worse depending upon your viewpoint).   

"...but if a pitcher were used improperly and injured as a result of coaching decisions there would be ramifications for the coaches involved."  

So basically the coach was lucky that the pitcher did not suffer a catastrophic injury in that game.  However, I believe, that high pitch counts are cumulative and the injury may not surface until a week(s) or month(s) later. 

So how does this incompetent AD address the issue if Mr. Huffman needs TJ 6 months down the road?  Because I can't believe this is the first time this coach has thrown his ace pitcher more than 100+ PC.  

My son took himself out in 1 game about a month ago after pitching 92 pitches in 6 innings.  His a-hole coach asked him if his arm was truly sore or was someone in the stands counting pitches (meaning me).   This a-hole coach pitched him 142 pitches a week before that so I'm just implementing the new PC rule for Texas that will go in affect in 2018.  

2forU posted:

"In three weeks — the last two weeks of April and the first week of May — I did 36 Tommy John procedures (the surgical reconstruction of the ulnar collateral ligament in the elbow)," Andrews said on Wednesday. "Most of them were high school kids. That's unbelievable. That's a major operation.

36 in in three weeks? Someone should really step in and deal with this type of abuse - Dr. Andrews could be at risk of serious if not career threatening overuse injury if he doesn't slow down...

2017LHPscrewball posted:

Apparently he just keeps getting better the longer he throws.  Besides, the kid's coach trusts him when he says he's fine.  It's not like he threw the entire 10 innings.  I'm guess the coach at Illinois State knows he's getting a kid with endurance.  About a month ago he threw a 92 pitch complete game - his first time throwing outdoors this season.  And the coach says the team had depth at pitching.  I'm guessing he means this kid's arm can go deep into the game.  Kind of interested to see how his next outing goes.

Or the IL State coach is getting a pitcher on the verge of arm problems. How many kids have you seen with arm problems where at sometime before the problems dad said, "Don't worry. He's a big, strong kid."

Last edited by RJM
FNL posted:
2forU posted:

36 in in three weeks? Someone should really step in and deal with this type of abuse - Dr. Andrews could be at risk of serious if not career threatening overuse injury if he doesn't slow down...

Good sense of humor noted.

This to me is the problem , it's not college or milb guys having TJS but those in HS and that means that you are behind the 8 ball before you even begin recruiting. 

What will it take for coaches to understand this is not good.

Good for The negative attention. If someone like law keeps it up, it may make a difference.

Last edited by TPM

Must be a Il. thing.Was at conference game last tuesday.Pitching change @ 4 1/3.It was at least a full inning too late coming.The starter had caught evey inning of last 6 games in 8 days.Taking one of the days off to pitch a complete game.The reliever at one point frosh. yr. looked to be a promising future varsity pitcher.That is until a 130+ outing frosh. yr. the kids never been the same.The starting pitcher was told to gear up at innings conclusion. Kid tells coach he can play 1st but not catch because he can barely lift arm.Coach tells kid if he can't catch he doesn't need him and just stay on bench.Mind you the way things are laid out the stands, dugout. on deck are very tight/close.Easy conversing with on deck player if wanted to.This start a conversation with a few of the parents about pitch counts.The parent of who HC will try making his #1 next yr. is in conversation.I ask do you keep a PC when your kid is pitching?He says no in front of all.I sate with everything you see going on you don't keep track of your son when pitching? He goes on to tell me in a way like I had insulted him that he doesn't keep track because he has better things to do.Personally I put well over half of this on the parents/kids.I have been fighting this same battle for all 4 yrs.of 2016 playing V.To the point that its one big knot in the stomach on any pitching time 2016 has.

proudhesmine posted:

Must be a Il. thing.  Was at conference game last Tuesday. Pitching change @ 4 1/3.  It was at least a full inning too late coming.  The starter had caught every inning of last 6 games in 8 days. Taking one of the days off to pitch a complete game.  The reliever at one point frosh. yr. looked to be a promising future varsity pitcher.  That is until a 130+ outing frosh. yr. the kids never been the same. The starting pitcher was told to gear up at innings conclusion.  Kid tells coach he can play 1st but not catch because he can barely lift arm.  Coach tells kid if he can't catch he doesn't need him and just stay on bench.  Mind you the way things are laid out the stands, dugout. on deck are very tight/close.  Easy conversing with on deck player if wanted to. This start a conversation with a few of the parents about pitch counts.  The parent of who HC will try making his #1 next yr. is in conversation.  I ask do you keep a PC when your kid is pitching?  He says no in front of all.  I said with everything you see going on you don't keep track of your son when pitching?  He goes on to tell me in a way like I had insulted him that he doesn't keep track because he has better things to do.  Personally I put well over half of this on the parents/kids.  I have been fighting this same battle for all 4 yrs.of 2016 playing V.  To the point that its one big knot in the stomach on any pitching time 2016 has.

There is so much wrong with what you witnessed.  It might be a good idea to send a letter to the state UIL office describing these issues and mentioning the head coach by name.  

In all fairness to parents and players there are teams that are very competitive for starting positions and those parents/kids don't want to hamper the kids chance at the starting rotation.  This is all on the coaches.  At least with travel ball teams are already formed and much harder to find replacements.   I'm sure college coaches have even more leverage.   

The coach is well known for this in our area.I was at a tourney 2016 soph. summer close to 100 miles away from home.I was wearing HS bB teams hat.Was having a smoke not far from gate guy and we started talking as i was only one there.Before conversation ended he asked me straight up if what he had heard about things on the school team were true.I about fell over.Its not like I was in the next county over.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.