Skip to main content

What percent of players attending these HS Showcases go on to play college baseball

Team One
Perfect Game
Area Code Games
East Coast Pro Showcase
College Select
Blue Grey Classic
Midwest Prospects
Blue Chips
Pro Day Showcase
Best In Virginia Showcase
Mid-American Five Star Showcase
SelectFest Baseball Showcase
All American Showcase
Basebal Factory
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Dibble:
well college list their graduation rate, why should not hs showcases

I'm thinking because showcases are not about 2 or 4 years of learning and because its up to the player to showcase his skills, academics, desire, etc. that determine if or where he plays.

Thats why its called a showcase and not something else.

Probably a better question to ask would be who shows up at these showcases and what benefits other than the showcase do they offer.

Besides, theres no governing body if they gave "graduation" rates who'd believe them, you? Big Grin
I really liked your question. It made me think. All I would add is that it is simply they way it has developed in baseball, that is players want to play in college are viewed in this format. In basketball, for example, you have to play AAU in the summer to get viewed/evaluated (showcases are not the norm generally). In golf, you have to play in junior tournaments to show a set score. But your question is on the mark in that are the players who go certain in their ability to play at the next level, or does it consist of many marginal players with no real chance. Unless it is an invitation showcase, then I suppose it could be the latter.
The first showcase my son attended was a non invitational local showcase. Sure some invites were sent out but if they dont know who you are that's not going to happen. On the web site they listed the colleges that have attended in the past. I would say that the majority of the players were marginal. My son did hear from many colleges after the event.

The second showcase we attended was a newer organization from the west coast-they held a few east coast showcases last year and again there were not a lot of coaches in attendance. Out of 120 kids there may have been 10 D1 players there. 3 kids from that showcase were asked to go to Marrietta Ga. to the PG/WWBA Tournament-my son was 1 of them-needless to say the exposure there was awesome.

My point is that if you can play but they dont know who you are- or if more expensive showcases and travel are a concern- even a smaller showcase can be benefical.

IMO PG is the biggest bang for your buck- we kind of took the long road there- but eventually we found our way there and it paid off.
OK, the one with the highest percentage is probably Area Code Games and East Coast Pro, maybe PG-National or T1-National a close second/third. If you have the skill and want to go play at Miami, Stanford, Texas, etc..., then you probably should try to get to one of those. But they are tough to be invited too. Better be a high quality player with a real chance to compete at that level.

But if you want to play for one of your local colleges, then there is no need IMO. You would just want to go to their camps or a regional showcase (could be a PG or T1 regional showcase) where you know their coaches will be there. The "graduation" rate for that regional showcase may be much less than Area Code games, but does it really matter?
Justbaseball;

For 19 years of the Area Code Games [1987-2004], we were pro oriented, because I allowed the scouts to select the players for the tryouts and the games.

However, occasionally I receive a name from our International Trips to China, Australia, Japan or Korea of a player who exhibited tools and skills with a strong makeup.

We missed many players who are now in the Major Leagues or with strong college programs. Our college rate was close to 100%, because if the player can play professional baseball in the eyes of the pro scout, he can play college baseball.

It is my belief that there is a college program for every player who is realistic and prepares himself by "working harder".

Perfect Game has filled the void with their many ID showcases and the National Tournaments. This was not my objective.

My objective was and is to train our American players to compete in International competition against the best players in the World.

From Matt Williams, Torii Hunter, Nomar, Jim Edmonds, Albert Pujois to Delmon Young and Scott Kazmir, I think, we have been successful.

Enjoy the game, study the "inside game of baseball" and have fun.

Bob Williams
Founder of the Area Code Games
Bob,

You've done a great job and our family is particularly grateful for the experience. It was one of the biggest highlights on our summer of baseball.

I was just trying to point out that its not for everyone. You've done a good job of laying out the objectives and that should be clear to everyone.

Thanks again for the great experience. We'll never forget it!

Tom
I can speak only of my son's experience....he attended one thing.....in the summer of 2002......the Midwest Area Code Tryouts in Naperville, IL......run by the White Sox.......the day after that, he received phone calls from colleges in the Big East, Big 12, Big Ten, ACC, Missouri Valley, Big South.....he ended up at a MVC school.......
Dibble,

It's a very high percentage, but don't know the exact totals. Last year's college world series in Omaha had 155 players on the 8 teams, who had attended PG events.

For what it's worth, I do know there is at least one NBA player and a couple of NFL players who attended PG events when they were in high school.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.