Skip to main content

I posted about this a while back but now that I know my HS, I have some information on the strength and conditioning class. It is considered a “class” meaning that it’s not just the baseball team lifting at once, you can be lifting with football, soccer, etc players. In the description, it says it included “olympic lifting” which I have read into and from what I’ve grasped, it’s better to stay away from especially for baseball.  I haven’t physically matured yet and don’t want to hurt myself with olympic lifting. I’m finally over an elbow injury that resulted in a surgery so my main priority is keeping healthy. If I drop the class, my second option would be to work with a VERY well known baseball specific strength and conditioning coach (trains lots of pro guys and top HS players). He went through something similar that I went through and his main goal is to keep the athletes healthy. He has tons of credentials and experience. Only downside is it would be $300+ a month (we are already going to be paying for a private school) and is a bit of a drive. I believe some other HS players in our area will skip their HS program to train with him. Even if I keep the class, I plan to train with him this summer. Thoughts on what I should do?

Thank You,

Last edited by 2025prospect
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Giving my son as example for this. Your mileage may vary, but may give you ideas  

He had taken weight training as one of his 7 classes all 3 years (ignoring COVID). Football team has weight training before school if I recall correctly. So all the weight training classes IN school are comprised of the rest of the athletes.  The V baseball coach operates at least two of the classes All the baseball players try to get in one of the two classes he teaches.

He’s also worked with an incredible trainer during the summer and, at times, after school during the fall (also during the C19 digital learning period). The work he does with him is what guides all of his strength training.

He has, through discussions with his teacher/coach and proven responsibility, been able to follow a path at school weight class that works for him. Several other students have as well.

I think you should first find out from the upperclass  baseball players in your school what they have done, what their experience is, and what they recommend. Their experience may be like my son’s, or it may be a lot more strict in terms of “my way or the highway”. Or they may even have specific programming for baseball players.

But if you are able to follow your own path, you definitely need a proven one that can work for you. That’s where the summer work with this outside coach will help.

If you are still on PT rehab, make sure the rehab and training is well coordinated it would be great if the trainer can communicate with the PT.  Also, how much school do you have left? Surprise you start a class this late. The biggest challenge for us was the coordination of transporting kid to the trainer. If you are still playing HS ball or started travel, the challenge to get the lifts in on the trainer's sched and still have time to do school work. 

@2022NYC posted:

If you are still on PT rehab, make sure the rehab and training is well coordinated it would be great if the trainer can communicate with the PT.  Also, how much school do you have left? Surprise you start a class this late. The biggest challenge for us was the coordination of transporting kid to the trainer. If you are still playing HS ball or started travel, the challenge to get the lifts in on the trainer's sched and still have time to do school work.

I am no longer on PT rehab. Today is my last day of 8th grade.

I am no longer on PT rehab. Today is my last day of 8th grade.

just wanted to say congrats and keep grinding.  "8th grade graduation" may seem like a small step, but it's a step, nonetheless.  you'll get a lot of advice saying that "the real journey starts now" and such, but don't forget to look back and be proud of what you've achieved so far.  also don't forget to carve out some time to enjoy your summer.

as to training, make sure you're doing age specific work and/or you have a trainer who is familiar with kids your physical age.  I'm not one of those people who harp on lifting stunting your growth or other old school advice but i do think (based on anecdotal evidence from myself and friends growing up as well as my son and his friends who are a couple of years ahead of you) that until you have hit and are past (mostly)puberty, heavy lifting is an exercise in futility.  don't get caught up in keeping up with the next guy.  He may have had hair on his chest in 7th grade and that's the main reason why he's able to deadlift 4 plates as a freshman. the main thing, imo, is for you to prep yourself, mind and body, to take advantage of that testosterone dump your body is going to have soon.  that means get as reasonably strong as you can now without wasting time or over stressing yourself and it mean getting yourself used to working out as a part of your normal routine. 

again, congrats on your achievements so far and we're looking forward to following your journey to come.

If you haven't bloomed, weight lifting is just an activity.  You don't have enough testosterone to get really big and strong, yet.  Save the money for next year.  Train with the school. Your goal should be to learn the lifts and start building a baseline of strength and work capacity.

If you are getting hair all over your body and are really growing, consider the baseball trainer.  You may benefit from some more specific training.  You may also benefit from someone pushing you personally with your own program.

I would probably still train at the school before moving to the personal trainer.  Again, learn the lifts first and get stronger first so that you can really benefit from the personal trainer.

Either way, weight lifting is one of the safest sports around.  Olympic lifts are safe and teach you explosive power. You aren't strong enough to hurt yourself unless you do it extremely wrong. 

There’s lifting, and there is training for Baseball.

I know lots of kids who have been trained by a former Big Ten strength coach who specialized in football.  The kids vertical leap got explosive, they were deadlifting and squatting 300-400+ pounds, but their 60 time didn’t improve and their exit velo stayed in the low 80’s

A true Baseball trainer will have you learn how to get connected, and utilize your core and hips to develop explosive Baseball power

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.