Skip to main content

https://12thman.com/news/2021/...-baseball-coach.aspx

Just stumbled onto the above. Relatively old news but I thought the pics of the private jet were interesting.  

EZ to see how the SEC D1 environment might prove an irresistible lure to a parent ambitious for their son, let alone the son himself.

Pretty amazing to this D3 dad.

"Don't be mean now because remember: Wherever you go, there you are..." Buckaroo Banzai

Last edited by smokeminside
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yes, it means more. Schlossnagel’s annual salary is $1.25M. I don’t know what the Bowdoin College (NESCAC) baseball coach makes. He’s been the coach for twenty years. His salary is paid by an endowment from an alumnus and contributions. The average Bowdoin coach salary is 92K. The baseball team’s annual budget is 200K.

@JCG posted:

Nice.  I thought it was cool when my son's D3 program got a bus for his sophomore season.  Freshman year they used a bunch of vans.

JCG - With internet connectivity?  You know you've hit the "non-P5 big time" when you've got wireless on the bus. 

Like RJM's example, my oldest son's college program was and still is self funded.  The coaches salary is endowed.  Their field was on a great part of campus....right in the middle....valuable property that the school deemed too valuable.  So, they are putting up a for sale sign for the next mega donor to move in next to the Bill and Melinda Gates Hall.   Honestly, I think the professors at Gates Hall got tired of foul balls hitting the building.

Smoke - As always, its all about the bucks, scratch, greenbacks, cheddar, dough, loot, moolah, benjamins, samolians, dinero at any college baseball level.

@fenwaysouth posted:

JCG - With internet connectivity?  You know you've hit the "non-P5 big time" when you've got wireless on the bus. 

It wouldn't matter. The kid does not believe in Wi-Fi. You should see my ATT bill.  The pie chart of the data usage is:  two teeny tiny slivers for Mom and Dad, a quarter slice of pie for big brother, and nearly 3/4 of the pie for the little guy.  (needless to say I had to go with unlimited data years ago)

My D3 sons had to help fund their one spring trip a year. I can't fathom how a Power 5 player can afford to play at one of those schools, considering all the traveling they do.  There must be a lot of rich kids playing on those teams.

Unfortunately the team doesn’t pay for parents. I had two playing back to back eight of nine years. Over that time I wiped out my frequent flyer account. I stopped the heavy travel on the company (sold it) and accumulating points when the youngest was a high school senior and the oldest a senior in college.

My son is a part of it but I'm still in awe of the perks that a P5 player gets, especially when it comes to being a winning team.  It was astounding the journey last year and the life those guys live some times.  I compared it to my middle son who was at a mid major and it is totally different.  Can't imagine what it is like to be at a small school in relationship.

While the accommodations are much nicer now, it wasn’t unheard of for D1 teams to fly private even back in the day. We took to private planes to Fayetteville to play Arkansas in 1978 with the SWC Championship on the line. We won 2 of 3 and before we boarded the planes to go back our HC (r.i.p., TC) gave us 20 minutes to make a beer run so we could celebrate on the flight back. It wasn’t a well thought out plan as there were no bathrooms on the private planes. As the beer was downed and nature called we found ourselves in an uncomfortable dilemma. Out of desperation we began to fill the empty bottles with recycled beer. And that went okay until we hit some air pockets. I don’t need to tell you what we smelled like by the time we landed at Easterwood Airport - but we didn’t care!

The important point wasn’t to clarify what a D3 like Bowdoin College spends on baseball. The important point was to point out the difference between a major conference D1 originally referred in the thread versus a D3. You should have posted Bowdoin expenses versus Texas A&M if you wanted to stay on point in the thread.

Last edited by RJM
@RJM posted:

The important point wasn’t to clarify what a D3 like Bowdoin College spends on baseball. The important point was to point out the difference between a major conference D1 originally referred in the thread versus a D3. You should have posted Bowdoin expenses versus Texas A&M if you wanted to stay on point in the thread.

A P5 school will always be an outlier to any other conference in the country no matter what the division the school might compete. 

You know the deal, follow the pigskin.

@RJM posted:

But if put in context,  both schools are spending about the same percent of their overall budget.

Texas A&M_2020_sport-expenseBowdoin_2020_sport-expense

Attachments

Images (2)
  • Texas A&M_2020_sport-expense
  • Bowdoin_2020_sport-expense
@old_school posted:

ah when a stats / analytics person attempts to communicate with an executive level person you get conversations like the above. Good times for all.

Actually it is as simple as if you try to figure out why compensation (salary, bonuses, stock options, etc) varies from a factor of 1:1 to 1:30, you will go down rabbit hole.

Free market, you will get paid based on what the market demands in your region for your specific skillset and who is willing pay a perceived value.

E.G.   On Average A Police Officer in NYC makes more than PO from Florida.

Actually it is as simple as if you try to figure out why compensation (salary, bonuses, stock options, etc) varies from a factor of 1:1 to 1:30, you will go down rabbit hole.

Free market, you will get paid based on what the market demands in your region for your specific skillset and who is willing pay a perceived value.

E.G.   On Average A Police Officer in NYC makes more than PO from Florida.

and...LOL yep i appreciate you making the point! it isnt a right / wrong and i didn't take a side.

@old_school posted:

ah when a stats / analytics person attempts to communicate with an executive level person you get conversations like the above. Good times for all.

My undergrad degree was in Econ with a concentration in Quantitative Analytics. I chose it as a major because math was easy for me. As an executive I found there’s a time for analytics and a time when they divert far off on a tangent from the original conversation.

Statistics can also be used to make any argument you want. In this case arguing percentage wise D3 and D1 ball budget the same gives the appearance they’re the same thing. They’re definitely not. When the percentages scale to size it demonstrates D3 and D1 are two completely different environments.

In my original post what I was pointing out is the Texas A&M coach is paid more than six times Bowdoin’s entire budget. It demonstrates the difference in programs.

Also Schlossnagel has a job as long as he wins big. The Bowdoin coach has a job as long as he doesn’t embarrass the college. It wasn’t even a paid position until 2010. At one point the Bowdoin football coach and the baseball coach were the same guy plus he had a full time job.

@RJM posted:

My undergrad degree was in Econ with a concentration in Quantitative Analytics. I chose it as a major because math was easy for me. As an executive I found there’s a time for analytics and a time when they divert far off on a tangent from the original conversation.

Statistics can also be used to make any argument you want. In this case arguing percentage wise D3 and D1 ball budget the same gives the appearance they’re the same thing. They’re definitely not. When the percentages scale to size it demonstrates D3 and D1 are two completely different environments.

In my original post what I was pointing out is the Texas A&M coach is paid more than six times Bowdoin’s entire budget. It demonstrates the difference in programs.

Also Schlossnagel has a job as long as he wins big. The Bowdoin coach has a job as long as he doesn’t embarrass the college. It wasn’t even a paid position until 2010. At one point the Bowdoin football coach and the baseball coach were the same guy plus he had a full time job.

Note,  I agree. the initial chart was just to back up your point about the average salary of Bowdin.

Note, the pie chart just shows the disparity of budgets and why there will be differences.

Note, although I come on this website with visual insights.

A picture is worth 1000 words, I will agree that I initially used the wrong chart as for that was not your original comment.

My background is broader that the visuals that I provide, but for this forum there is no reason nor benefit to talk about previous roles.

And I agree, anybody can turn a statistic to their favor.

Good stuff.

We are on the same page.

it does mean more.  Son's team is going on the road for both of their scrimmages this fall.  One was in Chattanooga at Lookouts Stadium (was supposed to have been in Atlanta until Braves decided to start winning) and other one is in Memphis at USA fields.  That would be a big deal for many but for us it is really a step down to play at either place.  It is about getting team out and being seen along with taking a couple of road trips to simulate next spring for some.  They will travel on luxury buses and stay in luxury hotels and probably eat very nice.  Not bragging just stating facts.  It is hard for even some P5 teams to do this on a regular basis.  But this has become norm for most SEC schools.  Their salaries are also becoming almost unreal numbers for baseball when over half of them make $1 million and several over $1.5 million.  It does mean more to compete in SEC.  For Super Regional last year we had over 2,000 people watching them game from the street beside the stadium because they could not get in.  They put it on big screen but it had a little delay.  It was like the people inside the stadium would wait anxiously for the people outside the stadium to respond.

When my son was in LL he played a sectional in front of an estimated 1,000 fans. I told him to enjoy the insanity. It might be the biggest crowd he ever plays in front of.

My son never forgot the statement. His last year of college ball he pointed out every college game home or away was in front of more than 1,000. Probably the smallest crowd was at Stanford in February on a 55 degree Friday night.

@RJM posted:

When my son was in LL he played a sectional in front of an estimated 1,000 fans. I told him to enjoy the insanity. It might be the biggest crowd he ever plays in front of.

My son never forgot the statement. His last year of college ball he pointed out every college game home or away was in front of more than 1,000. Probably the smallest crowd was at Stanford in February on a 55 degree Friday night.

Your kids are awesome.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.