Skip to main content

Yesterday I witnessed something I'd like to Address. An opposing pitcher 14u threw 102 pitches..... in 4 innings. I was beside myself. What the hell is wrong with this Coach, if you want to call him that.Is winning a game that important to some people that they would have someone throw that much in such a short period of time.They were winning then he gave up the lead just in time for the Coach to yank him so he could take the loss.... What a freakin idiot.

This kid has serious potential and his Coach is wearing him out in my opinion. What are your thoughts on this. Thx
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I see that **** a lot. I'm convinced it's an ego thing for the coach (and probably many parents as well). The coach (and parents) becomes more self-important if he can win games, no matter how he does it. Never mind helping players develop their skills for HS and beyond. Never mind even seeing to it a kid has an arm left for HS and beyond. Earlier this year I saw a 12 year old throw over 100 pitches, about half of them sliders. Yes, they won the game, but geez, is the coach so bad that he can't develop more than 1 pitcher.
102 pitches in four innings thats nothing. When my son was 14 we played in an AAU tourney and on Friday night we played a team that threw a very good looking lhp for 7 innings 130plus pitches. We won 4-2. In the championship game on Sunday we faced the same team which advanced out of the loosers bracket. Guess who toed the hill? Yep the same kid. He lasted about three innings throwing around 50 pitches before he just could not last any longer. Want to know the best part? The head coach was the kids Dad! When we started the game on Sunday I said isnt that the kid (already knowing) that threw against us on Friday? The Coach? says Yeah thats my kid he has a rubber arm always has. I shook my head.
quote:
Originally posted by Jonny12baseball:
I am a senior in High School playing college next year and 100 is about my limit.

Jonny, Where are you going to play ball at next year? Good luck to ya..

100 pitches is way to much for a 14 year old. The kid i'm referring to is a LEGIT prospect in my opinion. Not as a pitcher but in the OF. Kid has a great stick, great speed, savvy, just would hate to see him get injured. He's not my boy, but I am concerned about his overuse.
my bad . . . thanks Beezer!

That sounds more reasonable, although the days of rest issue should be addressed. Someone posted a formula around this site recently that made good sense regarding hours of rest based on pitches thrown. Hate to see a 16 y/o kid throw 100 pitches today and go out and throw the other 60 tomorrow.
my son is on 14-15 yr old team.he is one of the 3 14 y.o on the team and is starting shortstop.1st scrimmage of year coach comes out and calls my son to mound to pitch which he has not done in over 3 years and never in practice or from 60 feet.reason for this is he has had some minor shoulder problems the past couple of years so we decided for the health of his arm for him not to pitch. my son tells coach this before game and again on mound.coach tells him he will play wherever he wants him to and to get drs. note .would like to hear thoughts on this??
quote:
Yesterday I witnessed something I'd like to Address. An opposing pitcher 14u threw 102 pitches..... in 4 innings. I was beside myself. What the hell is wrong with this Coach, if you want to call him that.Is winning a game that important to some people that they would have someone throw that much in such a short period of time.They were winning then he gave up the lead just in time for the Coach to yank him so he could take the loss.... What a freakin idiot.

This kid has serious potential and his Coach is wearing him out in my opinion. What are your thoughts on this. Thx

It makes me sick to my stomach when coaches let their ego get in the way of a kids development. At this age, it's about the kids learning the game and progressing and not about winning a trophy on Sunday. And we wonder why so many young pitchers these days are having serious arm problems while still in high school. It's a crying shame and if any of you coaches that would do something like what we're discussing, you need to take a serious step back and see why you are coaching. Is it for you or for the kids?
quote:
Originally posted by lancek:
my son is on 14-15 yr old team.he is one of the 3 14 y.o on the team and is starting shortstop.1st scrimmage of year coach comes out and calls my son to mound to pitch which he has not done in over 3 years and never in practice or from 60 feet.reason for this is he has had some minor shoulder problems the past couple of years so we decided for the health of his arm for him not to pitch. my son tells coach this before game and again on mound.coach tells him he will play wherever he wants him to and to get drs. note .would like to hear thoughts on this??

I'll tell you this if a kid is on the mound and he tells me he cant go I dont want him there. Not only for his health but for his own personal pride. If he's not "feeling it" he's going to get shelled.You need to talk to this Coach and tell him how you feel.
my 11 yr old nephew played wall ball on my garage door early Sat morning ... waay to early

he FOLLOWED that by pitching TWO COMPLETE 9 inning games to imaginary batters & strike zone target he chalked ...

he did win them both, but then said he was too wore out to help mow the lawn nervous ...
so he took off on his bike until the lawn was finished Roll Eyes

I'm certain this caused some damage ... BUT ...
I believe that the ear plugs I bought will prevent any future damage

Wink
Last edited by Chairman
quote:
Originally posted by Chairman:
my 11 yr old nephew played wall ball on my garage door early Sat morning ... waay to early

he FOLLOWED that by pitching TWO COMPLETE 9 inning games to imaginary batters & strike zone target he chalked ...

he did win them both, but then said he was too

wore out to help mow the lawn nervous ...

awesome post!!!!
so he took off on his bike until the lawn was finished Roll Eyes

I'm certain this caused some damage ... BUT ...
I believe that the ear plugs I bought will prevent any future damage

Wink

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.