Skip to main content

Couldn't get anymore normal than this...

SECTIONAL SEMIFINAL At Bloomington (Illinois Wesleyan U.)

Normal (Community West)...6
Normal (Community)...........3

FINAL

And how about that St. Laurence vs. Lyons Township game?

We have htmom to thank for the link.

Nice wrap-up, but speaking of errors...

They said it

St. Laurence coach Pete Lotus:
"He is are most consistent player."

Lyons Twp. coach George Ushela:
"This is very tough. Here at LT are expectations are very high."

Those are my red highlights. I know the coaches' grammar is proper, but the Chicago Tribune has to rely on more than just SpelChek(tm)!
Last edited by gotwood4sale
hsfan2010.....

Bite me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I listened to to so much **** in my area about how great this team was, and especially how great the coach has been, that I predicted at the beginning of the season that this team didn't have what last years team had!!! This has nothing to do with my son. It has to do with the TEAM!!!!! There was so much decension on this team, mostly parents that poisoned the kids minds, not my decension, that at the R-B game when LT was up big, a mother behind the right field fence was making disparaging remarks toward one of the LT players. This was because her son was cut from the tournament team!!!!

I lived that program for four years, along with my son, the other players and the parents. I have had arguments with other parents who have backed the coach in the past, only coming to the realization that if it were not for extra training, private lessons and travel baseball, those successful teams would not have gone as far as they had if it were not for the 'extras' that the parents and travel baseball provided. THE COACHING STAFF PROVIDED NOTHING AS FAR AS INSTRUCTION WAS CONCERNED!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, if you want to talk about my son, "step up to the plate, cuz I'm pitching!" He worked his butt off to make his successes happen. He didn't and I didn't have to be an umpire, or travel coach, or booster parent, or board member parent, etc. for him to make or play on the team. I certainly didn't have to kiss butt to get him into a great university, and play ball there either. He earned it!!!!!!!!! So, when you look at the coaches IHSA record of accompishments, and they are impressive, keep in mind that his PLAYERS were on the field, not him. Don't annoint him yet, because within five years he will be gone from LT! You heard it here first. Oh, and by the way, if your interested, PM me so that next season when he has his parent meetings, you and I can attend together. The man can't even put two words together in a sentence. O.K., O.K., O.K., O.K., O.K., O.K. Come to the meetings and maybe you will understand. By the way, how is your son doing???
Last edited by BoomerIL
Congratulations to Leyden and Coach Wolf. I believe it is the farthest they've ever gone. Great job!

On to another issue, I hope this site doesn't become a place where people bash coaches. Regardless of feelings about "instruction, sentence forming or whatever" this is probably not the place for an all out rant on a coaching staff.

If you don't agree with what a coach does that's fine. However a public Internet Message Board Site is not the place to bash a coach. A few weeks ago this site came down hard on a poster for negatively commenting about a player and the posts were taken off the message board. Hopefully we can show the same decency to a coach who doesn't need to be publicly destroyed over the Internet, regardless of the posters personal knowledge of the program.
Last edited by CoachIU26
CoachIU...

Don't know if I agree. Bashing a kid is a whole different story than ripping a coach. HS Coaches are paid professionals and though there are many who care and work hard for their teams, there are at least as many who don't.......just there for the paycheck. And although some coaches put so much time and energy into it that money is not the reason (and some would do it free I'm sure) again there are many who just want the cash.

I think Boomer is just saying what a lot of people think.
I agree with FastballDad. There is a difference between commenting publicly on this site about the abilities of a player and the abilities of a coach.

Good coaches receive plenty of support and poor coaches don't. Criticism that is unjust or undeserved will be challenged and deemed not credible. I understand your concern CoachIU26, but let's see how this one plays out.

I think Boomer and others who agree with him have a right to speak their mind. Conversely those who think differently about the situation are free to express their opinions as well.

I'm sure we'll hear from both sides of the issue.
Just letting you know you may be opening Pandora's Box. Who will judge legitimate criticism vs. slander? Additionally the kids do read this site. I'm concerned baseball programs and coaches can be undermined by unhappy posters. While educated baseball people may be able to decipher between legitimate criticism and silly ranting, quite a few people who may be unfamiliar to the program in question probably can't. It seems to me to set a bad precedent. This is just my opinion however.
Last edited by CoachIU26
Those are all valid concerns CoachIU26. I happen to believe that the unhappy people who post and express their displeasure will be challenged by those who feel differently.

In some regards this airing out the laundry, although it may appear to be unseemly, could actually help strengthen a coach and his program. If the criticism is valid then the concerns should be addressed and changes made.

A changed and improved coach and program is good for everyone. If, on the other hand, no changes are made and the conditions continue then the coach and the program is weakened.

And keep in mind that this airing out the laundry may prove to be completely without merit. The coach and the program would then continue on without having to make changes...buoyed by the support from those who shot down the criticism.

All of this, of course, is dependent on people responding from both sides of the issue. I do share your concern if only one point of view is given. It behooves everyone to speak up when there is an issue that concerns you.

Legitimate concerns should be discussed...thoroughly.
In the Oak Park Fenwick Sectional it was Guerrin over Fenwick.

Guerin - 4

Fenwick - 3

This morning at 11:00 a.m. it is Oak Park vs Guerin for the Sectional Championship. Jo Jo Moldonado (Class of 2009) was a transfer from Guerin and now plays shortstop for Oak Park. He is a very smooth and efficient player. It was a real treat to watch him play for Clubbers-Chicago along with Irazzary and Calixto last summer. Also watch Gabe Irazarry and Joelh Calixto of Guerin as they are real difference makers. There is a lot of talent on these two teams.

By my count there are 9 Clubbers-Chicago Alums (Class of 2009) on the roster in the Super Sectional Playoff Games today.

Angelo Burrage - St. Rita
Dai Bowden - Young
Joehl Calixto - Guerin
Jack Cinamon - Young
Gabe Henriques - Young
Gabe Irazary - Guerin
Jo Jo Moldonado - Oak Park
Jason Ormond - Young
Pedro Rosa - Young

This represents a big part of our 2006 Clubbers-Chicago roster. Hard work pays off and YOU all know how hard each of YOU has worked.

Congrats to all of YOU you on getting to your Super Sectional Championship Games. Stay tuned for Clubber Big Time Alumni Showcase events coming in July and August at UIC.
Last edited by mark ormond
Boomer -

I feel you could make the argument that if players didn't get private lessons and play travel ball, their high school teams wouldn't be any good. The bottom line is that during a high school season, there is simply not enough time and not enough coaches to refine every players mechanics in all aspects of the game, implement team concept, manage 18-25 eighteen year old egos (not to mention parent egos) provide a quality education for 100+ students a day, maintain a quality baseball facility and have a second or two to spend with your family. And all this has to be done between February 26th and June 9th.

The majority of success in high school baseball comes from off-season work that is conducted away from the high school.

Now this is not to say that there are not some bad coaches who do not spend the required time with their players to make them the best "team" they can be. But with the restrictions the IHSA puts on as far as off season work, private lessons, fall leagues and summer travel teams are a necessity of a quality high school program and none of those involve the actual high school coach.

FBD -

In response to your comment about some coaches just being in it for the money, there are many more efficient ways to earn a paycheck than coaching even if you don't put the time required to do it right. Coaches who do put in the time earn less than $1 per hour. I suggest the coaches who don't want to put in the time, go flip burgers for $5.15 an hour.
quote:
Originally posted by BCRockets:
In response to your comment about some coaches just being in it for the money, there are many more efficient ways to earn a paycheck than coaching even if you don't put the time required to do it right. Coaches who do put in the time earn less than $1 per hour. I suggest the coaches who don't want to put in the time, go flip burgers for $5.15 an hour.

BC,
That doesn't change the fact that they exist.

Also, just because a coach does something for the right reasons, doesn't make him a good coach or mentor. Motivations do not directly translate to competence or work ethic in any role in life, and coaching would be no exception.
Last edited by CPLZ
quote:
Originally posted by Doubleuneal12:
Haha Weaver, your brother is a stud, he bombed that ball...but it sounded like a softball. That's the New Trier team in the background, and we're glad that we don't have to face him tomorrow. Good Luck.

Yeah those comp bats sound terrible but the ball flies. Does you guys know that he pitched against you last year in the regional final? Just curious.
Anyways yeah hes had a very good year and could definatly improve. He's already a better pitcher than I was. Now we need to work on his hitting Smile. If someone could post the results thatd be great.
BCRockets...

Either your stipend is about $500.00 or you are putting in more than 30 hours a week coaching during the HS Season. 5 hours a day x 6 days a week x 17 weeks = 510 hours. I think the stipend at our school is a big multiple of that number. Most Coaches are required to be at School so you can argue all you want about taking calls, etc. during the school day.

I don't mean to diminish the efforts put in by hard working coaches who care and I know they aren't in it for the money but because they love the kids and the game. But don't make the mistake of thinking that is a given...it is far from it.

At a lot of schools, things come with The Head Coaching jobs. Camp income, summer ball income, maybe coaching another summer team in the community such as Legion Ball. Again, coaches who care and work hard and do a good job deserve all they get.

But when I see schools that year after year are unprepared, lose good kids, and are generally outcoached by coaches at other schools on a consistent basis I can tell you that that coach isn't there for love of the game or the kids.

Boomer is right, Coaches like that win only because of what shows up at their door every spring.
Weaver,

My hat is off to your brother, he pitched one heck of a game against GBN. Then to top it off by hitting the game winning home run made it even more awesome for him. We got guys on but couldn't do anything with it. It was a very well played and pitched game that came down to you guys getting one hit when you needed it and GBN not being able to get it when they needed it.

Good luck to him next year also.
Young dropped a bomb on Mount Carmel. No one thought that in a million years that Young could Win this one! But Win it they did and in convincing 2-0 fashion! This was the biggest upset in the playoffs so far and Young did it with class. Max Freidman was in control throughout. The young Dolphins showed they had lots of game as Freidman took it to the heart of the order and prevailed. The losing pitcher for the Caravan was Tony Manville.

Young scored 2 Runs on 4 Hits and 2 Mount Carmel Errors. This was a Big Time Win for Young and is a Huge step for all the Chicago Public Leaguers.

This game began with lots of Mount Carmel bravado which had a little bit of everything. First there was the hitting show with all the Carmel alums stepping on the field and showing their power. That was really quite impressive. Those guys could really hit! Then even before the game began I could not believe how many hushed conversations there were with the umpires. But the umpires were very respectful and polite to the defending champs and just continued on with doing their job. Besides this was the host team. I know a lot of the IHSA certified guys and they tell me all of the time that it is not easy being an umpire. You had to know there were going to be lots of catcalls that were going to be thrown out throughout such a high intensity game. You gotta respect what the men in blue do, and you cannot blame the umps when the situation is not going your way.

The continuation of hushed conversations by the Caravan coaching staff brought this game to a complete standstill at several points. More head games, but you gotta do what you can to stop the momentum when the pressure starts to mount and the cracks and fissures begin to appear. Then they all had on those 2005 Championship season tee shirts, I guess it was all about bringing on some good Carmelite karma. I have been to this field many times and it is always impressive when you step on to the field. You can just feel it and then you look up at all of those Illinois State Trophy Shields representing past years of success and glory. It had to be impressive to the young Dolphins just to be there. I want to give a Big Thanks to StageDad for giving me that great use of descriptive adjectives. It was a really great line in that Private Message you sent to me last week!

Anyway, baseball is a big mental game and I guess the Carmel coaches needed a lot of clarifications about various nuances and aspects of this game.....it had to be unbelievable to them when Young took the lead and did not stand down to the intimidation and then there was even some physicality! When you visit the champs on their turf you just gotta expect some punches to fly. I could not say from my vantage point, but some will say that the gloves were almost taken off at two points of this great game.

All the scoring for Young happened in the 4th Inning when Young got it going. The hero on offense today was Elliott Greenhill who hit a Big Time Double with two outs knocking in the first run for Young (Jim Clement scored after reaching on a Single). Then sophomore Gabe Henriques (pinch running for Greenhill) disrupted the Mount Carmel infield which likely caused an E-5 throw to put Young up by one more run in a memorable 4th Inning.

The top of the 6th Inning began with Julian Kenner getting hit by a pitch. The post game interview with Kenner reveals that he had a vision of getting a HBP. How did he know? There was a lot of debate whether it was deliberate or unintentional. It is hard to get into the head of a pitcher who demonstrated outstanding control up until that moment in the game. Who knows what happened; but somehow, Kenner had his premonition and whether it was a spiritual, mystical or magical moment for him, most will say that playing at Mount Carmel is always an experience. Fortunately, Julian kept his cool when the Caravan could no longer handle the pressure. An earlier scrum along the first base line, reminded everyone just how solid the Mount Carmel football program is.

Max Freidman was the MVP going the distance 7 IP; 0 Runs, 2 Hits; 2-K's; 2-BB and gave Young an outstanding performance. In the fourth inning, Joe Frahm had a nice backhand stop to rob a hit. That got the Caravan faithful talking and speculating that maybe these Dolphins were no joke.

By the bottom of the 6th inning the Caravan brought their game and after that inning was all over it was becoming more clear that maybe these young Dolphins really could play! The 6th inning ended with the Caravan stranding runners on first and third when All American speedster Eric Tabb (a junior) delivered a standout play in Right Field which ended a Mount Carmel scoring threat. It was then that the Mount Carmel faithful had to feel it, because Tabb had stopped 'em dead in their tracks. Rosa and Coleman also saw plenty of action in the outfield handling some deep hit balls. Make no mistake about it.....Speed Kills!

Hits for the Dolphins in the scorebook: Jim Clement-Single; Elliott Greenhill-Double-RBI; Max Freidman-Single; Eric Tabb-Single. Greenhill reached also on an E-6 and Freidman reached again on an E-5.

Congrats to the entire Dolphins team and to Coach Cassidy who is a Mount Carmel alum.

The Magical Mystery Tour continues....."You're with me, and I'm with you and we are all together.
Last edited by mark ormond
quote:
Originally posted by sulltiger24:
Who is going to be first to apologize to Mr. Ormond ? He has backed up his bravado and hype .
Not one person here , including me thought that Young could beat Mt.Carmel except Ormond.
First the sophmores ...now ..the Varsity

If the conversations were limited to baseball, there'd never be a problem.
quote:
Originally posted by mark ormond:
Young drops a bomb on Mount Carmel. Young Wins 2-0. Max Freidman takes it to the heart of the order and prevails. Young scored 2 Runs on 4 Hits and 2 Errors. Big Time Win for Young and Huge for CPL.

Elliott Greenhill hits Big Time Double with two out to knock in the first run for Young (Jim Clement scores after reaching on a Single) in the Fourth Inning. Sophomore Gabe Henriques pinch runs for Greenhill and disrupts the Mount Carmel infield which likely causes E-5 throw to put Young up by one more run in a Big 4th Inning.

Max Freidman 7 IP; 0 Runs, 2 Hits. Outstanding performance. Standout play from junior Eric Tabb in Right Field to rob a hit and stop Mount Carmel dead in its tracks in the 6th Inning. Speed Kills!

Congrats to Coach Cassidy who is a Mount Carmel alum.

Big Congrats to WY and GOOD LUCK the rest of the way.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.