Skip to main content

Chill
The Hamms, uh I mean the Garciapopups, I mean Nomar and Maria are a cute couple. Phat ride! I guess he was unloading his latest Ebay winners.

I hope he can come all the way back and use the attemped trade as motivation for a MVP year. Manny is Manny. He's lucky keep tracks of the outs. But he mashed in the playoffs.

With Schill backing up Pedro and Lowe, if Foulke can keep it going they will be very tough against the Stankys, home & away, who are slowly fading back to the Chili Davis era.

I wake each day and ask that they return to the Bobby Mercer years, but know that the Red Sox only judge their success by whether they finish ahead of the NYers. So if they go back to the late 60's, the Sox will naturally retreat too.

The rivalry lives and is good for the game. Its our turn at the buffet table.

Jeff Nelson and Karim Garcia go on trial soon. I hope they get life.

http://www.ragincajuns.com/Baseball/baseball.htm
Last edited {1}
Dad

I agree...
Very cute couple and I have always
cheered for Nomah (well...almost always)
Being a Schilling lover, I would argue
with your statement that he would ever "back-up" Lowe.
But I am willing to share the buffet table.
Todays Herald has a great article about Trot and the Globe has a great article called
He's Just Schillin'......
If the Sox continue to do good things, Who knows? Maybe I'm a year away from seeing the light?

BTW...The classy bullpen attendant is still in a neckbrace... duel
Help me out with that one....Brother!

Last edited {1}
Dad

I am sure you have heard about the book coming out in May:
Chasing Steinbrenner: Pursuing the Pennant in Boston and Toronto.

The most storied rivalry in baseball is the Yankees and the Red Sox, despite what often seems like an annual exercise in disappointment in New England. Despite having a comparatively brief and less operatic history of losing to the Bronx Bombers than do the Sox, the Blue Jays were once the team to beat in the American League East. Now Boston and Toronto are again gunning for the top, led by a pair of young general managers. Theo Epstein of the Red Sox and J. P. Ricciardi of the Blue Jays represent a new generation of general managers, weaned on two decades of baseball analysis that started with the groundbreaking work of Bill James and Pete Palmer.

You will have to allow me to buy 2 copies...One for you and one for me...To prove that the
"enemy" isn't so bad afterall 08

Chill
I was not aware of the book. I look forward to it, but I still can't tell who Your team is. The way you like it. I thought you were from NH and if so, I am guessing the local Yankee fan club is very exclusive.

I started going to Fenway at 11 and will never forget making our way through big city as a kid walking up the first base side runway on a crisp June day and seeing the perfect green grass framed by the Kelly green stadium, the varnished wood box seats, the shiny brass seat numbers, the perfect blue sky, Yaz throwing the ball oh, about 600 feet in warm-ups and my dad getting two foul balls in the 1st row behind first base.

One for me and the second for another boy...we met that day.

Paul,
The only way the Sox will lose 120 anytime soon is if Bud "Lite" mandates a swap for the Brewers and he drops the payroll to $30M in Beantown.

Best of luck to your son and his team this spring. May they exceed others lofty expectations. Enjoy! Smile

Last edited {1}
quote:
Originally posted by Dad04:
Voodoo

quote:
laissez le bon temps roulez

Tres Bien! I'm sure he will when he gets there and that's what I'm worried about. Wink

We're going, me for the first time, next weekend for opening day. Cool

http://www.ragincajuns.com/Baseball/baseball.htm<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You've got to be on him like ugly on an ape re: classes. A player making progress to a degree has more leverage than one on the verge of being ineligible AND there's more to life than Baseball.

Even if he plays in the Majors, he'll live 40 years after he's done. It's a long empty time if you have no other interests, skills or abilities.

BON CHANCE!

Last edited {1}
Voodoo
Well said. He has always made sure his academics came first. In that we're blessed. That's how he earned an out-of-state tuition waver, freeing up scholly cash for the team.

Will it hold up? He has as good a chance as any. He knows better and treasures the opportunity at hand.

quote:
It's a long empty time if you have no other intersts, skills or abilities.

Man cannot live by baseball alone.

Last edited {1}
quote:
Originally posted by TRhit:
Sign with an agent during HS or College prior to the draft and you lose your eligibility

TRhit

Can you name ANY I repeat ANY players the NCAA has denied eligibility to? NO because it hasn't happened.

The players deemed to be in violation of the NCAA rules have been suspended for approximately 10% of their games in only the first season after they were caught.

Most recent example, Jeremy Sowers had to sit out 6 games his Freshman year out of the 60 Vandebilt played that year.
quote:
Originally posted by MrOctober:
vc,

By when do high school and college players begin signing with agents? Do they sign right before the draft, or months earlier?

To play the "NCAA game" you have to call them "Advisors". It's ridiculous but it's easier than going to court to fight them on it.

Anyway, it depends on the Player. I've known cases of Players committing to an "Advisor" as early as the July before their Senior year of HS. Most have decided before the start of their Sr. season.

As far as college Players, most of them who were drafted had "Advisors" out of HS & many stay with them for the draft after their Jr. year.

The Players who either weren't drafted at all or weren't drafted high enough to warrant using an "Advisor" go through the whole process like the HS kids & many agree with an "Advisor" the summer before their Jr. year.
quote:
VC

I am sure you are

I live by my ethics you live by yours

What troubles me is that agents have enough trouble getting respect and you come on here and post that players should break the rules--- doesnt that tell me something about you as a person?

TRhit

The rule is ridiculous, wouldn't stand up in court as it is "restraint of trade".

Quite frankly, don't care what troubles you...I'm not a Shrink. I didn't post here for your approval. Would probably be more disappointed if I got it.
VC

I am not here to give approval or disapproval on your thoughts. I am more concerned with people making a mistake that can cost them dearly

You still are advocating that kids break a rule-- it is not a matter of whether the rule is right or wrong--that is a debate for another time and place--the fact is that it exists and you are telling people to break that rule because you say it is "ridiculous"--the NCAA does not see it that way and they happen to have the "HAMMER"

We have guys around here who are calling themselves "agents" and asking 15 and 16 year old kids in HS to sign "contracts" and telling them they can get drafted by this or that MLB team .

There are people out there being taken advantage of without knowing the ramifications of their actions.

You may be the best darned agent in the world but you are off base, at least in my mind, directing kids to break the rules that are in existence.

TRhit
quote:
VC

I am not here to give approval or disapproval on your thoughts. I am more concerned with people making a mistake that can cost them dearly

You still are advocating that kids break a rule-- it is not a matter of whether the rule is right or wrong--that is a debate for another time and place--the fact is that it exists and you are telling people to break that rule because you say it is "ridiculous"--the NCAA does not see it that way and they happen to have the "HAMMER"

We have guys around here who are calling themselves "agents" and asking 15 and 16 year old kids in HS to sign "contracts" and telling them they can get drafted by this or that MLB team .

There are people out there being taken advantage of without knowing the ramifications of their actions.

You may be the best darned agent in the world but you are off base, at least in my mind, directing kids to break the rules that are in existence.

TRhit

OK TR let's play it your way because you may be the best darned TRhitter in the world. All you Parents & Players, don't even talk to an Agent until you/your Son have signed his/your first professional contract. That way you will violate NONE of the sacred NCAA rules.

Be prepared however, to sign for about 50% of what you're really worth because that's what would happen if teams knew they wouldn't have to deal with Agents on draft choice contracts.

Just like the "good old days" TR before drafted players used Agents. Remember when Jeff Burroughs was the #1 pick in the draft? He signed for a whopping $80,000. He was MVP of the American League where he was finally paid what he was worth BECAUSE of the work of #1 Marvin Miller & #2 Jeff's Agent.

How much do you think he worried about the NCAA when his Son Sean was drafted #1 by the Padres?

There TR, now I hope you can sleep better tonight knowing that the uncorruptable NCAA can maintain it's hallowed, place in our society guarding the morals of our children while the NCAA makes BILLIONS of dollars exploiting them.
Welcome to the 21st century.
Last edited {1}
As much as ethics should play a role - the fact is ethics mean nothing to those "at the table".

If there is one marginal dollar to be made by challenging MLB and/or the NCAA - then you can bet your life that agents and lawyers will be all over this like flys on you know what.

Has nothing to do with ethics - or with what is best for the player. Has all to do with the opportunity to make incremental dollars for the decision makers IMO.
VC

I sleep well every night

What the NCAA is or is not in your eyes or my eyes matters not--it is the fact that they have the hammer and they have the rules

I never said I agree with it but I still say any agent instructing kids to break one rule is wrong ---it makes one wonder how many other rules they will have the player break.

TRhit
quote:
Originally posted by itsinthegame:
As much as ethics should play a role - the fact is ethics mean nothing to those "at the table".

If there is one marginal dollar to be made by challenging MLB and/or the NCAA - then you can bet your life that agents and lawyers will be all over this like flys on you know what.

Has nothing to do with ethics - or with what is best for the player. Has all to do with the opportunity to make incremental dollars for the decision makers IMO.

I take offense at you implying I would sacrifice the interests of my clients to make money for myself. My ethics are as sound as anyone that posts on this site & I ALWAYS inform my clients as to what is going on with ANY & EVERY aspect of their affairs in which I play a part.

In addition, I've been called many things in my life, but not stupid. Even if all I cared about was money, it would be world class stupid for me to sacrifice the interests of a client who potentially may pay me millions of dollars on a career worth of contracts for the small amount I get paid from their Signing Bonus when they're drafted.
Last edited {1}
Voodoo,

If that is the case - you should be commended and I applaud you. The opinion was not directed at you personally.

Unfortunately - my opinion about what is occurring on the business side of the sport remains unchanged.

I think - given your knowledge of the game and involvement in the game - you would be hard pressed to prove otherwise.

And you will be even more hard pressed to prove otherwise a year or two from now.

It's gonna be a "Lawsuits R Us" type of environment once the money gets flowing.

Tick tock.
Voodoo,

Sorry for the "cryptic" one-liners.

I think that once a "crack" appears in the stance taken by the NCAA (and MLB) - there will be a flood of situations - like Clarett.

If any of these anticpated situations result in a positive financial outcome for the athlete (and his agents/lawyers) - the flood will become a tidal wave.

I think it is just a matter of time before this occurs.

Additionally - and let me reiterate - I enjoy your posts - and the perspective they give. I also appreciate your responses. I find them all very interesting and hope you continue to offer your view.

The one thing I would say, however, is that the preface "in the best interest of my client" gets a bit old sometimes.
In many cases - that convenient preface doesnt really get to the heart of the issue IMO.

Like running over grandma because she was blocking your clients limo and he was gonna be late for a meeting. You know - "in the best interest of my client" we just had to run her over because my client would have been late.

I am curious - do you think that anyone on the business side of the table cares at all about the game anymore - or is it now purely 100% about the dollars?

Last edited {1}
[QUOTE]Originally posted by itsinthegame:
Voodoo,

"Sorry for the "cryptic" one-liners.

I think that once a "crack" appears in the stance taken by the NCAA (and MLB) - there will be a flood of situations - like Clarett.

If any of these anticpated situations result in a positive financial outcome for the athlete (and his agents/lawyers) - the flood will become a tidal wave.

I think it is just a matter of time before this occurs."

Can't speak to that issue. I wouldn't touch you touching Pro Football with you holding a 10 foot pole.

"Additionally - and let me reiterate - I enjoy your posts - and the perspective they give. I also appreciate your responses. I find them all very interesting and hope you continue to offer your view."

Well, if you insist.(LOL)

"Like running over grandma"

Never ran over any Grannies that I'm aware of.

"I am curious - do you think that anyone on the business side of the table cares at all about the game anymore - or is it now purely 100% about the dollars?"

Can only speak for myself on this issue. My clients don't hire me to worry about "the game" any more than you hire a lawyer to worry about "the legal system". I'm an advocate for my clients first & last.

I think you need to talk to masquerading Commisioner Kennesaw "Molehill" Selig about looking out for the game.
Last edited {1}
quote:
Originally posted by itsinthegame:
You answered all of my questions. On my behalf - and on behalf of all the grannies that dont have really good footspeed - I thank you. LOL

And thanks for the 10 foot thing too - I thought you were going to say at least 1,000 feet.
Wink

1)Check my post in the general section re:Speed training.
2)1,000 ft. poles tend to be difficult at best.
Its,

quote:
I am curious - do you think that anyone on the business side of the table cares at all about the game anymore - or is it now purely 100% about the dollars?

I just think that the reality of the situation is that managment is hired to wear 2 hats. One being to build a winning team(in some programs) and 2 to manage the money like a greedy mogul. The guys who wear both hats well do pretty well. Steinbrenner has the Luxury of buying what he needs to win and being baseball first. Most teams do not have that luxury. I have always admired George's "I need to win attitude".

If you don't have an agent at the table with the same motivation, then you are at a disadvantage. I find it disgusting when management comes out and makes comments about players during negotiations about not caring about the game, the fans, etc. e all know that guys like Boras go overboard. I also know that players need an advocate. JMO

the Florida Bombers
"I love the HSBBW"
Last edited {1}
Bighit,

I agree with you in most cases - but at the same time I also think it is refreshing to see some high profile players starting to put a value on things other than squeezing the last possible penny out of each organization. After all - we pay for it.

I hope that guys, like Schilling, multiply and prosper - although I am sure they will be attacked and villified by those in the agent community.
Bighit is correct. If you tell a team you love the game and you'll play for (almost) free, the team will not object. Loving and respecting the game, and earning a living at the game are not mutually exclusive. To the contrary they go hand in hand.

I don't think Schilling loves the game anymore than he used to just because he did not squeeze the Red Sox for a couple extra million per year. He's getting his cake and eating it too, as he should being one of the best in a profession, as is Pettitte. I think they are both getting around $10M per year.

Plenty of people are criticizing IRod for (maybe) signing with Detroit for $40M. Maybe they are competitive in 3 years. They have good young pitching. Maybe they turn it around.

The D-Rays will win more game this year, in spite of terrible ownership. Maybe Detroit can turn it with a few more bucks spent.

Schilling said "Hey, we're talking about my childrens childrens childrens money now. I'm not going to fight over a few bucks", but is easier to say that if you have to do the squabling yourself with out an agent. JMO

Don't begrudge guys like Hampton his Rockies contract, I guess unless they stuck somewhere lame like ARod. Then again, I know of about a thousand shortstops that would swap spots with him though. There I go shootin' off at the key board again.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.