Skip to main content

Hi, I'm new to this forum although have been reading it for years. My son is graduating this year and is going to a D1 school in the fall. Some of his friends from other D1 schools have already been placed on summer collegiate league teams. My son's school has not contacted him about any summer plans. Should we be concerned? Is it unusual for incoming freshmen to play on a collegiate summer team? Any suggestions on what he should do this summer to stay sharp?

Thanks folks, appreciate any feedback.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I see virtually no upside for a graduating high school senior to play in a summer collegiate league. There are lots of issues -- one being playing time. But most of all, play the best high school competition (Connie Mack, for instance) you can find, have a fun summer, don't wear yourself to the bone and come into your new school with enthusiasm, fresh and ready to go.

I agree with Jemaz; our league (Valley) prohibits high school players. Unless you are named Bryce Harper, a high school senior should play with the best team he can, American Legion or travel team, or whatever, but focus on getting in tip top shape-running, throwing, lifting, hitting in the cage, flexibility, T work, etc.    Good summer leagues feature pretty impressive talent and very few guys right out of high school  are truly ready. Getting rested and ready makes sense-because your son will be doing "baseball activities" pretty much year round for the next 4 years.

-Relax and realize that it is common for incoming freshmen not to be placed.

-Have him ask college coach for recommended summer conditioning program.  If coach doesn't give much info, be sure son ramps up his own program by the time he heads to school.  He is probably going to be tested like never before on this front.

-As jemaz said, do take a bit of a "refresh" break.  It may be his last for a while.

-At least toward the end of summer, play some ball, get some reps and maybe refresher lesson so he comes into fall reasonably sharp.  It doesn't have to be summer college ball.  Can be jumping in a few tourneys with a travel team, mens summer league, Connie Mack, etc.

Last edited by cabbagedad

Get yourself in the best shape you have ever been in and walk on campus strong, refreshed and energized. Particularly for pitchers who may have had a demanding Sr season from workload. Focus on improving weak aspects of your game, which you won't have time to do in a summer league. They are a grind. 

I wanted to bump this thread because I wonder if there are other 2016 parents who are running into the same question with their boys possible getting placed in Summer Collegiate baseball the summer after graduation.

We attended games in a regional league for young D1 and JC players, and some topflight D3 kids. Son told me watched watched for tempo, speed of the game, batting and pitching approaches. He gave it some thought and believes he is up to the competitive challenge based on the level of play he saw.

He spoke to RC at the school he has verballed who agrees with him, but wanted to hear son make an argument in favor of jumping in with both feet. The conversation stayed between the two of them, but it must have gone in son's favor because they are on to next steps.

From where I sit, I just needed to see the spectrum of physicality in the league. Son is competitive as all get-out. And he is physical as heck. But he is 5'9" 175, and I believe the real question is wear and tear from such an intense schedule.

Also interesting, mainly because I respect each of the posters here who said to avoid the challenge for now: every player my son has talked to (college and pro) has enthusiastically encouraged him to seek a summer league placement after he graduates from high school. 

At any rate, just a bump if anyone wants to talk about this stuff some more.

Tres, son faced this choice this summer:

he could have been a backup in a well-known College League (after missing almost the whole 1st month of season due to high school ball going extra long) which would have been a learning experience but not the ABs his college coach wanted

or

playing on a local multi-county college league team which was termed HS + to us.

Scouts and the gentleman from the Scouting Bureau who has been following him in HS said to avoid the weaker college league and play a strong Connie Mack + schedule.

College coach wanted him to catch and hit as much as possible vs good arms.

Went that route.

Faced many D1 signed pitchers throwing around 90 mph or higher.

He hit well (except for a week facing a string of 65 mph junk-baller arms, ( I know, I know ), ending up 2nd on his team in batting (hitting in 3 hole most of the summer) to a incoming college soph who batted 2nd).

Summer ended facing good teams and D1 arms at the 18u CABA World Series where he hit .700 (he was hot, though unfortunately team failed to advance far in the event).

Several incoming freshman D1 players he knows made the same choice although many on various other Connie Mack teams suggested by their college coach, and all were happy with it.

Son was glad he faced good pitching most of the summer to prepare for fall,

for example he said he saw more sliders this summer than he ever saw all through HS..

This choice also afforded him the chance to train,

work out, take extra BP with his coach

and has turned down August invites for events to rest the body (he played & caught more games than ever before this spring and summer), as well as work out more intensely and prepare for the challenges of college.

He is sure (as am I) there will be surprises and adjustments no matter how well a HS graduate prepares.

PS- Your local college league may be better than the one close to us

PSS- we hear the good summer leagues fill up by October of freshmen year,

will know in a couple of weeks- college coach says likely son will play in the above-mentioned tougher league after his freshman year next summer

Every case is different as is often written here, just like a college choice,

going where you play a lot vs mostly good teams was the key factor for our son.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.