Skip to main content

First pitch is right around the corner. All programs are in there conditioning phase of the season. Everyone is waiting for Spring weather and the opportunity to get outdoors. Teams have high hopes for the year and the post season. Many good returning players from last year throughout the state. It should be a very interesting year, espiecally for teams from the North. Who are the favorites?? It's a long list. Can't wait to get started. Looking forward to hearing what others have to say.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Favorites... The four state champions from last year. McCutcheon, Norwell,Triton Central, and Tecumseh will NOT repeat, that's a fact. They all had a tremendous senior class. 2004 will have a few surprises. Hopefully from the North.The hardest part of post season play, is getting out of your own sectional. The Duneland, NIC, Northern Lakes, and Summit League have great talent top to bottom. From the Duneland... Valpo,Crown Point,Lake Central, and of course Laporte. Laporte should be favored. The NIC.... PENN, Riley, Clay, Washington, and Marian. Penn will be favored. Penn should have gone further downstate last year.NLC... Elkhart Memorial will win that conf.The Summit in Fort Wayne... to wide open.
From the Duneland, LaPorte should be awesome this year, great pitching and maturity. Northern Lakes, I like Memorial but keep an eye on Plymouth and Warsaw again. The NIC is the difficult one. Penn will be favored again. They were better last year than when they won the 4A State title in 2001. They should have gone further last year. Great program,excellant coaches, and a ton of talent. They just reload. Who could surprise... Clay, the best coaching staff in South Bend and a lot of young talent. Washington has proven pitching. Marian, a lot of pitching depth, but unproven. Mishawaka and Elkhart Central are always good. Unsure about Adams and St.Joe. Riley, probably has had the most talent of any SB school for the last 4-5 years, but can't win a sectional. Great team last year, but way to many internal problems. They beat Penn last year, played great the second half of the season and then lost to Washington in the sectionals. If they find some pitching depth, they'll win the conference. Good senior leadership, with Biskupski,Wray, Klowetter,Jones, Springer,and Waite. Penn should win it... Clay may surprise, my gut says its Riley. I guess we will find out soon enough.
hey oldcoach722, I agree with Laporte.. saw them in the sectional & regionals last year. Ton of young talent and it helps to have good coaching. Elk Memorial should win the Lakes... there catcher is real good. I forgot his name but I think he signed with a DIV I college... Maybe Purdue! The NIC.... Penn, Clay, or Riley. I think everyone said the same last year. Clay has the player depth, Penn has the incredible talent and tradition, and Riley has guys that have been playing together forever. For the Riley senior class this year, this is it. The facts says its Penn again. My heart hopes its Riley.
OldCoach

I have to disagree with your statement about those schools not returning to the chapionship, I donmt not know a lot about them except Trtion Central, because I live down here. They lost a few decent hitters, but their 2 pitchers that lead them to state (Broughton and Early) were both Sophomores, and I know they have both gotten bigger and stronger for the upcoming season. As well their centerfilder who broke the Indiana State Championship Gmae record for hits, is back as a senior. I know it is very very difficult to win back to back, but I wouldn't count them out right away.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.