Skip to main content

Anyone have any advice in regards to what a kid should wear to a HS tryout in the school gym? They can't have it outside because of snow and cold. In these situations do you guys know if the players still wear full baseball attire? Obviously, you can't wear cleats, but what about the pants, belt, socks and jersey? the coaches at our school haven't said anything specific and everyone's afraid to ask.
Thanks!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

That's a great idea! I will definitely have him bring a change of clothes. Just to avoid confusion, my son posted the original question and a few replies, but now it's me. I am also wondering how the heck they conduct a tryout in the gym? I know when there's snow on the ground and it's 10 degrees out they have no choice, but how can a player field grounders or catch fly balls etc...? There's not enough room to see if a kid can make a throw from right field to 3rd or even from short or 3rd to 1st. Anyone know how these tryouts are usually conducted?
Our HS coach set up the pitching machine aimed at the basketball court and shot grounders at the field players. Boy, was he in trouble when the basketball team showed up the next day with a ruined gym floor!

Our team used portable mounds for pitching, set up an indoor cage in the auxilary gym for hitting, and clocked OF throws the length of the gym to get an idea of arm strength. Other than that, lots of 6am running and plyos when the gym was available. Think he was trying to drive off the boys who weren't committed to working hard. You just make the best of what you've got till the weather warms up!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.