Skip to main content

Bases are loaded. Batter hits a ball approx 15 feet in the air on an arc between 1st and 2nd basemen. They both get close to the ball but don't touch it. I called infield fly rule. Batter is out. All runners advanced a base because they didn't catch it. They were close to it but not under it. Did I mess this up?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Infield fly rule is called when the infielder is"camped" under a ball to make a routine catch of a fly.  This can also happen when a second baseman or ss is playing deep, ball is popped up and ball would land beyond the dirt cutout but if deemed a routine fly for an infielder then it is an infield fly rule.  If the fly is in the infield and the catch is not a routine catch, then the rule does not go into play.  Sounds to me like you were hasty in making the call.  Tough judgement call.  Runners can advance after the ball hits the ground or first contact at their own risk, but have to tag up at the base as if a fly were caught

They do not have to be camped under it, the umpire just has to deem it a routine fly.  Some age groups nothing is routine.  If fielder is still adjusting to the ball, is it routine or are they approaching the ball?  Umpires discretion, routine or not.  The final thing to think about is the infield fly that is foul, call is "Infield fly rule, if fair."

In addition to the requirement that it can be caught with ordinary effort by an infielder, the ball has to be a fly ball, which is defined as a ball that reaches an appreciable height and is contrasted to a line drive, which is defined as a ball that travels parallel or nearly parallel to the ground for most of its flight.

I don't call infield fly on humpbacked liners.

My subjective sense of ordinary effort is shaped by the purpose of the rule and by what the runners at that level should be expected to do on the ball in question. If they should be retreating to the vicinity of their bases in anticipation of the ball being caught, it's likely an infield fly. If they should be freezing and reading, I would not call it an infield fly.

If two infielders made legitimate efforts but could not reach the ball, it shouldn't have been an infield fly. And the reason may be that it wasn't really a fly ball.
Thank you all for your replies. Upon further recollection of the event, I don't think I would've called it an infield fly rule. They were making great effort to get there, didn't quite make it, no camping under the ball and the trajectory wasn't great. I thinj because I missed this call in my last game that I was over compensating for it this time. Although, upon talking to my field ump and the coach, they didn't seem to mind my call.  But definitely need to get better at making these decisions.
My confidence in my ability has greatly improved since I first started umping. After the game 4 parents came up to me and said I did a great job. One even asked "how did we get so lucky to have a professional umpire at our game?" Lol I looked professional so they thought I was. I'll take it.

You neglected to mention in OP that you were PU...  Anyway, this is where a good pregame and your partner help you out.  The partner can help with the height and ordinary effort portion and then point skyward indicating IFR. As a PU you can/should look at your partner since he'll have the ball tracked, if he's pointing up, then call it.  If not, then perhaps he has something that says it's not.

Depending on level there are certainly some grey areas. The downside if you don't call it in those areas is an easy double play is possible, but if you do call it and it isn't you'll be hearing it (or visited by a coach). Players at higher levels know how to take advantage of situations, so you have to be prepared for it.  Ordinary effort is not only a judgement call, but an ability call too!

Rule states:  "...ordinary effort.."  That's important.  If they are running, that's not ordinary effort.  Also, your field umpire can help you by determining it's an infield fly and he can point straight up.  Use your field umpire so that means have a good pregame.

Ok, sounds like you dorked this one up.  Learn from it and get better next time.  Keep trying, you're doing a hard job.  In time, you'll feel yourself advancing and getting better.  When you do, you'll get better games.

One of these days you won't be chasing the game.  It will come to you.  That's a really great feeling.  Then you'll know you're at the top.  You'll know what I mean when it happens.  The game will flow.  It will be smooooooooooth.

I hope that day comes for you soon.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.