Skip to main content

Looking for encouragement from any websters who have been there before. The ninth grade season is half over and my son is disappointed and frustrated over lack of enough playing time. Can any who have gone through this before relate any of their stories of slow starts in ninth grade and strong finishes by their senior year? My son enjoys the game and works at it but he could use a lift right now. Thanks
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I know several kids who did not even make it on the team as freshman who later became successful high school players through sheer force of will, hard work, determination, and a never give up attitude. I think their love of the game allowed them to overcome these things. Also, and maybe more important, after the initial failure, they quit playing like there was something to lose and thus let their natural abilities take over.
I've always thought baseball is exactly like life in that you're going to be taking 7 hard knocks for every 3 triumphs. I barely played at all in my first two years of highschool but ended up getting a scholarship to one of the best schools in the country and having a pretty good college career. I've seen guys who walked on to college teams and ended up being stars. You never know when somethings going to click. Just keep the head down and work is the advice I would give.

R.A.
I have a student who also plays softball that has Lou Gehrig's Disease. She is currently starting but her "bad days" are getting more frequent. She won't have very many more "good days." She is struggling now but did hit a major double the other day against one of the top pitchers in our state to win the game. After having her in class, I don't think I'm going to have very many "bad days" in education.
We're down to our last game tomorrow. Mine is a freshman with an August birthday, didn't play much the first 1/2 of the season.

But after spring break, he's starting and starts maybe 5 games in a row but they d.h. him.

Then, the other kid's back in there for 2 games and he's back on the bench.

But now, he's starting again and they're letting him hit, so you never know what the coaches are going to do.

What I told him when he wasn't playing: keep working hard, because you're working for next year's spot also. You'll be back next year an inch taller and 15 lbs heavier. Work in the offseason to become a standout, not just another player.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.