Skip to main content

I didn't know where to begin this topic. We hear everyday about stories of kids that are living their dream, whether it be in college or at the pro level. Thought it would be a good idea to share some, perhaps others would share and if there's interest, topic can be pinned to the top of the board for awhile.

This is about Tyler Colvin, I am sure by this time most of you know who he is.

I am not sure of the details, but I understand that he had little interest in HS. The story around is that his grandfather took Ty to camp to camp for exposure, but there wasn't lots of interest on the high or mid D1 level, or if any. Young, skinny, and a lot of physical maturing to do, Jack Leggett signed him for a 15% scholarship to Clemson. I remember reading an article where Jack admitted that he gave that amount because at the time, he was low on the radar and not sure if he would ever be a true starter. And because he played 1B, they had already committed to another player for that position.

Going into his draft year in college, I think he wasn't even on the top 100 in his class. He didn't even have any advisor/agent interest until his junior season.

The rest of the story is history, drafted in 2006 as the 13th overall pick, now a regular name mentioned on ESPN.

I know that folks and their plyaers take it personally when they feel their players are overlooked, but this is just an example of why you shouldn't. You just got to find one person who beleives in you and willing to give you the chance and then go about your business of proving the others wrong.

Here's another great story, a 26th round player from The Citadel tearing it up in AA, just shy of his 24th birthday. Seems to me that the work ethic he has was instilled through military training in college.

http://www.news-leader.com/art...ng-his-job-seriously
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The best story I know...and now a legend around these parts...Daniel Nava.

Batboy at Stanford...tried to walkon at Santa Clara, cut...JC for a year or two...returned to SCU, made team....did well...undrafted...independent ball. After a year, signed with the Red Sox for a bus ticket.

Startin' in the big leagues now. Smile

After long journey, Nava takes historic swing
Last edited by justbaseball
Guess due to what we do, we have many very inspirational stories. Currently there are over 250 Major League players we have had the privilege of watching when they were younger.

There are many great stories, maybe we will tell them some day. Also, my own son is an inspirational story.

Here are just some of the ones we know who have a great story behind their success, that should be told. Every story is different.

Joe Votto
Carl Crawford
Brian McCann
Adam Jones
Zach Duke
David Aardsma
Dana Eveland
Dustin McGowan
Mike Morse
Pat Neshek
JR Towles
Wesley Wright
Cliff Pennington
Dexter Fowler
Gabby Sanchez
Colby Rasmus
Trevor Crowe
Phillip Walters
Chris Leroux
Jason Berken
Tommy Hanson
Buster Posey
Daniel Hudson
Gerardo Parra
Johnny Venters
Brennan Boesch
John Ely
Lance Zawadzki
Mike Napoli
Jason Heyward
And perhaps the best story of all…
Stephen Strasburg

Every player mentioned above is different. From first rounder to Free Agent, but they all had certain things in common and they made it happen to one extent or another. They all have an inspirational story to tell. The Carl Crawford story is absolutely amazing.

Pretty hard to beat the Daniel Nava story though.
I get inspired in different ways. I guess I'm an underdog guy although when I was a kid, I rooted for overdog guys like Reggie Jackson.

Jim Abbot was one who came to mind. Playing big league baseball with one hand.

Jeff Taylor has provided inspiration recently although I am first praying for him to get a chance and praying for him to hit.

As I am sure like many of you, my son inspires me because he is more mentally tough than I am.

Nick Adenhart was an inspiration. He battled a serious arm injury in high school but never used that as an excuse and saw his dream come true to play in the big leagues. I saw his family on the Mike Huckabee show and they were an inspiration.
PG,
You should tell about your son, many newcomers probably don't even know you had a son who pitched in the majors.

I agree about Nick, but I think his brother Henry, who is beginning the recruiting process, is now earning his own right to be an inspiration. Smile
Last edited by TPM
PG, I agree with TPM in that it is a great story. Besides, most "websters" are transients with a continual flow of newbies coming in and old timers leaving. There are exceptions like myself and TRHit that have been here forever --- but then we're so old we have forgotten what we read the week before... Big Grin
Fungo
quote:
Originally posted by TPM:
PG,
You should tell about your son, many newcomers probably don't even know you had a son who pitched in the majors.

quote:
Originally posted by PGStaff:
TPM, I know it's a good story, but I've already told it a couple times on here.

Great stories with positive messages can never be told enough...they are timeless...

Cool 44
I believe why Jerry (PGStaff) doesn't like retelling the story is because it reflects poorly on him as a talent evaluator Big Grin j/k

Seriously, with the magic of the search engine, I was able to find one version of the story. This was in a thread where a parent asked if current college parent's (now looking back) knew if their kids were capable of playing college baseball at an early age:

From PGStaff:
quote:
I agree completely with "hokieone" and others who say "it's too early to know".

I've told this story before, but will repeat it again for those who might have missed it.

One of my older sons was one of the best players I have seen from 9 to 19 years old. He signed with the Cincinnati Reds and was out of baseball after one year.

My youngest son was the very worst player on his team from youth leagues to sophomore in high school.

He got better his junior and senior years, but was not recruited by any colleges and was not drafted. He was throwing about 84 mph at the time. He took the one offer that was given and went to junior college.

Then he was drafted by the Yankees and quickly became one of their top prospects not far behind Jeter.

He then was selected in the first round of the expansion draft by the Diamondbacks.

The same kid who was the worst player on all his youth league teams made his Major League debut in front of some 50,000 fans at age 22.

He is recovering from an arm injury now, but has been in professional baseball since 1994. He has pitched in the Big Leagues for the D'backs, Yankees and Brewers last year.

When he was 14 years old, I was hoping he would get good enough to contribute in high school.

Here was another related post in a thread about cutting a friends son - I believe PG was able to top that story:

From PGStaff:
quote:
About 17 years ago I was talked into coaching the local American Legion team. After the first week of tryouts I made the cuts to get down to 18 players.

Among the players cut was a young kid who was my wife’s favorite player. Things were a bit rough around the house for awhile, but all worked out well.

My wife’s favorite player ended up going much farther than all those I kept. At the time I thought it was the right decision to cut my son. Still think it was to this day! I didn’t volunteer for the next year.

Here is another version of the story with more detail - very inspiring:

From PGStaff:
quote:
Great posts by everyone.

I’ve told this story before, but here it is again. It is a good true story that may educate others. I know it sure taught me a few things.

We had three sons, at a young age the oldest was a basketball player, next came a very talented baseball player, the youngest (by 5 years) was not very athletic.

The middle son, I knew was going to be very good at a young age and he loved it. I didn’t do anything special except teach him the game. He became all-state, all American, and played in the Cincinnati Reds organization.

Because I worked in baseball and more because the middle brother was a star player, the youngest son became interested in baseball. He just wasn’t very talented, but that never stopped him. At age 13 he was the “worst” player on his team, but he really enjoyed it. He also told me that he planned to play in the Major Leagues some day.

Knowing better, but trying to keep his dream somewhat alive I told him his goal should be to first play baseball in high school and then in college. Whatever was meant to happen will happen and it would be a great accomplishment to play in college.

Of course at the time I was just hoping he would someday get a college education and really didn’t think he would get good enough to actually play in college. Also told him… He needed to concentrate on pitching… (He couldn’t hit or field… but he did have a good arm!)

Well he did concentrate on pitching and he got better. I helped him as much as possible, but never spent much money taking him anywhere. Doubt it would have helped anyway. Did spend time whenever possible. I kind of thought HE was wasting his time concentrating on baseball so much. But it was better than getting into trouble and he really loved it!

By the time he was a tall skinny junior in high school he was throwing in the 80s and had developed a good curve ball. As a senior he had one college (juco) offer, only because his older brother attended that juco. Obviously no draft possibilities coming out of high school. He still insisted he was going to play in the Big Leagues, but under my breath… I knew better!... Just wasn’t going to tell him!

To make a long story a lot shorter… the kid who was the worst player on his 13 year old team and just so-so in high school at age 17… was pitching in Bank One Ball Park in front of nearly 50,000 fans against the Houston Astros at age 22.

I didn’t sacrifice a thing other than my truthful opinion! The thing that got him to the Big Leagues was his own persistence and dedication. He did it himself and for that I am extremely proud! And grateful for the education!

Now I don’t discount anyone who has a dream, believes in themselves and is willing to work hard. I've seen first hand that nearly anything is possible!
Last edited by ClevelandDad
I love these stories - the new ones and the ones we need to coax to be retold. Smile Look how many of our "pro parents" have posted in this thread already, yet are reluctant/modest to mention their own sons who have made it all the way to professional baseball.

I truly am inspired by these stories, and know that our newer and older members are, too. Please don't be shy about telling, even if it's about your own son!

Julie
quote:
Originally posted by PGStaff:
Guess due to what we do, we have many very inspirational stories. Currently there are over 250 Major League players we have had the privilege of watching when they were younger.

There are many great stories, maybe we will tell them some day. Also, my own son is an inspirational story.

Here are just some of the ones we know who have a great story behind their success, that should be told. Every story is different.

Joe Votto
Carl Crawford
Brian McCann
Adam Jones
Zach Duke
David Aardsma
Dana Eveland
Dustin McGowan
Mike Morse
Pat Neshek
JR Towles
Wesley Wright
Cliff Pennington
Dexter Fowler
Gabby Sanchez
Colby Rasmus
Trevor Crowe
Phillip Walters
Chris Leroux
Jason Berken
Tommy Hanson
Buster Posey
Daniel Hudson
Gerardo Parra
Johnny Venters
Brennan Boesch
John Ely
Lance Zawadzki
Mike Napoli
Jason Heyward
And perhaps the best story of all…
Stephen Strasburg

Every player mentioned above is different. From first rounder to Free Agent, but they all had certain things in common and they made it happen to one extent or another. They all have an inspirational story to tell. The Carl Crawford story is absolutely amazing.

Pretty hard to beat the Daniel Nava story though.

The Nava story is something to behold. Jonny Venters was a skinny lefty scout team team mate of my son in 2003, who maybe hit 84 or 85 on the gun as he headed to a middle of the pack juco program. The Braves took him as a DNF and signed him 5 or 6 years ago. Man, did they teach how to pitch since then. That guy really play now.
Last edited by Dad04
quote:
Originally posted by MN-Mom:
I love these stories - the new ones and the ones we need to coax to be retold. Smile Look how many of our "pro parents" have posted in this thread already, yet are reluctant/modest to mention their own sons who have made it all the way to professional baseball.

I truly am inspired by these stories, and know that our newer and older members are, too. Please don't be shy about telling, even if it's about your own son!

Julie

...always nice to read about Inspiring Stories!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.