Skip to main content

Greetings,

My son, a 2020 RHP, received the following email from an assistant coach at a school that was present at a showcase my son attended this past summer. A few days before the showcase, my son emailed a different coach at this school, but that coach never wrote back and my son did not interact with any coach from this school at the showcase. I believe the showcase prepared player evaluations that it gave to the attending coaches. Now this email appears out of the blue. What do you all think? Interest? Level of interest? Thanks.

[Son's First Name],

I hope all is well with you. My name is ***** ***** and I am an assistant baseball coach at ***** University. After reviewing some of your information, I feel that you may be a fit for our program.

***** University is a top academic institution in the U.S., and is currently ranked ***** by US News . On the field, our program advanced to the ***** playoffs in ***** and *****.

Please feel free to explore ***** University and our baseball program by clicking on the two links below. Also, please send over any video footage, unofficial transcripts, and test score reports that you may have if you are interested in our program.

I look forward to hearing back from you!

[Coach]

juerg

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You don’t start passing valuable personal information (transcripts, test scores) until you’re having live discussions.

They purchased the mailing list for the event and placed your son in their database. You will be receiving invites to all their money making camps.

Last edited by RJM
RJM posted:

You don’t start passing valuable personal information (transcripts, test scores) until you’re having live discussions.

They purchased the mailing list for the event and placed your son in their database. You will be receiving invites to all their money making camps.

This is a high academic D3 - they don't have any camps.

Also, if live discussions always come before passing academic information, why do the high academic schools ask that you first complete their online academic questionnaires so they can determine whether it's worth their while engaging in discussions with you?

Generic Email, but that doesn't mean you ignore it.  Go ahead and send what the coach asked for.  Understand this is one of many Emails they sent out to potential recruits.  Be patient.  After sending transcripts and video, which should be done to most high academics, they'll let you know if they're really interested.  As the process continues, keep in touch and find out where they might be recruiting this summer.  They might even volunteer that info.  If there's strong interest, they'll want to see your son play, but as RJM said, be cautious about camp invites.   

Generic for sure....and it sounds like they got your son's info from the showcase people...not a reply to the email he sent.  If he's interested definitely do not ignore it.  Reply with a thank you....mention that he was at the showcase they attended...and even name the coach from that Univ that was at the showcase, if your son knows it.  Tell them you have a real interest in their school and would like to have further discussions if they fell he is a potential fit.   If any of his measurables from the showcase stood out, be sure to mention them...as they are easily "verifiable" by the coach that attended.  Good luck

My son was registered but missed Head First due to injury. He received several emails saying, “Saw you at Head First ...”

When I stated valuable information isn’t passed before live conversation I meant I wouldn’t do it. My son only provided information directly to the coaching staff in an email if he wanted to draw their attention or if they directly requested it after seeing him play. He didn’t just throw it out there to anyone who asked. He didn’t provide transcripts until there was legit interest. 

But getting back to the point of your post, it’s a form letter. They probably have no idea who your son is. 

PABaseball posted:

It doesn't matter. He didn't attend, the coach sent an email saying we saw you at HeadFirst. They have no clue who he is. 

Actually it does matter. In his first post he wrote: "You don’t start passing valuable personal information (transcripts, test scores) until you’re having live discussions." But then in his second post he wrote: "My son was registered but missed Head First due to injury."  Well, when you register for a Headfirst academic camp, Headfirst asks for your Grade Point Average, SAT score, ACT score, etc. If his son gave Headfirst his academic information, then what he wrote in his first post is false.

Well not necessarily false, as self reporting your GPA and test scores on a HF form is different than sending your transcripts.  

But a few things re high academic D3s.  Many DO have their own camps.  Not sure why you think this school does not, as the top HA D3 where we went fishing all had their own camps, just not many of them (maybe a fall one only, sometimes 2 camps) and not advertised very well.  Often several NESCAC schools have one day camps on the same day in September, forcing you to choose which one you want most (smart on their part).  

Re the actual question and the email.  I will reply differently.  Yes it may be generic and a result of the showcase, but WHO CARES if this is a school that your son is interested in and is a fit for both academics and baseball.  Reply!  It costs nothing at this point and will help you know whether there is legitimate interest or not.  If you don't have film, that's OK, you can still reply which can start a conversation.  If all you ever receive back are camp invites then it won't matter.  

My son replied to most things he received (and he got emails from things he did not go to just like RJM's son) and it was always easy to determine legitimate interest by what happened after a generic email...when he never heard from them again or only received camp invites and more genetic emails, or if a legitimate conversation started, or coaches came to see him play, or came up to him at a showcase, we knew....

Last edited by Twoboys
juergensen posted:
PABaseball posted:

It doesn't matter. He didn't attend, the coach sent an email saying we saw you at HeadFirst. They have no clue who he is. 

Actually it does matter. In his first post he wrote: "You don’t start passing valuable personal information (transcripts, test scores) until you’re having live discussions." But then in his second post he wrote: "My son was registered but missed Head First due to injury."  Well, when you register for a Headfirst academic camp, Headfirst asks for your Grade Point Average, SAT score, ACT score, etc. If his son gave Headfirst his academic information, then what he wrote in his first post is false.

I was speaking generically. My son did several more events than Head First. I also have a daughter who played college softball. Softball invented the college baseball recruiting model. About fifteen years ago Cathy Aradi wrote a book on college softball recruiting. Change a few words to fit baseball and the book applies to baseball today.

If you want to fight to the finish on being right here just ignore me and do what you think is best. I’m only here to help and give advice. You don’t have to take it. I’ve only been through this twice with two D1 athletes who graduated in the top 3% and top 20% of their high school class. And you?

If you wish I will tell you the letter means your son is their top recruit if it makes you feel better. It just won’t be true. It will still mean next to nothing.

Last edited by RJM
Twoboys posted:

Well not necessarily false, as self reporting your GPA and test scores on a HF form is different than sending your transcripts.  

But a few things re high academic D3s.  Many DO have their own camps.  Not sure why you think this school does not, as the top HA D3 where we went fishing all had their own camps, just not many of them (maybe a fall one only, sometimes 2 camps) and not advertised very well....

Re the actual question and the email.  I will reply differently.  Yes it may be generic and a result of the showcase, but WHO CARES if this is a school that your son is interested in and is a fit for both academics and baseball.  Reply!  It costs nothing at this point and will help you know whether there is legitimate interest or not.  If you don't have film, that's OK, you can still reply which can start a conversation.  If all you ever receive back are camp invites then it won't matter.  

My son replied to most things he received (and he got emails from things he did not go to just like RJM's son) and it was always easy to determine legitimate interest by what happened after a generic email...when he never heard from them again or only received camp invites and more genetic emails, or if a legitimate conversation started, or coaches came to see him play, or came up to him at a showcase, we knew....

1. Yes, it is necessarily false. RJM said, "You don’t start passing valuable personal information (transcripts, test scores) until you’re having live discussions." Well, Headfirst requested RJM's son to submit his GPA (which is a reflection of his transcript) and his ACT and SAT test scores in order to register. That personal information went to dozens if not hundreds of coaches at Headfirst with whom RJM's son had not yet "had live discussions".

2. I do not "think" this D3 does not have camps, I know it from their website.

3. Thank you for your advice. You and DADDYCOUGAR and BUCKEYE 2015 above seem to have your head on straight. My son did respond to this D3 coach, sending him what he asked for, and the coach wrote back immediately, saying it all looked "great" and asking my son to continue sending updates as we continue this process. And, it turns out, my son is a RHP and this coach is this D3's pitching coach. I guess this is all "nothing" too, right, RJM?

Last edited by juergensen

Hey Juergensen -- this is not a court and you don't have to prove your point!  We are all here to help, and you can take or leave advice as you like.   I am glad your son wrote back and you already received a reply.  I guess that you might still see what happens, as the high academic D3 world casts a very wide net, but this is a good sign.

Having said all that, RJM is not wrong.  We know HF very well and had a 2018 friend who did not have a GPA (at a private school) and had not taken any standardized tests as he went his rising junior year.  He registered, no problem.  So it is NOT a requirement as HF will take your money no matter what your GPA or scores are!  Plus your son (or a parent) submitting them is considered "self reporting."   HF does not have a minimum and does not verify any of the info, they merely pass it on so that some of their 100 coaches who care can weed out guys who they know are not academically qualified.    

When a school is seriously interested, they will do a "pre read" with admissions.  This is not the coach reviewing your son's info, it is the admissions dept. giving the coach info as to whether he should recruit your son based on official transcripts and scores, often submitted directly from your HS.  For HA D3 pre reads normally start occurring spring of junior year and throughout the summer.  It often takes a few days to a week or two depending upon the school, time and backlog.  If they do not do a pre read, your son is likely not one of their top recruits and will not receive admissions support.                     

Hey TWOBOYS:
Twoboys posted:

Hey Juergensen -- this is not a court and you don't have to prove your point!  We are all here to help, and you can take or leave advice as you like. [Trust me, I do. ]  I am glad your son wrote back and you already received a reply.  I guess that you might still see what happens, as the high academic D3 world casts a very wide net, but this is a good sign. [Glad to hear that. I thought so too.]

Having said all that, RJM is not wrong. [If RJM's son ever gave Headfirst his GPA or test scores when he registered - for dissemination to the countless unknown coaches that attend HF - that would certainly contradict his advice to me above. That was my question and point. But we don't know if RJM's son did that because RJM hasn't told us.] We know HF very well and had a 2018 friend who did not have a GPA (at a private school) and had not taken any standardized tests as he went his rising junior year.  He registered, no problem. So it is NOT a requirement as HF will take your money no matter what your GPA or scores are!  [True. My son went to HF this past summer as a rising Junior and had no SAT or ACT test scores at the time, and so didn't report any (gave only his GPA and PSAT).] Plus your son (or a parent) submitting them is considered "self reporting."   HF does not have a minimum and does not verify any of the info, they merely pass it on so that some of their 100 coaches who care can weed out guys who they know are not academically qualified.    

When a school is seriously interested, they will do a "pre read" with admissions.  This is not the coach reviewing your son's info, it is the admissions dept. giving the coach info as to whether he should recruit your son based on official transcripts and scores, often submitted directly from your HS.  For HA D3 pre reads normally start occurring spring of junior year and throughout the summer. [My son is a Junior. We'll know more next summer!] It often takes a few days to a week or two depending upon the school, time and backlog.  If they do not do a pre read, your son is likely not one of their top recruits and will not receive admissions support.

Thanks.

Last edited by juergensen

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.