Skip to main content

I would appreciate any input on our particular situation, as follows:

Our son is a highly ranked 2009 player at a private D1 high school who played against and in the same league as a 2008 first round draft pick last season. He is being heavily recruited by the top D1 universities in our area.

Although he isn't ranked in the top 100 in the nation (yet, although he could move up), sources tell us he is known by all the pro teams and we have been getting a lot of pro team interest via letters, applications, scouts, phone calls, etc. This started when he was a freshman but has picked up more lately, for obvious reasons. It's pretty exciting to get letters in the mail from the pros asking but I don't know how much that really means.

We could choose to have him sign with a great local state college, where he could live at home and save money. Or we could sign him up with a prestigious $30,000/year well known college with a half or 3/4 scholarship and have to come up with the rest of the money (which could be a little tight).

Question is, if the pros are that interested in him, should we sign with a more exclusive college, knowing that he might go higher in the draft even though we'd get stuck with a big bill if he does go to that school, or sign with the affordable college? Our son likes them all and would be happy to play for any of them. The more affordable college might be easier, but the more prestigious college comes with its own particular rewards.

By all estimations, he is ready to begin AA ball right now and work his way up. Still, a college education is a great experience and will make him an even better player, we hope (but would it be better than AA ball?)

We are being pressured to sign an LOI now but I don't feel that that is in his best interests. It seems better to wait for the NLOI in November.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. And yes, we feel very blessed and honored to be in this position. As you all know, it came about as the result of a lot of hard work, commitment, and research. And we would not have done it if our son wasn't obviously gifted early on and been cooperative and coachable.

Thanks for any thoughts on this matter. These are big decisions to make coming up soon.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

2Fast,
I don't have any useful advice to offer, but perhaps some clarifying questions are in order. Frankly, some of what you've written here seems to me to not square up with some other parts. Probably you'll get better and more informed opinions if you expand a bit on these.

For example, the statement that the player is ready to immediately play at the AA level seems incompatible with a ranking (by PG Cross Checker?) outside the top 100 high school players. From my point of view, even if no college or JC players were involved in the draft, the number 100 player would be drafted in the 3rd round or lower, and when we take into account that more college players are drafted than high school players, the 100th best HS player will be at best drafted in rounds 6 through 10. Sure, the folks doing the drafting may hold a higher opinion of the player than PG, but it won't be much higher. I don't see how such a draft position presages a placement in AA ball.

The same conclusion can be reached by ignoring draft possibilities and simply considering the talent pool available to play AA ball. A player isn't just competing with other players who signed in the same year; he'll be competing with players signed over the past 5 or more years.

Or you could just look at some AA rosters and note how few players are one year removed from high school.

You mention that he is "being heavily recruited by the top D1 universities in our area", but seemingly there are just two offers under consideration. (Just two offers in August is a dilemma most players would love to have!Smile) Perhaps there will be other opportunities which may have adequate prestige and a lower financial expenditure?

Finally, are you expecting that if he signs with the more prestigous college, he'll have a higher draft postion next June, or after his junior year of college, or both? My own uniformed opinion is that it won't affect his draft position at all, although the financial worth of a college scholarship may affect the signing bonus out of high school. For a player drafted out of college, I think that the player's performance (which is likely affected by the "fit" of the player and college) over the next 3 years far outweighs any prestige effect.
Last edited by 3FingeredGlove
Separate the two!! I would not allow the pro draft to influence where my son went to college because where your son goes to college will have little (if any) impact on his professional career. Unless he chooses to go to a JUCO to remain pro eligible. You (and he of course) DO need to decide whether he will go pro or college out of high school very shortly.
quote:
By all estimations, he is ready to begin AA ball right now and work his way up. Still, a college education is a great experience and will make him an even better player, we hope (but would it be better than AA ball?)

How do you determine if a kid in high school is ready for AA ball? Can he ride a bus for too many hours, eat his breakfast out of a vending machine while reading a text message from his x-girlfriends new boyfriend, getting a visit from a catcher that can't speak english and still command four pitches while keeping his ERA low?

I doubt if your son is ready for AA ball. Just out of curiosity I ran the ages of the pitchers on our local AA team. I just guessed at your son being a pitcher.
Their ages were: 25, 29, 25, 26, 25, 25, 34, 22, 25, 31, 29, 28

The youngest player at 22 is Marwin Vega from Barranguilla, Columbia and is in his 5th year of pro ball. Hope this helps.
Fungo

PS:
quote:
Still, a college education is a great experience and will make him an even better player

A college education is MORE than a great experience AND may NOT make him a better ball player.
Last edited by Fungo
I have to chuckle about the AA comment. If your son feels pressured about committing to a school, wonder how he could handle the pressure of AA at 18. Teams DO NOT place their HS players in AA, most players, even first round picks, need to go through the system. My son's friend was a 4th overall pick out of college, at 22, almost 23 struggling in high A. In son's organization top prospect is 22 and in AAA, drafted out of HS he has been in the system for 3 years. I htink you need to understand how the system works, to come to conclusions.

You have been bitten by the pro draft bug, happens to everyone, however, do know that those scouts are doing their job by indentifing prospects early. There are a lot of things that can change in 10 months. FYI, my son was within the top 100 HS playwers in his class, yet projected, 7-10 rounds and he felt he really wanted to go to college first, knowing that things don't always work out. Things worked wel for him, going to school increaed his slot by making significant improvements as a player. But it doesn't happen like that all of the time.
His college choice, his scholarship amount and the desire to go to school first made him undraftable. If your son truely wants to begin a pro career before college, he should strongly indicate that. But do understand he will not begin his career in AA.
You've received some good advice, IMO, have your son choose a school where he feels is a good fit, and that may or may not be living home to save some money. The total college experience includes leaving home, learning to be on your own but never quarantees anything, as we all know that not anything is guaranteed in life.
It does however provide you with an education and some really great memories. Smile
It is a great dilemma to have, however, it shouldn't actuallu be a dilemma until you son is faced with being drafted, turning pro or going of to college. You'll enjoy a whole lot more this year if you take one step at a time, that would be at this time, accepting a college offer where he feels confortable.
Last edited by TPM
quote:

Some people have no idea how good you have to be to play AA ball........90 percent of all D1 players will not get the chance to play A ball.......much less AA

This has got to be a joke post........
If your Son is being followed by pro scouts now, then they will follow him where ever he chooses to attend college. A local college in Florida will probably have the identical scouts that are interested in him now follow him at the state college. If he heads off then the local scouts will pass his name off to whoever scouts that particular area of the country.

If the kid is good and he is currently being scouted, it will not change regardless of where he attends college. But if he is ready for MLB now then the JUCO route may suit him as well. Wink
Please throw out the AA comment I made. That shows how much I still do not know about this whole biz. He is playing summer league time with a team that has AA and AAA players or who have played AA and AAA, and is keeping up well with them, hitting HRs over 435' with a wooden bat, etc. on a regular basis. They think he's ready for pro ball, the coaching staff, etc.

But I threw that in not realizing what great controversy it would create. Some good posts, though.

There are four colleges offering LOIs right now, not two. But really isn't an LOI just a verbal commitment with nothing to back it up? It's the NLOI we want, right? The one that commits both player and college to each other.

I am concerned about paying the balance due on the more expensive colleges, but to get a degree from any of the three that aren't state colleges might look better on a future resume in a profession other than baseball.

Ultimately he would like to play pro ball and it looks like a strong possibility. The pros are asking us now if he wants to or not. It's hard to know what to say, of course it is our son saying it. Luckily he's not a blabbermouth and just says he is leaving all options open.

I'm not a troll. That's cute.

I love this board.
Your son is on a summer ball team with AA and AAA players? How do these players have time to play AA and AAA and on this team at the same time?

Your son is not a top 100 prospect but is ready for AA ball? LOL! A friend's son was a top 100, played three years in the SEC, was an All-American, drafted as a supp round one and is now playing rookie A ball. Not AA, Not High A, Not A. Rookie A.
My suggestion is to choose the school which fits his academic abilities, as well as, what school will provide the best avenue for his athletic development. It may be the school which has the best coaches that will help him develop his skills (I hear he is AA ability but everyone can learn) and provide the best competition available to challenge him to even get better and the visibility of playing against/with the best and succeeding.

Choosing the most expensive school if that fits will not matter if he can come out with it being a better athlete and possibly a better signing bonus, but you have to weigh the risk of having to pay the balance, although if he is that good, why not ask for more money.

On the other hand, if he does select a certain school, if drafted out of high school, most team will commit to pay for his college with specific conditions, so having a higher priced school could be an advantage in the over all compensation during the draft, but it also may play against you in a team may not want to pay the additional cost of a high priced school.

Some schools tend not to loose their signees; Stanford for example tends not to loose their signees due to the fact that it would take a lot to sign the player, even above the tuition cost.

If you think your son wants to go pro out of high school, you really need to make sure the teams understand your signability as it can hurt you if you go to a strong school and do not communicate your true intentions to the teams.

BTW one of the top pitchers, 1st round draft pick, out of the sunshine state that pitched 100 mph in HS is in MiLB A after two years…
Last edited by Homerun04
If there are 4 schools recruiting your son, don't decide based on prestige, how it might help with a draft bonus, or what might look good on a resume. Instead, assume that your son will go to college and decide on a school that has the best fit -- academically, financially, socially, baseball program, etc. Even if your son has excellent chances of being drafted high up out of high school, a lot could change between now and then. He could become injured or have a less-than-stellar season next spring, both of which could lower or virtually eliminate his draft potential. Should that happen, or should your son decide he wants to play college ball, you want to make sure that he is at the best possible school for him.
Fungo is right. Don't mix the decisions. The decision to turn pro won't be needed until next summer, at the very least and really shouldn't affect where your son chooses to attend college, which needs to be decided sooner.

I'm sure you and your son would like his parents to attend college games. Don't discount that expense in your decision making process. It ain't cheap following a college baseball team around.
Thank you for the words of wisdom. At every stage in this journey we have had to kind of feel our way around in the dark. There is very little information you can believe or count on. That's why I'm here on this board, but obviously my throwing in that AA stuff was sort of dumb. It shows how much I need real facts.

Our son isn't ranked in the top 100 but some people who should be ranked there are not, and some who shouldn't be there, are. We are understanding that there may be other factors involved. Our son had a stellar season last year, outperforming many on that list, but he was not ranked higher. Who knows why?
This season, barring injury, he ought to be amazing. He's gained an inch and ten pounds or more of pure muscle, played with amazing players and done well enough to attract college and pro attention at this level.

The thing about our son is that he is not his best at showcases. Where he really shines is playing in games. At these showcases you get ranked after sitting on a bench for hours and they say, "okay now, here's your ten minutes". Some guys get ranked that way, but our son had a different experience. He made all state, all this and all that, first team, etc. But because he doesn't always look great in that 10 minutes of showcase time, he isn't ranked higher. Or maybe not. I don't understand it.

But obviously somebody else is watching.

It's been an interesting journey. This year should be fantastic. He's gonna blow people away. Then maybe he'll get some attention from the people who "rank 'em." Or not.

I appreciate the info about colleges. Makes me think that there is one of the four that might be the best fit, although they'll be expensive. Maybe we can get a better offer or get some grant aid, etc. to pull it off.

Thanks again.
I accept your post at face value and assume you just didn't know about being ready for the "AA" level, as I imagine someone was blowing smoke in your ear when they said that. You do indeed have the "fever."

The real decision you have to make is whether your son should go pro now and bypass college. You have to determine if your son is ready AND whether it is the right choice for him to bypass an education that studies show is RARELY completed later. I know something about the sons of other posters here, and they are spot on in their advice on that subject.

After you make your decision, clearly communicate it to the pro scouts. To maximize your son't value, sign a NLI with the best "fit" - this will give you MUCH greater leverage in the draft.

Please consider that many Seniors SLUMP in their last year of high school because they have too much on their plate worrying about signing with a college, grades, leading their team, the draft, and prom.
quote:
Our son isn't ranked in the top 100 but some people who should be ranked there are not, and some who shouldn't be there, are. We are understanding that there may be other factors involved. Our son had a stellar season last year, outperforming many on that list, but he was not ranked higher. Who knows why?
This season, barring injury, he ought to be amazing. He's gained an inch and ten pounds or more of pure muscle, played with amazing players and done well enough to attract college and pro attention at this level.

The fact your son is ranked in the top whatever means he is well thought of. Rankings can change as the draft nears, but the only opinion that ultimately matters is the MLB scouting directors' opinions. They write the checks. If he wants to play pro baseball right now and forever, then do it. If he's not sure, then go to college.
quote:
Please throw out the AA comment I made. That shows how much I still do not know about this whole biz. He is playing summer league time with a team that has AA and AAA players or who have played AA and AAA,

Florida ranks its High Schools by the A system.....I believe up to 6A....I am expecting that the poster means 2A and 3A High school players and not AA and AAA professional players.......

Professional AA and AAA players are playing in the minor league season currently and would not be playing with HS students.........
Last edited by piaa_ump
quote:
Originally posted by Dad04:
The fact your son is ranked in the top whatever means he is well thought of. Rankings can change as the draft nears, but the only opinion that ultimately matters is the MLB scouting directors' opinions. They write the checks. If he wants to play pro baseball right now and forever, then do it. If he's not sure, then go to college.

You've posted a few posts regarding academic questions about someone you know. I am going to assume it is either you the parent or the player making inquiries. Most people don't come here asking those type of questions (regarding someone else). Roll Eyes

LOI and NLI can mean different things depending on where you are signing. A school may give you a letter stating that they have extended an offer for such and such so that there is no confusion the day you sign, which for D1 is Novemeber. If your son (or you) are that good, an advisor will find his way to your doorstep, they will help you with the process.

It doesn't matter who you have played and kept up with the draft is about an individual and his signability, his talent, his projection his position.

Not to repeat what has already been said, I am sure that you are aware of the MLB scholarship fund. Unless you are one of the top in the first round, in FL, no matter what the scholarship amount in or out of state, you will be given money according to what state tuition is (as in most states). For example, if you have a 100K scholarship and you fall in a 175K bonus range, they are not going to put aside 100K for your education unless tehy can't live without you. You might be able to ask them to find a few more dollars for your signing bonus, but not for your education. Strange as it sounds and I have said before, my son got more to finish one year from his team than some teams were willing to give out of HS. This was based on that fact that he needed x amount of dollars, to earn his degree where he began, which was out of state.
If college money is a concern and how you are going to pay for it, pro ball may be the players best interest. There is a lot more than college tuition that is invloved, travel, spending money, off campus housing after freshman year, etc. Unless teh player is a pitcher, with new restraints on scholarships and money available, I would be shocked if more was offered was given.

You definetly have the fever, might say well over 100 degrees. Best of luck, let us know how things work out in june, by that time you may have done a 360.

pia,
I tend to agree with what you are stating. 2A and 3A maybe misundersttod for AA or AAA.
Last edited by TPM
quote:
Originally posted by TPM:

Not to repeat what has already been said, I am sure that you are aware of the MLB scholarship fund. Unless you are one of the top in the first round, in FL, no matter what the scholarship amount in or out of state, you will be given money according to what state tuition is (as in most states). For example, if you have a 100K scholarship and you fall in a 175K bonus range, they are not going to put aside 100K for your education unless tehy can't live without you. You might be able to ask them to find a few more dollars for your signing bonus, but not for your education. Strange as it sounds and I have said before, my son got more to finish one year from his team than some teams were willing to give out of HS. This was based on that fact that he needed x amount of dollars, to earn his degree where he began, which was out of state.

Oh maybe I need to stop giving options, but I thought if the HS player is committed to a $45,000 school, he would negotiate college into his signing contract, it would be published that he may have gotten $450,000 signing bonus, but they would get the $180,000 in addition (vs say $72,000 for a state school) set aside in a fund for him when he stops playing (with several clauses). Most of the time the players would not take them up on it, but it would be there for a period of time.

It would also be similar for a Jr. in college, if they get drafted and they sign, they would negotiate to get their last year of school so they could get their degree from what ever school they attended or at least the normal cost of that school.
Last edited by Homerun04
Good reply, thank you. What do you mean by the fever? I am trying to amass the facts during what is a short decision making time frame. We are trying to figure out what is best for our son, taking all things into consideration.

When you say "fever" is that meant to be negative? If so, what else would you suggest? If we don't try to weigh in all factors at this point we may miss out on what could be his best opportunity. We're still not sure what that is, at this point.

Up until the last couple of months, we have just enjoyed his baseball success as a family and have tried not to lord it over other parents and players. Our son is a normal, humble guy with interests in many things besides baseball - girls and friends mostly.

I just see this period of the next year or so as an intense experience in which we have to try to understand the ins and outs of all of this.

For instance, I would like someone to explain to me what advantage a Letter of Intent is to an athlete? It seems to me that the advantage is all for the college since they aren't really committing anything. The National Letter of Intent looks a whole lot better. You have a commitment, you have a deal. Until you sign the NLOI what do you really have? If I am mistaken, I would like to be corrected.

Another question I have is, what is the advantage of the athlete living in a dorm room vs at home? Here at home we are still helping him out during his development. We can still make his juices and protein drinks and cheer him on. When he goes away who is watching out for him? Frat parties, girls who see money coming his way, other athletes who want to take his spot? He likes living at home. He will get plenty of time to run around with the other coyotes when and if he gets to the pros.

A crystal ball would be most helpful right about now.

I am enjoying your posts, all of you, even those of you who think I'm making some of this up (why would I do that - is what I'm describing that farfetched?).

I like to do research. It is good to get the facts and the knowledge. Where else can you get it but by asking questions? If that is fever, the world needs more of it.
Sorry there, folks. Got a little intense. I'm just looking for info. When this is all over and we've signed and he's ready to go somewhere next fall, be it a college or a pro traveling team, I'll let you all know what we worked out.

Thanks for all your info. I mostly lurk on these boards and they have been a wealth of great information. I really appreciate it.

Best wishes to all.
2Fast,

I think you are asking good questions, and I'm glad you have taken the questions asked back to you in a positive light. Folks are just trying to make sure that the original post is sincere, since once in a while a new poster makes up some pie-in-the-sky posts to get attention, but wastes the time of caring long-time members like those who have posted here. I don't think that's the case with you.

You have been given great advice above and I hope it helps and that you do share your observations from your son's journey in the coming year!

Julie
Last edited by MN-Mom
Thanks Julie. I'm the player's Mom and my husband prefers we keep our plans mum since they are in flux. We don't want to make any firm plans yet since there are so many options. Otherwise I'd love to shout my kid's name from the rooftops - we're very proud of his achievements.

It was a little confusing to have people question my sincerity since to me our situation seems normal. However, the other day, I did have a heads up. At lunch with a few friends one mom asked me how you go about getting an athletic scholarship for your child and I had to admit that I did not have a clue. There was nothing I could tell her since for our son it has always been a given.

Perhaps we are living in a bit of a fishbowl.
quote:
Originally posted by 2Fast:

It's been an interesting journey. This year should be fantastic. He's gonna blow people away. Then maybe he'll get some attention from the people who "rank 'em." Or not.

Unfortunetly this statment may have pushed some buttons. Also, obviously the remarks regarding being able to play AA. This is a very good time to do your homework, one book I suggest, Inside Pitch by George Gmelch, try Amazon or ebay.

This is a very exciting time. College coaches calling and giving offers, scouts watching, agents and advisors coming around. It's exciting and you begin to think, wow, maybe he can play beyond college, that's what I meant about catching teh fever. Your son is very fortunate and must be talented. However, do understand that this same dilemma happens every year for many. The best way to handle it is to take one step at a time. College decision first. Then your son can concentrate on his senior season and possibly proball options. Make sure your son makes a smart choice regarding school, because many things can happen between now and June, which may leave him with no option.

There are quite a few parents here of HS players who's players were listed in their senior year as top 30 prospects. Mega attention, but, when it's all said and done, and the dust settles, most off to college.

As far as living at home, that's ok, but I suggest not to send him off to play professional ball after HS for the reasons you give to live at home. Eek At school, although on their own, coaches look after them, that's part of their job and make strict rules. In proball, NO ONE is watching over your son, everyone is out to take your spot, it isn't just a college thing. Besides, it's time for him to learn how to make own protein shakes, learn to live with others, do his own laundry and learn to be responsible on his own. It does help them to prepare for adulthood. Smile
Posted August 11, 2008 01:01 PM Hide Post
Please throw out the AA comment I made. That shows how much I still do not know about this whole biz. He is playing summer league time with a team that has AA and AAA players or who have played AA and AAA, and is keeping up well with them, hitting HRs over 435' with a wooden bat, etc. on a regular basis. They think he's ready for pro ball, the coaching staff, etc.

All I can say is if this kid is hitting like this, he is not only a horse, he MUST be a Clydesdale... My son is 6'2" 235 and has hit a couple of 420's with metal bat, but regular 435's with wood? My god..
People at HS games really don't have a good way to measure how far a home run goes - and the field measurements (e.g. what is written on the wall) is not always terribly accurate). Odds are that the original poster is being misinformed by what others are saying as well as the lack of visual clues.

Having said that, 435 is a monster shot. As a means of showing just how far that is, I just went to hit-tracker.com which does do a good job of measuring home runs hit in the major leagues (really neat site).

Taking the average of the 31 homeruns hit on 8/10 (the last day for complete MLB data), the average major league homerun that day was 390 feet. Only 2 of the 31 HRs went more than 435 feet.

This has been an interesting thread to me. I'm finding reading this board can often be far more enjoyable than posting on it. Big Grin

I think some of the questions asked here are in a lot of HS parents heads. Most are afraid to spit them out. For college or pro parents, don't you remember a summer or HS coach telling you that your son would play pro ball someday? That he had "AAA stuff?" Or that he could hit AA pitching right now? And you wanted to believe it? Might have told your aunt/uncle/grandmother about your wonder-child?

So if I think back to the kinds of questions swirling in my head at the same point in my son's baseball journey...I'm not too sure that many of them didn't have similar slants to them as 2Fast.

In fact, as my son is 2 months into his pro career, I often stop typing on my keyboard about things I've heard or seen or think...realizing that my enthusiasm may be a little naive at this time and yes, a little beyond reality. Wink

I feel I've only learned to 'hold back' through realizing how many times I was a little too excited too fast through his HS and college careers.

2Fast - I think your questions are pretty normal for the point you are at in your son's journey. From my point of view, go back and re-read Fungo's post about 20 times and think about it for an hour or two in between each read. Separate the two decisions, think about the reality of minor league baseball (lots of good, but its a tough life early on) and read this particular line 100 times (its a gem!):

quote:
A college education is MORE than a great experience AND may NOT make him a better ball player.

Good luck! clapping
Last edited by justbaseball
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Kremer:
The same thing caught my eye, equipman. 400 foot shots by HS'ers with matal bats are rare enough. Not unheard of, for sure. I saw three or four this year.

"Regulary" hitting 435 foot bombs with wood? I question the credibility.
I can't remember the big stick's name, but I watched a UNCW kid hit a moonshot with a metal bat 435 feet. There was only one problem other than getting under it. It's 436 to center at Northeastern. F8.
It is now day 2 and I am kind of wishing I hadn't started this thread on day 1. But I am glad to have been the source of amusement for some of the readers here.

For those of you who have been around the block a time or two it must seem to you that I have been blowing this all out of proportion. According to the odds, our son has a better chance of working at Burger King than playing major league ball.

But just in case, what I'd really like to do is to talk to someone and get all my questions answered in one good chat session. Or perhaps there is a book that spells all of this out (although I've read some of those that are recommended and still have questions).

So please help me with one last thing:

If I call up one of the agents who have contacted us and talk to him, does that mean he is now our "advisor" and are we in any danger of being accused of having an agent and therefore no longer amateur? Will the advisor want a cut of his signing bonus because I talked to him?

Thanks and have a wonderful, spectacular day!
quote:
Make sure your son makes a smart choice regarding school, because many things can happen between now and June......

Very true TPM.

2Fast,....I understand that you are trying to get help. The best bit of advice I can give, is to slow down just a bit. You say that your son is being recruited by top DI's. How has that process gone so far? Has he had offers,..offficial ones? Has he had official visits? If so,....what did your son think?

quote:
what I'd really like to do is to talk to someone and get all my questions answered in one good chat session.

There are too many variables for all of your questions to be answered in one chat session.
Lets slow things down a little and go one by one.

Its a loooong ways to the draft and alot can happen between now and then. Lets take each step logically in the process.

Perhaps we should stay focused on what might be in your control at this point....like the accepting or declining of college offers. How is all of that going???
Last edited by shortstopmom
2FAst: What you have to understand about this forum is that you don't have to sell your son to us...Initially you came on with his resume and all of the things that he supposedly is, you don't have to tell everyone that to get sound advice here..If you had just stated that he is a very good ballplayer and a 2009 that was being looked at by the pro's as well as D1 schools, you would have been given alot of good advice. I have used this forum for just that when I first joined earlier this year when my son wasn't being played on his HS team and was truly one of the best and most dedicated players on the team. He wanted to quit the Hs team and just play the summer ball. I was given very good advice from everyone and now he is working very hard to prove to his HS coach that he deserves to be playing next year. If he still doesn't play, He can rest assured that he has impressed many of his HS coaches rival coaches. He had the chance to play for a couple of them this summer on their teams and all of them said that he could use them as references for any interested college coaches. So, I think if you learn anything from all of the responses, is to be a little more humble in what you say initially. Like a coach once told my son,"When you hit a home run, run around the bases like you've done it before"
2Fast,...dont get discouraged. Your son has to be the one to make his decision as to where he would feel most comfortable playing.

Your family has to decide together what is most financially feesible.

If the Pros are interested they will follow him where ever he goes. Pros do not just recruit from DI schools.
Remember, if your son signs with a 4 year DI/DII college, he can not be draft eligible until after his Junior year of college ball.

I know this process can be exciting and overwhelming at times.....ya just have to take everything in stride.

Fungos words are good words to listen to:
quote:
Separate the two!! I would not allow the pro draft to influence where my son went to college because where your son goes to college will have little (if any) impact on his professional career.

Prestige means nothing if one does not feel comfortable. Being able to make a solid contribution at any level is where I think true satisfaction comes from.

Listen to what your son is saying,..and especially to what he's not saying. The players themselves usually have a strong gut feeling as to what is their best path to take.
quote:

If I call up one of the agents who have contacted us and talk to him, does that mean he is now our "advisor" and are we in any danger of being accused of having an agent and therefore no longer amateur? Will the advisor want a cut of his signing bonus because I talked to him?

Thanks and have a wonderful, spectacular day!

An advisor is just that, an advisor. By speaking to one does not necessarily mean you are committed to them to become your "agent" down the road.

As things progress your son may decide that if lightning does strike and he accepts a pro offer, the advisor you have been talking to can become his agent once you sign a pro contract.

The obvious thing here is to make sure you protect your son's amateur status. Do not sign anything with an agent until you son signs a pro contract.
2Fast,

Don't slink away & welcome to the HSBW message boards! There are lots of good people here with experience and knowledge that will help you with your recruiting process.

There are lots of good threads on Going Pro vs. College - always a strong topic of conversation on this board. You can do a search for past threads at the top of the page under "find". You can do a search on advisors also.

Also, the ladies forum is always a little more relaxed if you want to join us in there.

Good luck and hang in there!
quote:
I get it now. I started out all wrong so I feel like I should just slink away and let you all get on with watching the Olympics.

This is just a community like your very own neighborhood 2Fast. If someone were the wealthiest one in the neighborhood, I doubt they would run around the block telling people that. They would just continue driving their Mercedes and be thankful for that situation I am guessing. Please note that a true dilemma is when nobody is calling your house or asking you to fill out a card. It almost feels like Brad Pitt's parents complaining that since he is so good looking, it is difficult to figure out which screen role to pick next. Basically, it is a nice problem to have.

Figuring out how to handle all the agents, pro scouts, and college recruiters that are calling your phone off the hook is quite managable. There is no linkage between the draft and college signing. The way to handle that "problem" is find the college you can afford and that your son would be happy with and sign a letter of intent in November to play with them. Make preperations as if he will be going to college since no one can ever guarantee he nwill be drafted (get good grades, do well on SAT). Tell all the pro scouts that you are open to signing a pro contract and want to be treated fairly. You have no decision to make there until he is drafted next June. If he is drafted, and he receives a monetary offer, he can decide then (next June) whether or not to turn pro. He is not bound by the NLI in anyway if he decides to turn pro. As long as he does not sign an agreement for the advisor to be his agent, then the advisor will remain just that. Most player/advisor relationships carry the implicit understanding that the advisor will become the agent someday. Pick someone who you are comforatable with and someone whose credentials can be verified. One way is to have them give you a list of their clients and talk to them. Also, you ought to be able to check their reputations online as well. Hope that helps.
SSmom quote:
quote:
There are too many variables for all of your questions to be answered in one chat session.

ClevelandDad quote:
quote:
Figuring out how to handle all the agents, pro scouts, and college recruiters that are calling your phone off the hook is quite managable. There is no linkage between the draft and college signing. The way to handle that "problem" is find the college you can afford and that your son would be happy with and sign a letter of intent in November to play with them. Make preperations as if he will be going to college since no one can ever guarantee he nwill be drafted (get good grades, do well on SAT). Tell all the pro scouts that you are open to signing a pro contract and want to be treated fairly. You have no decision to make there until he is drafted next June. If he is drafted, and he receives a monetary offer, he can decide then (next June) whether or not to turn pro. He is not bound by the NLI in anyway if he decides to turn pro. As long as he does not sign an agreement for the advisor to be his agent, then the advisor will remain just that. Most player/advisor relationships carry the implicit understanding that the advisor will become the agent someday. Pick someone who you are comforatable with and someone whose credentials can be verified. One way is to have them give you a list of their clients and talk to them. Also, you ought to be able to check their reputations online as well. Hope that helps.

..... I was wrong. ClevelandDad did a darn good job of answering alot of your questions, I think! Smile
The only amateurism issue to worry about is the NCAA, and their rules need to be followed closely.

Go to NCAA Rules page and download the NCAA D1 amnual. Go to page 68, Rule 12.3 and read it carefully. You'll find that you or the player may not enter into a written or verbal agreement with an advisor that would compensate the advisor now or later. Furthermore, don't accept even a free dinner from an agent.

ClevelandDad is correct; there is an implicit understanding that the advisor may benefit later, but you need to keep that implicit. Also, a player sometimes begins a relationship with an advisor, but later realizes that the fit between advisor and player isn't good. It's OK to change advisors at that point (but changing a few days before signing a pro contract would be "dirty pool", although clearly legal, because there was no written or verbal agreement). A player should strive to find an advisor that he also would be happy with as an agent.

As others have said, your player doesn't have any decisions to make right now concerning the draft or pro possibilities. He does need to decide on a college choice. Bear in mind that if he enters a 4 year school, he'll need to have finished his junior year, or have turned 21, or have formally petitioned MLB in order to be eligible for the draft. Some people decide (quite wrongly, in my opinion) to go the JC route in order to preserve the possibility of being drafted earlier.

Regarding "being bitten by the draft bug" or "the fever": You probably can't see it now, but the tone of your posts strongly suggest that you are currently on an emotional high about your son's future. It's very understandable, given all the buzz and attention your son is receiving. But please don't let the possibility that your son may get to play pro ball distract you from making a careful decision on college.
Last edited by 3FingeredGlove
Good posts. I have learned a lot here. I did not consider how this board is like a community. I apologize. It's just that I haven't really been able to talk about this to other people. Can't talk about it to other parents on our team, or to friends who would just think I was a = moderated=.

I thought maybe I could talk about it here. It has been a good experience overall. I tend to get interested in certain subjects and research the heck out of them, then when that season is over I move on to the next topic. Hence my intense interest in this particular field right now. I thought by giving the info up front I would get mostly facts, but it seems I touched a few nerves.

When it's all said and done, I really love the quote I keep seeing around these boards, something about being humble or about to be humbled.

Our son is a lot more relaxed about this than I am. I'll just take it like he does and let him indicate what his preferences are in the matter.

Thanks y'all.
quote:
but it seems I touched a few nerves.

I doubt you aggravated any nerves, but you need to be careful making claims such as "hitting HRs over 435' with a wooden bat, etc. on a regular basis."

I could be wrong but I would bet that statement is either a wild exageration or simply a innacurate description of the actual events.

Anyway, if he is getting the attention you say than you have recieved some very good advice.
quote:
Originally posted by Homerun04:
quote:
Originally posted by TPM:

Oh maybe I need to stop giving options, but I thought if the HS player is committed to a $45,000 school, he would negotiate college into his signing contract, it would be published that he may have gotten $450,000 signing bonus, but they would get the $180,000 in addition (vs say $72,000 for a state school) set aside in a fund for him when he stops playing (with several clauses). Most of the time the players would not take them up on it, but it would be there for a period of time.

It would also be similar for a Jr. in college, if they get drafted and they sign, they would negotiate to get their last year of school so they could get their degree from what ever school they attended or at least the normal cost of that school.

All teams negotiate differently. If your son receives a scholarship that is worth alot from out of state, the amount of $$ set aside in the scholarhip fund most likely will be negotiated for in state tuition for the state he resides in at time of signing(he doesn't now HAVE to attend that school out of state). Living expenses (room and board) may or may not be covered. The signing bonus you see published is just that, the signing bonus, the scholarship amount is negotiate seperately under an addendum to the milb contract. You can ASK for that money in bonus, but most likely it will not be included as it is becomes taxable. The scholarship amount given to son was based on only finishing his degree out of state.
It also can just be based on the year your son is drafted, and remember college costs are increasing.
Also, a scout visiting your home many or may not give you a copy of the plan as there are a lot of stipulations in it, has to be read over carefully by the player and family.
As I stated all teams do things differently, but, IMO, they do not want to put more money in the fund then they have to. Our state tuition is relatively inexpensive compared to many states, so the amount for average tuition was far less than than son's out of state committment for 4 years, far less than they were wiling to give in HS.
In order to be more accurate, I asked my husband to clarify the distance our son has been hitting with a wooden bat. He is apparently averaging 390, has hit 425 (not 435 as I enthused earlier). He was hitting over 400 with an aluminum bat this past junior year season and is increasing his distance and power over time.

We were told he needs to use his legs more, that he is swinging too much with his upper body. We all think that is good advice.

Maybe our son's abilities are turning my head a bit and he is becoming a legend in my own mind. I do like this board and will try to calm down and be more low key. Thought you'd like clarification on the distance. If I say something here, I'd better have my facts straight. :-)
2fast, welcome to the message board. There is alot of information here and answers to your Q's. The newness of a players adventure is fun and exciting. Player prospects emerge quickly every year. You can be honest here. Plenty of folks here have been in similar situations and actually want to help those that follow.

Plenty of folks have experience in recruting and the pro/college decisions. What you will get here is perspective from an objective, experienced point of view. It's ok to be excited. Good luck.
2Fast:
I think you will find that the people here are very willing to be helpful to you as you go down this path with your son.

You don't have to convince anyone here that he is good. Your first posts were so over the top in that regard that I honestly belived you were a troll trying to bait people here into reacting.

A general observation about this place I have made over the years is that the parents of the most accomplished kids talk the least about their kids' abilities. In any case, it is irrelevant. People are willing to help if you son were struggling to make varsity just as they would be if he were a probable first rounder.

So chill a bit and join this community. I am sure you will be welcomed.
What is happening with our son is the most exciting thing that has ever happened to me. Who can you talk to when things are so "over the top"? Obviously I can't talk to other baseball parents. Most of the people I know are having difficulties so how can I share such good news with them?

If I were to give my son's name and info here than I couldn't be honest. The only way I could possibly be honest is not to tell. That's what attracted me to this board - that I could share what's happening to us and not be judged or compared or disbelieved or envied.

So I started out wrong, making it sound too good to be true. But it's for real. It is almost too good to be true. Being a successful athlete must, I now realize, be very isolating. You are living in another kind of world where people view you differently.

When I go to my son's games, everything I say is noticed, if I'm pacing during a game people comment on it. Next year, when he's a senior, who can I trust? Which player's parent is going to be my friend and not wish it was their son out there doing it instead of mine? Not many.

Maybe I need counseling. Perhaps the only place I can go where I don't come off like I'm bragging is with someone completely impartial. I made the mistake of thinking this board could be that for me. So I probably won't post again.

Best wishes to all. Thanks for all the info and the help. I'll probably keep lurking and reading. It is still a very helpful place to come to and there are some excellent posts, articles, and interviews.
2Fast, I (and several others) took every one of your posts at face value. Don't let a few skeptical people succeed in running you off. I can understand your desire to celebrate your son's achievements on this message board. You are right -- there are very few with whom you can do that, apart from relatives. And even though relatives may be happy for you, unless they are true baseball fans, they don't have a clue what you or your son are going through or achieving. Please post again whenever you have a question. There are many here on HSBBW who are more than happy to celebrate with you, answer your questions, and give you advice. Best wishes to you and your son!
2fast,

why wouldnt you post? when you have a talented player there is alwasy jealousy esp. at the hs level when there usually arent that many good players on one team.
I think you just need to not woory about it, you really dont need to say anything at the HS games sit and watch and cheer on the team.
The success your son has and looks he get will happen if hes that good. sometimes when a player is really good not much needs to be said.
2Fast,
Our son is close to the end of his baseball career but hoping it continues as a coach.
Maybe I can bring some "reality" to your situation through the things he has taught me.
The two most important aspects of baseball, for a player or their parent, include the recognition that what you did yesterday isn't a reflection of tomorrow. Baseball is a game played in the future. During the transition out of high school, for the first time, your son, whether he goes to college or is drafted and signs professionally, will be competing on a field where everyone is of near equal ability, some will be better.
The other important aspect to remember is baseball is a game of failure. As you progress past high school, at some point, your son is very likely to fail. Nearly every player does. When they confront that situation, their mental, not physical ability will provide the guidance between future success and failure.
In this corner, I have no real problem with your celebration of the successes. It sounds like it is earning your son a lot of looks at where he might progress.
But baseball beyond high school is a lot like investing. Past performance isn't any guarantee of future success. Your son is rapidly approaching the point where what he does tomorrow is far more important that what he did yesterday.
Good luck to each of you. In some ways, your "jobs" overlap. In many ways they will not. On this board you are going to find a lot of very helpful information to know where the separation exists.
Last edited by infielddad
2Fast,
Keeping everything in perspective is key. I hope you will use the good advice that you've gotten here so far, to your son's benefit and for yours as well. You are not the first parent going through the recruiting process who thinks he/she might need counseling Big Grin, nor will you be the last!

There are many many good players out there, and at every level the competition gets harder. Ability will speak for itself.

Sometimes, one of the best things we can do as a parent is to take a small step back, observe, and watch things unfold. Doesnt mean we shouldn't educate ourselves about the process, and be well informed,...but perhaps a calm perspective will allow the dust to settle and the right path for the future will reveal itself.
That is good advice. I think I'll watch and see what happens. I've let some of my hobbies go lately that kept things in perspective - time to take them up again so baseball doesn't take over my world.

I'll have to go onto the women's board and ask for advice about scrapbooking. I'd like to make something special for these high school years that our son can keep and enjoy.
2Fast,

I appreciate that you have been open and vulnerable with your responses here. Although it may have been painful to read a few of the more blunt posts in this thread, there are so many really informative and helpful posts here. And you have also been instrumental in another very important purpose of this site:

Initiating "interesting" discussions like this one that answer questions for parents who are too scared to post about their sons' situations!

As long as you survived this discussion, hey, the rest of our little "getting to know each other" dance will be a piece of cake. Stay, post, read, laugh, cry... Stick around, and a year or two from now, you could read this thread again and understand exactly where some of the responses are coming from.

The posts in this thread...some very kind and concerned, some a bit rougher...pretty much sum up what parents learn during this exciting time you are entering now...college recruiting and the baseball draft. Many very good posts, and I'd like to repeat part of one, from justbaseball:

"I think some of the questions asked here are in a lot of HS parents heads. Most are afraid to spit them out. For college or pro parents, don't you remember a summer or HS coach telling you that your son would play pro ball someday? That he had "AAA stuff?" Or that he could hit AA pitching right now? And you wanted to believe it? Might have told your aunt/uncle/grandmother about your wonder-child?"

"So if I think back to the kinds of questions swirling in my head at the same point in my son's baseball journey...I'm not too sure that many of them didn't have similar slants to them as 2Fast."

"In fact, as my son is 2 months into his pro career, I often stop typing on my keyboard about things I've heard or seen or think...realizing that my enthusiasm may be a little naive at this time and yes, a little beyond reality."

"I feel I've only learned to 'hold back' through realizing how many times I was a little too excited too fast through his HS and college careers."

"2Fast - I think your questions are pretty normal for the point you are at in your son's journey. From my point of view, go back and re-read Fungo's post about 20 times and think about it for an hour or two in between each read."

Thank you, justbaseball!

Julie
I went back and read my first post and I still don't understand what I said --- Big Grin

2fast maybe I can help you appreciate understand the exchange of information on the HSBBW and how you can use that exchange to your advantage.

First you have to understand where YOU yourself are coming from and where YOU want to go. Once you understand yourself then you will begin to understand everyone else on the HSBBW because we are all here for basically the same reason. Most parents here have a son that plays pretty good baseball --- some currently do, some used to, and some will later on. We are all proud of our sons. We all like to read newspaper clippings, polish trophies, and look at pictures. ---- of our sons. Most of these parents (me included) are guilty of wearing rose colored glasses at times. In other words we see our sons differently than the rest of the world sees them. I think that is necessary to keep us from abandoning them on a deserted highway. Big Grin The mistake most of us make (some more frequently than others) is assuming that everyone else sees our son as we do --- that normally doesn't happen unless you have a non-baseball relationship with that "other" person. Grandparents automatically qualify! I have to remember that each time I start a post or respond to a post. We have to keep our "proudness" in check in order to have a productive two way conversation about our sons.

For instance, when you posted your son hit a 435 ft. shot the first thing I do is go to my son's college website archives and re-read the article that describes in detail the 450 ft. shot he hit against the University of Tennessee in 2004. ---- Luckily my son's was farther and I was not relegated to second place and I could be objective in our exchange. Big Grin

HSBBW "conversations" are quite different and more productive that the conversations you might have with the other parents sitting in the stands beside you. First your son isn't directly competing with with other Websters' sons here on the HSBBW. No one is threatened by your son's accomplishments unless you or me make an VERY obvious attempt to push them to the front of the conversation and make "accomplishments" the primary focus of the post. Plus internet conversations lack emotions and body language thus making less of an impact and making the exchange more factual rather than emotional.

There is a world of information here for you and your son's benefit. I KNOW it will be helpful because we are so alike in many ways. We all have (or had) the same concerns -- the same obstacles --- and the same goals --- we've shared the same joys and the same pains. We will disagree many times but the things we disagree on actually produce the most information. I suggest you share your son's name at some point so he can be added to the "where they are" list Side bar. This allows us to follow your son and allows ALL of us to toot his horn. From experience I know a band of horns sounds much better than one out of tune solo.
Fungo
Last edited by Fungo
quote:
For instance, when you posted your son hit a 435 ft. shot the first thing I do is go to my son's college website archives and re-read the article that describes in detail the 450 ft. shot he hit against the University of Tennessee in 2004. ---- Luckily my son's was farther and I was not relegated to second place and I could be objective in our exchange. Big Grin

Always important to remain objective! Big Grin

2Fast - I see great promise in you remaining a member here. I was a little skeptical like Rob initially but you have since won me over with your reasoned responses. Even then, some still piled on but you have shown fine qualities in response thereto. Welcome to the hsbbweb Smile These are exciting times and we are excited for you.
2fast
You should definitly stay around. It sounds like you have baseball on the brain, we all do, thats why were here. A lot of parents on this board have phenominal baseball players and it will help you to stay grounded.

One of the first things I learned from coming to this site was to try to stay balanced the best you can. When things are going great and your on cloud nine keep in mind that tommorrow he could have a very bad game, or get injured etcc. Same goes when things are going horrible, don't get too down, there will be better or great times are ahead.
I'm glad I didn't read this thread earlier; heaven (and a few posters around here Wink) knows what I would have said!

2Fast, every once in a while (and we have had several recently) people come on to post just to stir things up. Because of those recent posts, your initial post was viewed more skeptically than it would have been at another time. But that's been cleared up, so hang around and get addicted like the rest of us!

As Fungo has said, without context, tone of voice, or body language, we all have only words to respond to. So when you refer to D1 hs, AAA players playing in summer leagues and the like, your words will be parsed. And the reality is that Moms aren't always taken any too seriously by coaches, advisors, or scouts. You'll want to learn the jargon and the ropes so that any discussions you particpate in with those people will be of benefit to your son. And there's no better place to learn than right here. Anything your son is going through, someone's son here is or has gone through as well.

After reading and asking questions, you'll gain more perspective. As you say, this isn't stuff you can talk about with too many people. Over the years on this board we've had guys come out of nowhere to make a major impact, guys making a splash at Omaha, and top round guys in the draft. We've also had families who were told by scouts they were X team's #1 choice at Y position who then were not drafted at all, and guys who 'understood' they were walking into a starting position at college who road the pine. And guys with injuries, guys going through ops, guys playing their last game at a number of levels.

The validity of what you're told is dependant on the speaker. When it comes to the pro's, for example, if you're not talking to the GM (maybe the VP of Player Development), you'd have to be intimately familiar with the speaker's position in the organization (regional, crosschecker, etc) AND how much juice the guy's got with the front office before you can take those words to heart.

There are so many things to consider pro v college if your son has that choice. If he has the pro's in his eyes right now, consider one dose of reality: first rounders through NDFA, a current minor league ballplayer has a 5% chance of seeing one day in the majors. 3% will have a career.

Your son has to take care of business in the classroom and on the field. You can help immeasurably by keeping him focused and balanced. And doing some research to help him to know all his options.

Don't forget to have fun!
quote:
Originally posted by Fungo via ClevelandDad:
[QUOTE]For instance, when you posted your son hit a 435 ft. shot the first thing I do is go to my son's college website archives and re-read the article that describes in detail the 450 ft. shot he hit against the University of Tennessee in 2004. ---- Luckily my son's was farther and I was not relegated to second place and I could be objective in our exchange. Big Grin

Always important to remain objective! Big GrinQUOTE]

450 would be 2nd place.... Wink

You would think a kid with this much talent, especially in the State of Florida where a disproportionate number of scouts hang out, would have more exposure publicly? That was my question.
Last edited by OLDSLUGGER8
quote:
In order to be more accurate, I asked my husband to clarify the distance our son has been hitting with a wooden bat. He is apparently averaging 390, has hit 425 (not 435 as I enthused earlier). He was hitting over 400 with an aluminum bat this past junior year season and is increasing his distance and power over time.

2Fast, I'll admit that I was skeptical, but when I saw this, well, I know of a 2009 who can do this. 2B played behind him in a couple of tournaments last fall, so he and I both saw it with our own eyes. He is a phenomenal natural hitter. He is also very, very fast, and I'm sure he is getting a lot of attention. From what I know, he has good people around him and a bright future. I don't think it's your son because some things in your description don't match up with this player. But just wanted to vouch for the fact that these guys are out there. Just in case, PM me if we are talking about the same player. Smile

We all get excited about our players. I had to learn to tone it down, too (I'm not always successful!). But you have gotten some very good advice.
Last edited by 2Bmom
quote:
You would think a kid with this much talent, especially in the State of Florida where a disproportionate number of scouts hang out, would have more exposure publicly? That was my question.

Scouts don't post here much. Florida is a big state with lots of ball players. It could one of several kids. You can go to one of several summer tournaments and see 400 foot bombs all...day...long. I've seen several balls go over batters eyes in summer games.
Last edited by Dad04
I understand what Dad04 means.
My son's friend was a masher, when it went over the fence it was in the next county. He broke county records one year. He also had a rocket for an arm. Not a lot of scout interest as a senior (and there were plenty of scouts at many games). He didn't play his position well and he got slow, and he developed a man's body by 18.

You see that often here. Think about the first round position players drafted here from Florida. Eric Hosmer, Yonder Alonso, Jemile Weeks, Buster Posey. That's the type of player that you have to be to get mega attention here in Florida and play against the best competition (in HS and college). Actually, that's the type of player you have to be anywhere to be considered a very top prospect.

Scouts are everywhere in FL, they notice everyone, but because you get lots of attention, doesn't mean you are a top prospect.

Which brings up another point, all scouts see different things in different players. Some scouts are better than others at their job. The scout is also a salesman, he has to sell you to his boss and his boss to his boss. If you find a scout who really beleives that you are special, different, you are in luck and you will go far.
Last edited by TPM
quote:
Show me some PG, BA, and other top Florida players lists. That would be a start. Every player with extraordinary abilities have a book on them.

The player I'm talking about is on the 2008 PG national showcase list. I heard he opened some eyes with his time in the 60 at the Metrodome. There is most definitely a book on him.
quote:
Originally posted by OLDSLUGGER8:
I don't care if scouts post here. Show me some PG, BA, and other top Florida players lists. That would be a start. Every player with extraordinary abilities have a book on them.

Show the book.

There have been literally hundreds of Florida high school position players with power, drafted in the past several years who hit the c r ap out of the ball. A bunch of them are in the big leagues or close to it. It's not my fault you are in a part of the world where that doesn't happen. I'm not going to waste my time naming them. Go to PG Crosschecker. Pay some Money and you can get the list of Who's Who.
Last edited by Dad04
To 2Fast,

While there is a lot of good advice in these exchanges, there are also a lot of crusty, old, pseudo-experts who take personal pleasure in "beat-downs" of new participants. Don't fall for their bait; that's what they enjoy most. BTW, there's not a rocket scientist in the whole bunch. These characters weren't born with their omniscience -- they learned it -- most likely from people with better manners. I am glad they share their knowledge and most of it is solid, fact-based info. Just pick the advice you find helpful and ignore the rest. You are welcome to this playground and should be encouraged to ask questions.

BTW, I revealed the UGA overrecruiting problem in March and was verbally assaulted with a lot of negative comments -- many of them didn't make a whit of sense. (Now it has become a topic again -- this time with even more info documenting the extent of the problem and how it hurts players. See topic on this web site.)

Best wishes to your son. Be objective regarding your son's talent. Play your cards close in the recruiting process. Don't be overly impressed with any of these recruiters/coaches, pro or college. Don't commit too early. Let the process play out. If he has a good offer from a school he likes, he can sign the NLI in November (which is the earliest he can sign). Earlier verbal commitments gain him nothing and may discourage other schools from looking at him. (And if you read the UGA overrecruiting topic, you will see how this can ruin a potential good player's career -- college and baseball.) The recruiting process almost never plays out like you predict or want it to, so be flexible -- and don't look back. If someone misleads you, write them off -- toot sweetly (ok, I studied spanish, not french).

Your son will only get better if he goes to college -- and hopefully will be even more valuable. Read the book "Moneyball, the art of winning an unfair game" by Michael Lewis to gain insight on how pro teams evaluate players. You will discover that the chances of making it to "The Show" are much greater for those who attend college. It gives young men a chance to mature and develop -- while having a backup plan. If pro scouts are looking at your son now, they won't stop looking.

Good Luck !!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.