Skip to main content

Often baseball is called a game of failure and that is certainly true. I wanted to look at how many bases good hitters get per game which included hits, walks and hit by pitches.

So what I did was (total bases+walks+hbp)/games played.

Here are the active career leaders

1. Trout 2.81
2. Judge 2.73
3. Betts 2.6
4. Pujols 2.57
5. Votto 2.55
6. Bregman 2.53
7. Stanton 2.53
8. Bryant 2.52
9. Goldschmidt 2.52
10. Hoskins 2.50

A slightly above  average hitter (about 750 OPS or so) had about 2 bases per game or 0.5 bases per plate appearance (trout 0.65).

I think that is a good start goal to shoot for. 2 bases is an ok day, 3 or more is a really good day, below 2 is not good.

Obviously the best is to not worry about stats and just hammer the ball (I like 2 hard hit balls per game as a goal which is about what top job hitters do) but if you need such an external goal I think that would be an easy to monitor goal that is easy to grasp for players (unlike complicated math stuff like OPS that is not intuitive).

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Seriously though. Dominik that metric makes my son feel better because he's been walking like a fiend lately and hitting pretty meh.  Me? I keep telling him walks won't get him recruited. Take a rip!

Walks work at the present level. They don’t get you to the next level. When my son first started hitting third in the lineup junior year of high school his coach told him he’s not hitting third to take strikes. He’s hitting third to drive in runs. In travel ball you don’t want to waste opportunities walking unless you’re just not seeing strikes. 

Dom’s stats are for players who are already at the highest level. 

Last edited by RJM
@RJM posted:

Walks work at the present level. They don’t get you to the next level. When my son first started hitting third in the lineup junior year of high school his coach told him he’s not hitting third to take strikes. He’s hitting third to drive in runs. In travel ball you don’t want to waste opportunities walking unless you’re just not seeing strikes. 

Dom’s stats are for players who are already at the highest level. 

I think they are mostly interesting for college and pro players. Obviously at 13u nobody cards about your obp if you can't hit.

They could also motivate a HS player if he has a bad day to do something. Kinda like you didn't hit well but you had a bloop and a walk so you did your job helping the team. 

Last edited by Dominik85

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.