Skip to main content

My four seam fastball has always have some cut to it and have been told by coaches that it needs to be straight. Is having some slight cut a bad thing or is it possible to learn to control it? In games, I have been able to get plenty of ground outs and swings on it but at the cost of control of it at times because it breaks away from the point on the plate I want to hit. I am not sure if I should be very concerned or just learn to live with it and work to use it to my advantage. I have a pic below of the grip to see if there is any possible reason behind it. Thanks

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 55E218C1-08E4-4EA4-A741-4ADF20DE33CD
  • EB6A0220-BAB3-49A1-86E8-7FE29BE33A4E
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Command and control are 2 different things.  IMO you first must master control.  That’s essentially where your mechanics come into play, where they are repeatable no matter what pitch you throw.  Once your control is established, then you move on to command.  In your example, if you have run on your 4 seam (more the better) then you want to command it. Meaning, start it off the plate and have it run over, or start in the zone and run it off.  Once you’re able to command the movement, your coach can go back to picking daisies.

The "modern way" is that you want to eliminate cut on the 4 seamer, they want straight 12 6 backspin and little horizontal movement because that increases the "ride" or vertical lift on the ball.

The analytics guys call that spin efficiency and it is correlated with swing and miss somewhat.

However there are plenty of good pitchers with "inefficient" side to side moving fastballs with a gyro spin component and lower "active spin" levels.

Generally the believe is that vertical movement causes more swings and misses but horizontal movement while considered a bit old fashioned can be good too, it usually doesn't miss as many bats but it can cause weak contact.

Often cutter or fade two seamer pitchers have lower k rates but can compensate with more weak contact and less homers.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/t...-it-in-spades/%3famp

As long as it is not preventing Velocity, and most importantly as long as your mechanics are sound and you aren’t putting yourself in potential jeopardy for injury, having movement on any pitch is ideal.

I would advise, if possible, getting with a highly qualified pitching coach for a few lessons to make sure that your mechanics are sound as well as to teach you any type of arm care that he thinks Will help you.

I will follow 3and2 comments and add...

Not totally my area of expertise but historically, max velocity is equated with an optimal natural sequence and release that results in some tail or straight, not cut.  Obviously, there are name players who lived off of a hard cutter but, generally, I don't believe a pitcher can obtain his max velo with a cut and it may or may not be a sign of mechanics or injury issues.

When that cut FB is intentional, it is accomplished by altering finger pressure.  3and2 mentions the injury aspect.  Interestingly, in my playing days, I had good tail with my 4-seam from the left side. this was the case whether pitching or making OF throws.  After a few significant shoulder injuries, my natural throws lost all tail and, in fact, slightly cut.  Even after full rehab, I couldn't get rid of the cut and couldn't get full velo back.

Easye22, I'm not suggesting you have or have had an injury but, as 3and2 suggests, it may be worthwhile to have a highly qualified P coach check mechanics.  If everything is clean, then yes, you may find it advantageous to use that different movement to your advantage.

PS - how old are you and how big are your hands?  Looking at the pics... depending on your answer, there may be another avenue to look for answers.

Last edited by cabbagedad
@cabbagedad posted:

I will follow 3and2 comments and add...

Not totally my area of expertise but historically, max velocity is equated with an optimal natural sequence and release that results in some tail or straight, not cut.  Obviously, there are name players who lived off of a hard cutter but, generally, I don't believe a pitcher can obtain his max velo with a cut and it may or may not be a sign of mechanics or injury issues.

When that cut FB is intentional, it is accomplished by altering finger pressure.  3and2 mentions the injury aspect.  Interestingly, in my playing days, I had good tail with my 4-seam from the left side. this was the case whether pitching or making OF throws.  After a few significant shoulder injuries, my natural throws lost all tail and, in fact, slightly cut.  Even after full rehab, I couldn't get rid of the cut and couldn't get full velo back.

Easye22, I'm not suggesting you have or have had an injury but, as 3and2 suggests, it may be worthwhile to have a highly qualified P coach check mechanics.  If everything is clean, then yes, you may find it advantageous to use that different movement to your advantage.

PS - how old are you and how big are your hands?  Looking at the pics... depending on your answer, there may be another avenue to look for answers.

I am currently 19 and I would say I have pretty average hands nothing crazy big. I think it more glove side movement and I just threw in a fall ball game where the cut lead to more jammed hitters. From what I am seeing, It would probably be best to learn to use the movement to my advantage. Also, figure out how much movement I am actually getting each time I throw it so I can use it to get strikes.

As long as it is not preventing Velocity, and most importantly as long as your mechanics are sound and you aren’t putting yourself in potential jeopardy for injury, having movement on any pitch is ideal.

I would advise, if possible, getting with a highly qualified pitching coach for a few lessons to make sure that your mechanics are sound as well as to teach you any type of arm care that he thinks Will help you.

so far it has not been preventing velocity but it just has prevented me from hitting the spots I want. For instance, I want to work inside on the hitter but the movement just makes it tail out and I miss the spot. most of the time it just gets taken for a strike or is just topped over for a ground out. But when against really good hitters it just gets hit off of for singles and some doubles.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.