Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Talk the bat up big to the richest kids on your team and get them to buy one. Then you can use it all season long for free. Thats what happens on the teams I play on. Plus use your money on an expensive glove. Lasts longer and better use of your money. Because aluminum can dent and they come out with a newer and better model every year! It will get expensive keeping up with the newest model. So buy a new glove instead and get somebody else to purchase the bat.
I think it's worth it. I just got a Louisville Dynasty for Christmas and it has so much more pop, then my Rawlings Liquid Metal 2 and Easton Z Core. A glove is defintly a good investment, but I'm sure you'll probly play on more then one team this season, and I'm sure you don't want to use a different bat everytime. And besides a lot of people won't share their bat, especialy if they payed so much for it.
I say find a bat that feels good in you hands and stick with it. I got a Louisville Platinum, maybe 4 years ago? And I love it so I get a new one every time I need a new bat. When I first got it it cost $180 and I got another one this winter for $75. Newer isn't always better. I have never hit with and easton stealth but the guys on my team eather love it or hate it. There is no in between. The power hitters on my team hate it because they say the handle gives out too soon and the barrel isn't straight when they explode through the strike zone. Now the average guys (line drive hitters) love it. They say it doesn't, they say it flexes right at the right time. So it depends on the person using it. If it feels good to you, I say go for it. If it doesn't, keep searching for something that does. That is what I did with my platinum and I never looked back.

Hope I helped,
Kevin
$280 for a bat is very pricey. But, that's a personal choice and weighing what you spend your money on and what else you spend your money on instead is something only you can consider and answer.

The bat is absolutely amazing though. Never seen a bat with more pop (and that xtra pop does change results and can make a difference- ask any third baseman who has played in the metal bat generation)
You can believe superstition or scientific fact.

Please read up on BESR. ALL - and that means ALL - HS bats that are BESR certified are limited to the same exit velocity. So people can talk about "pop" all day long. But the rules and the tests are there to ensure that the ball doesn't come off the bat any faster than the limits allow.

The aluminum bats were too "hot" (or had too much "pop" if you prefer that term). The rules were designed to slow down the exit velocities. It wasn't a matter of getting the velocities up to the limit. All the bats had to be toned down.

Again, please read up on the BESR tests before you make such statements.

And the batter has a lot more to do with the hit than the bat.
So in theory, at least at these speeds, no aluminum or other metal bat should exceed these exit ratios. Of course, some bats wouldn't necessarily meet this maximum BESR standard. Thus the differences between say, an $80. Black Magic and a $280. Platinum or whatever.

My question for the physics professor is this: How much difference in exit ratio if a ball is pitched at 90 and the bat speed is 88? Huge difference in ratio or very little? How many college (or high school for that matter) pitches are at 70 mph, and who swings a bat at 66 at that level? We're talking about RATIO here.

I don't know the answers, thus I ask the question. Smoke and mirrors to some extent, or not?

At any rate, 94-plus miles per hour doesn't give pitchers (in particular) a lot of time to react.....These BESR standards are based on some kind of formula relative to wood bats and major league hitting - You can look it up, as Yogi would say.

Personally, I like wood but not for anything related to saftey issues. Aluminum is here to stay at the h.s. and college level.

Apparently I have a little too much time on my hands this New Years Eve.......enough rambling.
Last edited by itsagreatgame
Tiger2008- Heybatter and Texan are right, the stealth is definitely the best bat on the market. It comes off the bat better than any other. Its been durable so far and I have had no problems with it. Easton probably will come out with another model this season. I would be very surprised if they didnt so you may want to think about waiting for those.
The whole BESR testing procedure is pretty fascinating to me. After understanding the entire process I am lead to believe that the whole procedure, while valid in the laboratory, is pretty irrelevent in real life - in a real hitting situation. It becomes clear that any given bat manufacturer can and most certainly does offer bats with more "pop" than others. I'm beginning to see just how crucial a role alloy and flex play.

BESR test proceedures basically assume the "sweet spot" for every bat is the same - exactly 6" from the end of the barrel. This is necessary to develope a true 'standard' but is not a reality with individual bats. Also, the swing machine/mechanism used in the laboratory stops generating torque at a given distance from the ball before being struck. Again, for a lot of reasons related to physics this is necessary in the lab to develope a 'standard'. Not true in a real hitting situation. Most of us continue to develope torque until contact is made with the ball if we are using sound mechanics. A third factor that seems would change everything in real life is the pivot point - in real life no two batters have the same exact pivot point in regards to the bat/swing plane. Heck no batter is going to have the same pivot point from swing to swing / pitch to pitch.

It's my conclusion that given these factors alone, BESR is pretty meaningless in real life. A good idea, but not a foolproof method to limit bat exit speeds.

Then again, I really don't know squat and I'm just making some eduacted assumptions here.
Last edited by itsagreatgame

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.