Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I think you always have to ask the question good for what?  Good for your average ha team?  Absolutely. Recruitable? - probably not. You have time being only a 2020 which is what the others have said so you are in the game. My slightly different two cents is don't let it be about just making a varsity team. Make it about the next level. Challenge yourself to get to benchmarks and get under 2.00 by junior year.  Good luck!

Keep working on your footwork, exchanges, and accuracy....the arm strength will come (assuming you keep working on it).

My son was a "smallish" catcher but always had very good feet and exchanges which kept his pop times low. When he got to his sophomore/junior year he grew a little more and his arm started to come in. Combining that stronger arm with the good footwork/exchanges he saw his pop times drop to under 2.00 and stay very accurate.

Commit to an off season strength and throwing program.  I caution you to make sure the instructor and club program are dialed into the strict protocols you have to follow to get the benefit and avoid injury.  My son has benefited immensely from both; he was taught the specific moves and follows them religiously.   IF velo has gone from 76 to 84, then 84 to 88 the past two years.  His size has gone from 155lbs to 171lbs and 5'8 to 5/10 just for reference.  He's a 2018

my 2019 just did a Top  Prospects camp a couple weeks ago, hes going into his Soph yr, at the camp he  ending up being the top 2019 catcher over all, and 2nd to a 2018,  his numbers were pop 1.87 arm velo 77 mph ,

he's 5.9 155 pounds. but all muscle and living in the weight room, and in our basement workout area that I got for $60 on craigslist. he's eating right and gaining weight . hes a top prospect in our state, but he knows the work is not done , he was the starting catcher on his varsity team last year every game and batted 3rd-6th as a freshmen .

as to  your pop time it will come, but arm strength  is huge at the next level, like others saying arm care is #1, no one wants to see rainbows to 2nd, me personally I prefer my son to throw some into center field to show off the arm, I really hate to see PBR videos showing kids pop time at 1.8 but its always on a bounce, that doesn't work long term ,because at the next level combine arm and foot work and arm action will get you the starting times .

also you have to train your mind ,, MINDSET to me is the biggest factor that some make it and some don't,

sorry for the all the info kid, but since your a 2020, you have to work and sounds like you want it more than the other guy, you can be great and not have to spend all the money, you just have to choose the right program.

Last edited by c2019

2.18 is above average per the PG site.  The average for all the 2020's that have popped at one of their showcases is 2.22.  The majority of 2020's that take the time to showcase at that age feel like they have something to show off so with that in mind, you are doing pretty good. 

Just keep working on the exchange, footwork and accuracy and as your body continues to develop and you gain strength, either naturally and/or through strength training, that number will come down. 

How many catchers does Varsity have?  Keep in mind the JV season is shorter than the Varsity season and many times coach will take a few of the JV team on board to complete the varsity season. 

If you don't make Varsity your first time around you have time, and BONUS you WILL grow.  I am the parent of a 2020, he spent this past summer in the weight room with the football team and holy cow is he different now!  His throw downs are bullets, his footwork is faster because his core is strengthened, and he's kicking butt at baseball winter speed and agility.  He had pipe-cleaner arms, now he has actual muscles I can see moving! 

Have you hit the weight room yet in earnest?

Getting below 2.00 at game speed isn't a realistic goal. Check out the best 3 avg pop times in MLB and you'll see my point. If you can be consistently close to 2.05 in game, and throw the ball on the bag, then you're way ahead of the curve. 

Some guys put too much importance on this one measurement though. Don't discount how important all the other aspects of the catching position are as well. If I have a guy who can run a 6.35, but can't get on base or catch a flyball, he ain't very useful.

Iron Horse hit the nail on the head.  You can have a sub 2.0 pop time and not throw anyone out cause the pitchers aren't holding runners.  But if they get to third and your blocking like a fiend and no one takes home...That is huge.  One thing I work with tirelessly with my son is receiving and framing.  One of his coaches actually credited a win in part to his ability to make borderline balls look like strikes and get the calls.   And you are seeing more and more articles being written on catchers who are good at getting extra strikes called and how it plays out of a 162 game season.

Arm strength will come.  But the desire to throw your body in front of balls, take those hits and go right back in the crouch....  you cant teach that..

Agree with everything said.  However please don't make pop times or arm strength sound unimportant.  Every catcher drafted or recruited by colleges will need an acceptable pop time and good enough arm.  Every tryout, every showcase, every chance scouts get... Your pop time will be recorded.  Every catcher should strive to improve their pop time and arm strength.

Sooner or later the pitchers you catch will get quicker to the plate.  The pitcher has no effect on your pop time, he only affects the call at 2B.  

That said, it is all important, you can create interest with a good pop time, but you won't be able to catch without being good at receiving, blocking, framing and everything else it takes to be a top catcher.  And yes it can be taught if someone wants to learn.  Only thing you can't teach is desire and courage.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.