Skip to main content

Clueless Jr is a 2019 RHP, and a late bloomer (we hope). He is not currently on anybody's radar. He is a good student and we are hoping that a good showing at a Fall Senior year camp will generate a D3 coaches interest.

If he were to attend a Nov 2018 camp (HF), would this be too late to catch an interest, visit a school, decide if it was a good fit, and apply in time? We have been and will continue to visit schools on our own, but we are casting a wide net, which makes it tough to cover. 

This is all feeling pretty real now, and i want to make sure i don't shoot myself in the foot with a bad plan. 

TIA

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

cluelessDad2019 posted:

Clueless Jr is a 2019 RHP, and a late bloomer (we hope). He is not currently on anybody's radar. He is a good student and we are hoping that a good showing at a Fall Senior year camp will generate a D3 coaches interest.

If he were to attend a Nov 2018 camp (HF), would this be too late to catch an interest, visit a school, decide if it was a good fit, and apply in time? We have been and will continue to visit schools on our own, but we are casting a wide net, which makes it tough to cover. 

This is all feeling pretty real now, and i want to make sure i don't shoot myself in the foot with a bad plan. 

TIA

The timing is not a problem as it relates to the typical D3 recruiting period.  But there are two other issues to keep in mind that can make this challenging.  

1. - If he gets some decent interest, it becomes logistically difficult to make multiple visits in a short time frame.  We have a 2018 (not son but a player in my HS program) going through that now.  He is making several visits all over the country.  He is enjoying it but he is certainly missing some school time and it is costing a pretty penny.  It is somewhat helpful that some of his travels are coordinated by his travel team/organization - they visit clusters of schools regionally on pre-planned trips designed to specifically target this level of schools.  Just a lot to squeeze into a short time slot.  It will help that you have already visited several schools but in many cases, the HC/RC will want the player to come back to the school if there is mutual interest.  

2. - applying ED.  I don't know enough detail to speak to this in any depth but I know it factors in for many looking at high academic schools.

Last edited by cabbagedad

If he's hoping to use baseball as leverage to get into a highly selective D3 (NESCAC schools, for example) then yes, HF in November would be a problem, as the coaches at those schools will want him to apply ED. If the schools are not as hard to get into, or his academic credentials are such that he's a good bet to get in on his own applying RD, then November would be fine.  

If the money is there, maybe do summer and November.

I agree with JCG. 

Why wait until November, 2018?  HF has Summer 2018 showcases that would be ideal for a player targeted towards a D3. 

Set a communications plan in motion with the vetted (academically and athletically) list of schools now.  And plan on showcasing in the Summer 2018. 

Then November 2018 becomes a fall back if needed though I'm not sure how many HF D3's are still looking for players by that time frame.  Many of the D3 schools at HF will have their targeted recruits by then with many of those targets applying ED at that time.

cluelessDad2019 posted:

TIA

Please clarify how good of a student?  GPA? ACT or SAT?

Concur with JCG and Branson that you need to plan much earlier to get the exposure, possibly starting with a showcase in June of rising senior summer.  D3 coaches are still trying to get the best possible baseball players they can.  And the top D3's and top academic D3's typically get first pick, and they are "identifying" players as early as June.  

You need to know that top academic showcases sell out early in the year, so it's important to be aware of the early sign up and sell out's.  It's also key for you to have a realistic sense of your son's baseball ability, as well as knowing his overall academic (gpa + SAT-ACT) and how it may fit with D3's.

Last edited by Gov
cabbagedad posted:
Goosegg posted:

Jason, you realize the kid graduated HS six months ago, right?

Yes, it looks like Jason Rylick signed up last night and has managed to put up nearly 50 posts since... very unusual activity.  I'm curious to see how this plays out.

It appears the guy was attempting fifty posts in fifty minutes. When I looked on it was one long stream of his posts listed on the right. 

I checked when he joined it was a couple of years ago. In his history he made more qualitative posts. I wonder if his account got hacked.

I think Jason may have some strong affiliation with I95 Metro.  He seems to be trolling for competitor showcase posts and went after me for my comments about what I felt was lacking from my son's experience with it. I too saw the crazy amount of kind of nonsensical posts from last night! he seems to be hung up on showcase coaches being on more than one field!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.