Skip to main content

Just looking for some feedback regarding the exposure level for my 2011 player.
6'-4", 195lb, R/R, 7.3 60, tops out currently @ 84 FB.
He will be starting first baseman and pitcher for his high school team.
He is a part of a 16U travel team that will play in east coast tournaments ( Bellfonte PA, Delaware SATB, Temple Team Showcase, Blue Chip Prospects Flemington NJ,) and others total of approx 40 games +-.
He is also a part of a National Travel team that will play in 3 major tournaments ( NorCal Invitational California, WWBA 16U Nationals Georgia, and WWBA Underclassmen Team Showcase, Florida) Among others.
He is not signed up for any individual showcase tournaments.
We were considering the PG Sunshine Northeast Underclassman showcase and the Blue Grey Summer showcase.
I would appreciate anyone's input as to whether you feel he will get adequate exposure without the last two listed individual events or do you think they are a good idea to attend.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Cenpapete;

A few questions.

1. Do you have a budget established for all your expenses?

2. What are your son's goals?

3. How far from your home is the location of the travel team?

4. Is your son's future as a 1b or Pitcher?

5. What is he learning from this "quest" for exposure?

6. Does he have time for "self education"?

7. Has the Yankees Area Code team contacted your son?

Bob Williams
Bob Williams,

Hope you recieved my private message regarding you questions above and my 2001 sons exposure level. I thought you might see it sooner through a private message since I had'nt checked the board and responded back soon after you posted.
In case the PM did not work, my reply back is below also.

Bob,
In response to your posted reply regarding my 2011 son. Those are great questions and I would like to respond to each.A few questions.

1. Do you have a budget established for all your expenses?

That is a tough question. I have funds set aside for his Baseball, we have everything covered currently no problem. I have additional funds set aside for opportunities that may come up that look wise to get involved with.

2. What are your son's goals?

My son's goals are to play division one baseball on a scholarship and eventually get a chance at a major league playing opportunity.

3. How far from your home is the location of the travel team?

The current teams he plays on are Altoona Curve Juniors www.curvejuniors.com and the newly formed NorCal East National team www.norcaleast.org . They are a 2 hour drive from our home.

4. Is your son's future as a 1b or Pitcher?

Another tough question. He has been seen by Matt Andersen Local Seattle Mariner Scout and Brad Fidler from the Major League scouting bureau
There opinions where that he has a high ceiling as a pitcher because of his mechanics and body type. They also said that they really like his swing and that they would rank him on the MLB scale as below average but that for his age he is in a really good place especially with his body type and projected developement.
He currently is most comfortable at first base and loves to hit so I would honestly say that he prefers 1st base now but has alot of potential yet to be developed as a pitcher.

5. What is he learning from this "quest" for exposure?

He and I are learning that there is alot of money making events that are dissappointing. He is a bit disallusioned about the showcases that he has attended and I cannot blame him, there is so much standing around and the attendance back here on the east coast by scouts and colleges is never what is promised.

6. Does he have time for "self education"?

Absolutely, He up until this point was a three sport athlete but has decided baseball is his love and will be pursuing baseball only.

7. Has the Yankees Area Code team contacted your son?

No not yet.

His travel team coach has mentioned that he was going to look into getting him a try-out thru our local San Diego Padres associate scout Brent Ronan who was involved with the Area Code games last year but we have not heard anything yet.

Hope that answers your questions.

Any info or response to the above would be much appreciated.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.