Skip to main content

I have posted same thing many times but time of year for a repeat.
Mine walked through the door last night and I was in awe. Reflecting back on the skinny kid who left for school two years ago, I thought he looked good first Thanksgiving home.

But a boy didn't come through the door last ngiht, it was a 21 year old man who was now filled out in all the right places and definetly taller. Hair a bit longer to my liking but definetly much different than even 3 months ago.

Later, I thought about all that has transpired over the past 6 years since freshman in HS. And I felt a little sad.

Sad because I think I wished away too many things to come and go, HS seasons, recruiting, draft, NLI, first fall practice, first college start, first win, 2 college seasons come and gone.

For the first time I am not so eager for season to begin. Not so eager because I have been so eager for things to come and now they are gone. There will be new things to look forward to, but never those HS and early college years.

Enjoy the holidays, enjoy the moment, enjoy all because what happens today is done forever. One day you will wake up and realize you were too eager for everything to happen.

Smile
TPM
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

TPM: Nice post. It reminds me of the Murphy Brown (remember her???) episode that guest stars Barry Manilow (!) and he sings "I Am Your Child" while Murphy imagines her son, a baby I think, growing from a really little kid to a boy to a teenager to a man to a dad.... And she wonders how it happened...

When my children were babies, my answer to anyone who asked me if I was anxious for my baby to roll over, crawl, walk, talk, etc., was "No, I am enjoying THIS stage of their life..."

Not anxious for them to grow older any more than they are, or faster...just like I am not anxious for ME to grow older any more or any faster than I already am.... cry
Last edited by play baseball
quote:
He's also getting married in Feb so his fiance asked for some "growing up" photos to have in a slide show at the wedding.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding Frank!

TPM - nice thoughts. I am as guilty as the next person of thinking what tomorrow might bring. It is indeed the wrong way of thinking about things. Let us all enjoy the moments for they will pass quickly like a rainbow after a storm or a wedding in February. All too soon we will have just our memories.

Saw an Adam Sandler comedy/drama recently entitled "Click" where he was given the power to fast-forward through his life. Pretty scary when you actually see things played out that way. The point made in the movie was a good one - even the mundane/unpleasant things in life can have value and should be cherished in their own ways otherwise the good things in life can be missed.
My sophmore came home Tuesday night and there is a difference. He may not be much taller but he just appears huge. I can hide behind him and you wouldn't know I was there. Physically he has turned into a man and I wonder how it happened.

I really don't think I wished things would go so fast, but I do wish I had a better memory. So many things have happened in the past 6 years that many of them have already blurred into a haze that gives me a wonderful feeling but misses the specifics that made me feel that way.

Your post has made me dig deep into the memory banks to try and solidify some of the highlights I can recall over the years and it has been a wonderful way to spend some idle time. Maybe that's what the Thanksgiving Holiday is all about.

Thanks TPM, great post.
This has been on my fridge since the birth of my first child... it's yellowed and dry but the words are as important to me today as they were back then.

First I was dying to finish high school and start college
And then I was dying to finish college and start working.
And then I was dying to marry and have children.
And then I was dying for my children to grow old enough for school so I could return to work.
And then I was dying to retire.
And now, I am dying...
And suddenly I realize I forgot live.
-Anonymous
We always need to be reminded to enjoy each and every day, appreciating all that life has given us. That is most important when it comes to the children we've been so blessed with.
TPM,
nice post.

I too had a 21 year old son walk in the door last Tuesday night. Due to the college work load of school and practice and the "volunteer" workouts he has not been home this semseter.

It was a joy to sit down and visit with my son and discuss many subjects outside of baseball. We discussed politics, investments, stock market(he's a business major in finance) and of course baseball. What a joy it was to have discovered that I have a son with whom I have mentored over the years who now on some subjects is mentoring me.

Each stage of life is different and this stage is looking like it is going to a lot of fun to expereince

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.