Skip to main content

In some ways not surprising but contrary to rest. All surrounds with "ideals" of the league. Seniors can still play as grad students elsewhere as some have in the past. But what a scramble that would be. Wonder if there are HA D1 baseball freshman commits to some of the bigger conferences will now find Ivy attractive? A few of the Ivies have recruited undergraduate transfers before (but not many).

https://www.inquirer.com/colle...aduate-20200402.html

Last edited by Ripken Fan
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ripken Fan,

We had a similar AP article in todays local paper.   It isn't too often you see an Ivy League article headline in central Virginia.   Basically the same info and datapoints you've shared.  

The one thing that did catch my attention was a statement that as of Thursday (before the league announcement) "nearly 70 Ivy League spring sport seniors had entered their names in the NCAA transfer portal".  I wish them all good luck.

Last edited by fenwaysouth
fenwaysouth posted:

Ripken Fan,

We had a similar AP article in todays local paper.   It isn't too often you see an Ivy League article headline in central Virginia.   Basically the same info and datapoints you've shared.  

The one thing that did catch my attention was a statement that as of Thursday (before the league announcement) "nearly 70 Ivy League spring sport seniors had entered their names in the NCAA transfer portal".  I wish them all good luck.

They probably all intended to attend grad school regardless.

Last edited by RJM
fenwaysouth posted:
9and7dad posted:

I can't say I'm surprised by that announcement from the Ivy League.  There is some history of Ivy Leaguers transferring to other schools/conferences as graduate students and finding success.

Exactly, and sorry to see your son's grad season cut short.  

Thanks Fenway.  I won't lie, it hasn't been easy to have the season cut short the way it was.  Even under the circumstances, it was an incredible experience.  

I do hear rumblings of the attractiveness of the ivy stance on a boost to recruiting. Should be interesting to see how it shakes out for 2021 and beyond since the 2020s signed NLI. 
I do think it also depends on when we can play again and families will start to shuffle the recruiting direction. 

I do think the hard part is that you still have to get in academically so I’m not sure there will be that much of a shift for the non-academic athletes.

I did hear from another recruit that Harvard dropped their gpa requirement to 3.25 for athletes, supposedly. 

Even If you get in, you still have to remain eligible so I that is a double whammy on lowering the gpa ceiling/floor to get in. Might be a struggle for a kid who doesn’t have the academic rigor to survive a high academic like that. 

Athletes who get into Ivies are intelligent even if they are getting some slack on gpa and sat scores. I’ve had friends and my son has friends who have played sports at Ivies. They said pick the right major and it’s no problem getting good grades. My cousin ran track and was pre-med. He graduated with a very high gpa and went in to a highly regarded med school. My cousin said the hardest part about an Ivy is getting accepted.

Last edited by RJM

Don’t disagree there might be some but I think if the slack got someone in with a 3.25 it might be a struggle. Pretty sure the pre-med at an Ivy wasn’t taking easy courses to stay eligible. Pre med is not an easy major to carry, especially with the added workload and time commitment of baseball. Not saying it’s impossible but definitely challenging. 

ivys carry another level of academic rigor, even at the right major. Incredible opportunity for success and to play baseball is definitely a great draw to Ivy. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.