Skip to main content

It’s likely many people thought getting traded to the Nationals is coming home. But the journey to get to Washington just got a lot more local. James’ parents can see him play any weekend now. The Nationals minor league teams are in VA, DE, PA and NY. Upstate NY is a bit of a trip. But, it’s a doable long weekend.

Last edited by RJM
@Dadof3 posted:

PT, you all live in MD?  2023 is playing at the University of de this coming weekend.  Will James be playing at Harrisburg?  Might be a nice trip for us to watch him, not too far from us now.  We used to live outside philly.  Anyway, happy for you!

I will try to answer for Paula. Harrisburg is the AA affiliate, this is James first full season at A so he isn't there yet, but he will be. There isn't much of the season left so maybe they might keep him at the spring training facility. Hoping that she can fill us in when things settle down.

Dadof3 is your son going to a camp at U of Delaware? Showcase? Is he interested in the program?

You can shoot me a pm.

@TPM posted:

I will try to answer for Paula. Harrisburg is the AA affiliate, this is James first full season at A so he isn't there yet, but he will be. There isn't much of the season left so maybe they might keep him at the spring training facility. Hoping that she can fill us in when things settle down.

Dadof3 is your son going to a camp at U of Delaware? Showcase? Is he interested in the program?

You can shoot me a pm.

Low A is Fredericksburg VA. It’s 65 mikes from where James was born in MD. Knowing home is MD I’m guessing the family lives somewhere near where he was born. High A Wilmington DE is 110 miles away. AA Harrisburg PA is 100 miles away. AAA Rochester NY is a long weekend, 365 miles away  The big prize is 20 miles away.

Last edited by RJM

Hey all. Coming up for air. I’ll give you the good, the bad and in between. So the good news is James was apparently very wanted by both sides. The Padres tried to hold on and the Nationals insisted. So that is comforting and encouraging and very humbling especially since most of the DC fan base just hates the ownership for trading Soto. James is going from a team that is investing in winning (although obviously very willing to…well…sell the farm to do so) to one that is being sold, which is unsettling. He was truly happy with an incredible experience with the Padres and made good friends with players and built great relationships with the coaches, trainers, administrators and fans. The business side of all of this is brutal and abrupt. You know that in theory but the reality of a 19 year old on a bus with his team, with a window that won’t quite close…halfway through a 5 hour ride to a 6-game away series… finding out he was being traded at the same time and the same way the rest of the baseball world did…well that’s the reality. He didn’t get a call for at least and hour (because things weren’t finalized). Then he had a very kind call with the GM. He gets to the game and is just kinda hanging out in the locker room alone with no clue what the next step were. I think once he’s back on a field he will be fine but this part is a little messy. He is being flown to the Low game (they are currently away in NC)  

We are excited that it will be much easier to get to games. We are worried about the additional pressure and distractions of being a home town kid. We are excited that the pathway to promotions is more open with the National (God-willing) and not looking forward to having to learn a whole new organization and even spring training local. Although the good part of spring training is he’s close to @TPM !!!

I was talking to my college roommate who is an ordained minister and she said one sentence that settled my heart. She said “may his tribe increase.” He’s a great kid and a great player. Now he will get to know more people and more people will get to know him. He will keep working hard and the rest is out of our hands. At least he’s following the HSBBW motto of going where you are loved with the pro ball caveat of “not that you had a damn choice.” 😂

Thanks so much guys! You are the best.

PTWood aka Paula,

As I told you on many occassions, the business side of baseball is brutal. I hope that everyone reading will understand this. The good part is that he is learning early, about how it all goes down and someday he will have a say in his own destiny!

DK was in Jupiter for first full season and it was really great. He always had a friend or family in the audience, James will be fine, he will learn to handle the distractions!

Last edited by TPM

Paula, if I may, I'd like to share a brief story.  I coached a young man in high school who was All-State 1st Team and played centerfield.  He went off to college and got drafted as an outfielder.  He did well.  He was traded and traded and ...  He didn't understand why.  The answer was obvious to me and I explained it to him when we talked.  He had all of those qualities in a player and person that teams wanted.  These various teams wanted him in trade packages.  I am positive that James is in the same category.  The second part of the journey for my former player was that the last team he was traded to wanted to make him a pitcher.  He had never pitched.  He had a tremendous arm.  Again, he didn't understand.  The fact was that with this change, he was fast-tracked to MLB.  With each of these changes, he grew some.  With each of these changes, he found something inside of himself that enabled him to reach new heights.  James will do the same.  As a parent, I know that you are so excited about this.  However, don't forget that so many have similar skills.  It will be the man that James is and becomes that will make him stand out. 

@CoachB25 thank you for your advice. We are acutely aware of all of the amazing talent in the MILB/MLB. You think you know what’s out there and then the international draft happens and you’re playing with an 18 year old throwing 100. As for excited…TBH that was the hardest part of this. So many people think we’d be excited he’s closer to home. That is not what we are feeling. We are deeply proud of all our kids and what they are accomplishing but even more, the people they are. We were excited the day he got drafted. Now, we cheer for him when things go well and we are there for him when they don’t. But mostly are aware of the awesome and unique opportunity he has. We don’t take it for granted and know this journey has very unpredictable ups and downs so we try not to let any high get to high or any low get to low. We try to be his north star when he needs it and to help him manage through all while staying true to himself.

Last edited by PTWood
@PTWood posted:

We were excited the day he got drafted. Now, we cheer for him when things go well and we are there for him when they don’t. But mostly are aware of the awesome and unique opportunity he has. We don’t take it for granted and know this journey has very unpredictable ups and downs so we try not to let any high get to high or any low get to low. We try to be his north star when he needs it and to help him manage through all while staying true to himself.

This is amazing advice.

Not sure where it will be -  Salisbury, Fredericksburg, Richmond, Hartford -- but I'm sure I will have the pleasure of coming to one of his games next season. Best of luck to James.

I just hope the Nats find the good buyer that the players and fans deserve. That part is is rough.

Wow. Talk about a thread blowing up. Just to share my 15 yo was talking about this trade a couple days ago.  He reported that while at a PG event in AZ this summer, they caught a game where this guy, "with tree trunks for legs... literally each one was like my chest (see hand gestures here) ... just a massive guy", was playing and stood out physically and talent wise.  It was James.   He also mentioned that there were latin american pitchers chucking 98-100mph but were crazy wild.  One guy spiked 3 FBs in a row and the catcher was getting so mad at him (probably concerned about preserving his biologic potential for future progeny).

@PTWood posted:

@Dadof3 yes we live in MD and he’s assigned to the Low A team in Fredericksburg

Going to see the Fred Nats on the 13th for the first time!  I went to college in Fredericksburg and getting ice cream at Carl's in the 'burg is a must.  It's on the National Historic Register....and the custard is great!  (I will watch my own son's game on my phone!)

@PTWood if you are going that night DM me so I can meet you!

Can't wait to see James play while the tickets are reasonable!

...and when he gets to AA and you come see him play in Richmond, we will have a grand gathering and get @fenwaysouth to come, too!

Last edited by keewart

I’m still in Mozambique but I will pass the message on to Kenny in case he goes! He will be in NC this weekend for games. James arrived last night. And the James stories are so appreciated. He is all legs and arms and he’s always friends with the smallest guy on the team. Here he is in Lake Elsinore with Trevor Hoffman’s son:B206F38F-EEBF-422A-8BD3-1DE12BE035B8

Attachments

Images (1)
  • B206F38F-EEBF-422A-8BD3-1DE12BE035B8
@keewart posted:

Going to see the Fred Nats on the 13th for the first time!  I went to college in Fredericksburg and getting ice cream at Carl's in the 'burg is a must.  It's on the National Historic Register....and the custard is great!  (I will watch my own son's game on my phone!)

@PTWood if you are going that night DM me so I can meet you!

Can't wait to see James play while the tickets are reasonable!

...and when he gets to AA and you come see him play in Richmond, we will have a grand gathering and get @fenwaysouth to come, too!

Exciting times!  I'd love to see James in either Fredericksburg or Richmond.    Very excited for the opportunity to see James live.

@keewart, he'll be managed by new HC Jake Lowery in Single-A.  I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict he is a chip off the "old block"!  He learned from one of the best.   https://community.hsbaseballwe...of-frednats-single-a

Last edited by fenwaysouth

Sorry for the delayed response. I’ve been a bit sick. Got tested for malaria, typhoid, COVID (welcome to Africa) and was diagnosed with…a bad virus. 😂 Anyway…Thank you guys so much!! Special shout out and humble appreciation to HSBBW family who have made it to games! James took a couple of balls to the arm (one in-game and one in practice) so he missed a few games but he’s back swinging it again now.

@PTWood posted:

Sorry for the delayed response. I’ve been a bit sick. Got tested for malaria, typhoid, COVID (welcome to Africa) and was diagnosed with…a bad virus. 😂 Anyway…Thank you guys so much!! Special shout out and humble appreciation to HSBBW family who have made it to games! James took a couple of balls to the arm (one in-game and one in practice) so he missed a few games but he’s back swinging it again now.

Lots of stuff going around everywhere. When are you coming 🏡? Stay well.

Wow!  James is getting some serious press this spring as the top prospect lists come out.  He seems to be getting tagged as the rising star of the whole group.  Congrats to him and the whole family.  Hope you a re enjoying the heck out of it all, @PTWood.  Must be incredibly exciting.

Edit to say I know it's only spring in the hearts of baseball fans.  Supposed to be -2F here on the CT coast this evening. Definitely not spring.

Last edited by JCG

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.