Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The only people that saw it coming (or at least hoped it would) were the Seminole baseball fans. Right or wrong, Shouppe has been blamed for not developing the pitching staff. There have been some pretty darned good pitchers at FSU in recent years, Gilmartin comes to mind immediately, but the depth has been lacking. Most often FSU has made it as far as they did every year based on their bats, not pitching.

For everything you could possibly want to know and probably much more about FSU baseball, check out the baseball forum on warchant.com. Serious FSU baseball fans aren't as numerous as football fans but they make up for their numbers with ferocity.
Last edited by ShawnLee
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ShawnLee:
The only people that saw it coming (or at least hoped it would) were the Seminole baseball fans. Right or wrong, Shouppe has been blamed for not developing the pitching staff. There have been some pretty darned good pitchers at FSU in recent years, Gilmartin comes to mind immediately, but the depth has been lacking. Most often FSU has made it as far as they did every year based on their bats, not pitching.[QUOTE]

It has never been a secret that FSU lacked depth in their pitching or has failed to develop the outstanding HS pitchers that they have recruited. Evidence is their struggle to get to Omaha and win. The program always seemed a bit off balance to me, hitting off the charts but fair pitching. Regardless, was his resignation to save face for the HC?

I will go on record that I know personally of two pitchers that left the program with issues and have never made it past college baseball. Not sure how many more there may have been. Have they ever really turned out a pitcher like they have a Posey?

They also are in need of a young dynamic pitching coach to be able to recruit against UF and UM programs.
Last edited by TPM
Jamey Shouppe is a hard working, tireless, and outstanding recruiter who we saw many times at events all over the country. He will land on his feet somewhere.

I don't know much about his actual coaching ability, but recruiting is the life blood of any successful college program. If you look at the top recruiters every year, you'll find the best future head coaches. Sully (Florida from Clemson), Corbin (Vanderbilt from Clemson), Childress (Texas A&M from Nebraska), O'Connor (Virginia from Notre Dame) are all examples.

I do know that Florida State was in the College World Series last year and in 2008 too. Lost game 3 of Super Regionals or would have been back there this year. Most colleges never get there.

It will be interesting to see how this turns out for Florida State and for Jamey Shouppe.
Gilmartin had to hold down the lions share of the innings this year, with 120 IP, the next in that order did 63IP. That to me is unbeleiveable that such a program lacked pitching depth.

Point is that they do win to get to Omaha, but I do believe lack of pitching is what prevents them from a championship. Lets face it, if the opposing pitcher shuts down your offense, and you don't have the pitching, you lose.
JMO.
TPM,

You said you know two who left the program with "issues". If you can say, were they personal issues or issues with the coaching/program? I agree that it's tough to recruit against Miami and that other school. Shouppe has been in charge of recruiting for some time. He's brought in some that looked pretty good but didn't pan out. Hopefully whoever takes over can get the pitching up to par with the sticks. FSU will be hard to beat if they do.

I've heard that Shouppe and Martin are very close but I think Martin is taking some heat for getting so close on so many occasions and never closing the deal.
Arm as well as personal issues.

I think they offer (or used to) more to hitters than pitchers. Lots of players taken from JUCO programs. 11 players on their roster are transfers. That's 1/3 roster. It appears to me that they are afraid to go through program growing pains, they just keep restocking.

JMO
The Seminoles are losing too many recruits to The Gators. For example, Gator RHP Karsten Whitson was the 2010 9th over all draft pick by San Diego. He turned down SD for the Gators. When he goes to school, Whitson has to drive through Tallahassee to get to Gainesville.

Whitson is 8-0 with a 2.45 ERA as a freshman. That one hurt Shouppe, I'm sure. Mighta been the dagger.
Last edited by Dad04
quote:
Originally posted by YoungGunDad:
Quoted from the updated previous article:

The Seminoles finished the season with a 46-19 overall record which was led mostly by the lineup as the pitchers struggled with a Team ERA of 3.81

A team ERA of 3.18 is struggling?

That was 3.81 and FSU was 6th in ERA in the ACC.
They led the conference in HR, which they usually do, as their strength has always been on offense.

Dad04 is right, they will never be able to compete in the upper part of the state against the gators, they need to spread their recruiting wings.
Not sure Whitson is a good example (both his parents are Gator grads)

Shouppe was nothing but up-front, complimentary and kind to my son and I during the recruting process a few years ago. (Tidbit, in a "ceremonial gesture", I removed his contact info from my phone on Tuesday..yeah, I know, I guess it was still there for sentimental reasons. Razz)

I know a few "stories" from fairly close sources, but nothing to offer a valued opinion about the inner workings of the program.
I do know that FSU does not seem to get/retain power pitchers of any significant number (arm slot change philosophy)...and, though they do go to many of the big events, there is a decent opinion that FSU gets outworked in the recruiting game (maybe not changing with the times as quick as other programs?)

Shouppe has helped bring much success to the program over the last couple of decades...and, to be fair in return, has had a nice, steady career that would be the envy of many in the profession.
I would say thanks and best wishes. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by DaddyBo:
Not sure Whitson is a good example (both his parents are Gator grads)

That's exactly what Shouppe said. Seriously, they are getting out-recruited in Florida, by Florida. Smile

I know a few "stories" from fairly close sources, but nothing to offer a valued opinion about the inner workings of the program. I do know that FSU does not seem to get/retain power pitchers of any significant number (arm slot change philosophy).

I heard that directly from a power -pitcher's dad after the kid transfered out to Austin a few years back. They also think one batting stance fits all, but they are not alone there.

and, though they do go to many of the big events, there is a decent opinion that FSU gets outworked in the recruiting game (maybe not changing with the times as quick as other programs?)

Shoupe told me they ONLY recruit from their Super Duper $1,000 four day Advanced Camps. I said..."Oh well". I knew different. Perhaps he forgot the showcases and tournaments he went to....
Last edited by Dad04

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.