Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Bear:
Will Paul Winterling be the best player from JHU in the past 10 years?

I can remember a good JHU catcher last year. That
maybe signed.

Paul played for my summer club as a 17 year old. If you recall, he was a catcher in high school. We told him he would be our third catcher and an OFer for us since we projected him as an OFer in college. Very hard working kid indeed!

Although this is an older thread, I was wondering if anybody has any updated information about JHU? My 2015 CF (older boy) was contacted in an email that he was "among their top 50 recruits and invited to their camp" My son contacted coach Babb and mentioned that his school had a 3day weekend earlier in the month and was asked by coach Babbs to come for a visit to meet him and stay with the team that weekend. No mention that he should also attend the camp when they spoke. I have read on other threads about Coach Babbs intregrety but they also bring in alot of recruits. Has anything changed additonal prespectives? Son had the grades and SAT score reviewed by the coach before the offer to come visit. Seemed to like the fact that he could hit and put ball in play. Other than that not much said. 

Sorry, I don't know anything about the program. Looks like they are moderately successful.  Lacrosse is the big deal there.  They play D1 and have been a power since long before the sport became trendy.  You probably know this, but JHU is a great school and very highly selective. I was on campus for the first time in a couple decades recently, and was really impressed with the work they've done since I was last there.  It's really beautiful.  Great classrooms, dorms, labs, dining facilities, lots of nice outdoor space.  Parking really sucks though -- get there early if you go!    FWIW it has a rep as being a quiet school socially, which might be a good thing, depending on the  kid. 

More than moderately successful.  They've won their conference a dozen times in the last 20 years and are a regular presence at the regionals and sometimes beyond.

The only downside I've heard about JHU baseball is they have a LOT of players on the fall roster (60 or more) and even the spring (45 according to their web site).

I don't know how "top fifty recruits" translates into opportunity to make the roster or crack the line up.

I've often said D3 breaks just as many hearts as D1--they just do it later, after the players are on campus.  So ask specific questions to find out how much the coach knows about your son and what plans he has for him.

Best wishes, 

Last edited by Swampboy

Thank you all

Being from SO CAL, we do not here as much about other schools not top 25. New they were a top notch school and played Lacroses but not much else. Was surprised they were D3. Son #1 will go and visit. Will have a list of questions as was mentioned. If he decides to attend JHU and try out for the team at least he will go with his eyes open and no surprises. We have some local D3's that are very well known academiclly but maybe too close to home to excite him. 

Originally Posted by RJM:

Due to the academic reputation Hopkins gets a lot of players who could have played D1 ball. It can be a difficult place to break into the lineup and pitching rotation until junior year.

I've never understood how JHU, a school so highly ranked academically with selective admissions, can consistently field teams of 50+ active roster slots. But they've been doing so for the past few seasons that I've been keeping up with them (and presumably before that). Any ideas as to how/why this is the case at JHU, when academic/athletic peer schools such as Washington U, MIT, and UChicago field teams with more traditional 30 or so man rosters?

Last edited by Soylent Green

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.