Skip to main content

"if only we could get a handle on this nationally"...seems simple doesn't it? both my kids leave next week for school, I will be driving them -  They will be fine!! I don't want them to come home until the semester is over. I don't feel this is controversial or dangerous. Lets hope the schools need the money enough to grow some balls. 

Encouraged them to consider deferring/LOA.

Why would the Coach encourage players to defer/take LOA? Is he assuming that spring 2021 baseball will get cancelled? Players won't lose any of their 4 years of eligibility even if that were to happen, although it would mean that some players might not want to stick around for 5 years of college.

Also curious to know how this dynamic of encouraging deferrals/LOA applies to incoming freshmen vs the older classes. If spring 2021 baseball does occur, seems like getting the freshmen to defer might help with roster management but if a bunch of upperclass players take a LOA then couldn't that mess up the roster?

Let's face it. The 2020 HS class is a wash as far as college coaches are concerned. Most of them have upperclassmen/5th years/transferring Grad students returning and can pick up a new crop of 2021 freshman next Fall. Of course they are going to tell incoming freshman to defer; they'll have plenty for their rosters should they play in the Spring.

Unfortunately, that appears to be the reality.

@ABSORBER posted:

Let's face it. The 2020 HS class is a wash as far as college coaches are concerned. Most of them have upperclassmen/5th years/transferring Grad students returning and can pick up a new crop of 2021 freshman next Fall. Of course they are going to tell incoming freshman to defer; they'll have plenty for their rosters should they play in the Spring.

Unfortunately, that appears to be the reality.

It’s basic economics. Supply is greater than demand. Way more players than there are roster spots. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.