Skip to main content

I was talking with a few people today and the option came up of a HS player who has draft potential to look at JUCO schools instead of D1 schools since he could be drafted sooner.   

I had had never considered that.  But getting more playing time that first year, and being elegable for the draft sounds like it may be a good option for someone close to getting a high draft out of high school.  

thoughts?

Last edited by Dadofa17
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I would think it really depends on the kid.  I know of a player who did exactly that -- in fact, he passed on a (reputedly) 75% offer from a top 20 D1 to play Juco and hope for a high draft spot after freshman year.   Well, that didn't work out, but who knows, it still could after sophomore year, or maybe by junior year he'll be more motivated to go to a 4 year school than he was coming out of HS.  

Originally Posted by Dadofa17:

I was talking with a few people today and the option came up of a HS player who has draft potential to look at JUCO schools instead of D1 schools since he could be drafted sooner.   

I had had never considered that.  But getting more playing time that first year, and being elegable for the draft sounds like it may be a good option for someone close to getting a high draft out of high school.  

thoughts?

Lots of things go into this for it to be the right way to go. I have seen a few kids benefit from this. Mostly guy's that were 3-6 round picks out of HS and a year to mature was what they needed.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.