Skip to main content

For those parents who have had son's recruited out of JUCOs, could you please share how that process went?  What is the typical timeline for a JUCO player?  When does serious interest begin?  When do commitments typically happen?  I understand that some of it is dependent on position (pitcher) or on that highly sought after player, but what does typical JUCO recruiting look like?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

2013 was recruited in the fall of his soph season.  We saw a ton of mid-major schools watching practice, bullpens, scrimmages and games in the fall. The offers came in Oct-Nov. 

2014 has some interest from D1 and D2 schools but has not had an offer. His Juco coach feels he will get a few offers in the early spring say March to the first of April.

Their teammates were recruited in a similar time frame.  It seems that these schools either need players that can come in and produce right away rather than a freshman that may need to some time to be ready for college ball.

Sometimes the D1 and D2 go through their fall and part of the spring and realize that they had a few injuries, players did not improve in time to help them for the following year.

For mid to low D1's  and 4 year schools the Juco is less risk with more reward.

It depends a lot on where you live. In CA there are no scholarships and many players end up at a JC after the 4 year college recruiting has wrapped up, or is wrapping up usually in the March-May time frame.  My son's friends who played at a JC usually were recruited locally by the JC coaches who were out at HS games in the area looking for uncommitted players who they thought could contribute. I realize it is different in other areas of the country but out here tends to be later than the 4 year school recruiting timeline. 

Consultant posted:

Are you located in California? Please note the SRJC web site reporting the players who are moving forward. The Head Coach has an excellent reputation with the Major Colleges.

http://srjcathletics.com/sports/bsb/index

Bob

Didn't the SRJC website used to have a list of all recent 4 year transfers?  All I see right now is links to newspaper articles about two players.

Something like this has to be a more effective recruiting tool:  http://www.cabrillo.edu/academ...baseball/alumni.html

2014Prospect posted:

For those parents who have had son's recruited out of JUCOs, could you please share how that process went?  What is the typical timeline for a JUCO player?  When does serious interest begin?  When do commitments typically happen?  I understand that some of it is dependent on position (pitcher) or on that highly sought after player, but what does typical JUCO recruiting look like?

My son was contacted by several D3's, couple of D2's and one D1 from the midway point of his sophomore spring season on.  Some of his teammates were contacted in the fall, but most were in the spring.  The JuCo he attended was a D2 JuCo in Region X.  Most of the D3's were from the ODAC (nearly every school in that conference).  Ultimately he committed to a D2 university in NC, but they didn't contact him until the day after I moved him home from the JuCo.

The funny thing was the D2 coach never actually saw him play.  What caught the RC coach's eye was my son's stats.  In particular was the number of doubles he had the season.  He finished with 24 doubles in the regular season (broke the school record - had 3 more in the regional playoffs) and was #2 nationally among D2 JuCo players in that category.

It also helped he was named to the 2nd team All Region team, that year, and batted .365 with a low fielding error rate (played 1B).

Consultant posted:

A few weeks ago at the practice game. there were 6 coaches from Major College teams and 4 pro scouts. The SRJC web site indicates the history of alumni. They are now ranked 3rd in the State.

Bob

I must have poor internet skills as I am unable to locate that information on their website.

Timing of interest varies.  Once the D1 season begins it backs off a lot, until the D1 teams figure out what they really need and/or have time to see players in action.  My recollection was that teams started making more offers in late March early April to the uncommitted.  Most CA schools play a fall practice season schedule that are often attended by scouts and D1 coaches that generate interest before their season begins.  If the players is good enough D1s will offer to freshman.. 

Many of these D1 coaches have pro scout friends and other JC coaches that are giving them recommendations all year long.  Sometimes the coaches/scouts are waiting to see how the player handles spring games.

The interest and timing will also vary by league.  In Socal there is a large concentration of D1 schools and the coaches will attend many JC practices and games that don't conflict with their schedule...not so much in NorCal.  Out of state teams looking for players will often watch when they make trips into the state in season. 

btw SRJC probably plays in the most watched and D1 recruited NorCal league, they generally have quality players and play against quality competition.

This web site may help http://www.baseball-reference....uery_type=key_school

Today,  Goodwill Series has 2 teams in Sydney Australia playing the NSW State teams.

Murphy Sua one of our Coaches was the Coach of Damon [SRJC] at Domenquiz Hill.

Baseball is a small world.

Many of the College Coaches and Pro scouts who evaluate the SRJC players are my personal friends from the days of the Area Code games.

Bob

<www.goodwillseries.org>

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.