Skip to main content

Is recruiting for JUCO any different from any other level?

My son made a last minute decision to pass-up the four year colleges he was accepted to and go to a local JUCO to save money and get lower level classes out of the way. He assumed he didn't have what it took to make a "real" college team so he never showcased or contacted any coaches. I'm afraid he's being unrealistic in his thinking that the HS Varsity starters are going D1,2,3 (or no longer playing) and he's a shoe-in to make the local JUCO. I have to admit the current roster has just a few players who were starters for their high schools.

He's planning to play on the Recruiting Coordinator 19u summer team to get on his RADAR and the rest will take care of itself. I gotta love his confidence.

If this was D1,2,3 I'd tell him the rosters are set, the Recruiting Coordinator is not looking at seniors and he's going to be a walk-on. But maybe he has a better handle on it than I do?

-- If it seems I don't know what I'm talking about, you'd be right. --

Last edited by 2016Dad
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

JuCo (NJCAA) is not much different from the NCAA D1, D2, D3, etc when it comes to recruiting.  Most quality JuCo teams recruit just like the "big boys" and walking on at good JuCo programs can be just as hard as walking on at a D1 or D2 university.  Don't assume anything.

My son was recruited by a JuCo that has had a consistent showing in the regional playoffs.  At his freshman fall practices there were 55 players including two walk-ons.  Out of the 55 only 35 made the spring squad and neither walk-on made it.  The rest either dropped out due to grades, injury, self-cut, or red shirt.  The coach never actually "cut" anyone.

Have to keep in mind some D1 prospects will go JuCo for a year or two to get their grades up before going to a D1 university  (4-2-4).

Yes, generally the JuCo's get what the D1, D2, D3's passed over, but that doesn't mean it will be easy to walk on.  I suppose it depends on program.  A weak program that doesn't do a good job recruiting it may be easy to make the roster.  A good program that challenges for regional playoffs is probably going to attract good players.  Especially if the school/coach has a good reputation for transferring players to D1 and D2 schools.

The recruiting is pretty much the same for JUCO as it is D1,2,3 with the exception that JUCOs typically recruit later in the process.  They don't want to spend time recruiting a kid that will end up going to a D1/2/3 school so they will wait until that recruiting timeline has passed.  I can tell you that my son was watched by JUCOs last fall and recruited/signed this January.  The school he will be attending is still looking for a player or two, and they are still actively recruiting through the spring and later into the summer.  So I would say there is still plenty of time for JUCO if that is what your son is wanting to do.  I see you are in So Cal, that may make it a little more difficult to due to the competition but playing for the summer team should offset that.  Good luck! 

Please consider watching the current California Community College Regional playoffs. Your son will have a good perspective on his future college baseball goals. In California there is little recruiting by the Coaches. Encouragement yes. Each September, there will be over 80 prospects at the 1st day of practice. Do you live near Riverside?

Bob Williams

Your son could be setting himself up for disappointment, however, IMO he definitely has a better chance as a walk-on at JuCo than at D1/2/3. For one thing, JuCos typically play more games in the fall. That will allow the coach to make a better assessment of his talent than the more restricted schedules of D1/2/3. Also, JuCo rosters are much more fluid than four year schools. Obviously they have to replace about half of the team every year, plus a few guys do get drafted or move on the D1 after one year. Just like D1/2/3, some guys will wash out academically in the fall. On the down side (for your son), players can be admitted right up to the last minute, and they can transfer in after the fall semester somewhere else and play immediately.

Is your son talking to the coaching staff now? If not, he should be. They can probably give him some idea about his chances of making the team.

2016Dad posted:

.. I have to admit the current roster has just a few players who were starters for their high schools.

Wow, that is quite different than our experience with California JC.  Most rosters are filled with players who not only started for their HS but were all-league caliber.  I've had several players with all-league recognition get cut by the local JC here (granted, a strong one that is a bit rare in that they typically get several players from out of the area as well).

Both JC's one son played for had 80+ show up in fall.  Blood bath every year.  I guess I could see what you describe happen with a few of the remote JC's... what happens when you just look at the guys who are actually getting innings?

Last edited by cabbagedad

2nd what Cabbage says and particularly what Bob Williams says.  Playoffs are currently going on  within a short drive from wherever you live in SoCal. Your son should be able to get an idea very quickly of whether or not he can play at that level.

As for what the RC says I'm sure he's sincere, but that doesn't mean the the program doesn't cut half or more of the kids who show up in the fall.  That's what I hear about the local JC up here in NorCal.

cabbagedad posted:
2016Dad posted:

.. I have to admit the current roster has just a few players who were starters for their high schools.

Wow, that is quite different than our experience with California JC.  Most rosters are filled with players who not only started for their HS but were all-league caliber.  I've had several players with all-league recognition get cut by the local JC here (granted, a strong one that is a bit rare in that they typically get several players from out of the area as well).

Both JC's one son played for had 80+ show up in fall.  Blood bath every year.  I guess I could see what you describe happen with a few of the remote JC's... what happens when you just look at the guys who are actually getting innings?

All this is agreeable.  In my son's experience, yes they do recruit later in the process, generally during the senior season.  During his frosh fall ball, about 70+ showed up but it's a good thing that your son will be playing for the RC's summer team.  Gives the RC about 2 months to evaluate him and gives him a head start over some of the other walk ons who's not playing for him.  Good luck to him. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.