Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

In the upper midwest, it is hard to get noticed, and covid adds on that.  Also, FB is a full ride scholarship, along with the fact that many don't commit until their senior years.  I guess that is why people are willing to go to such higher lengths. 

In our area, they are doing FB workouts, and will start playing with pads in a few days.    They anticipate starting games in early October, but that will depend on what is going on with the numbers in the state.

I think it's true that it's mostly legit D1 prospects and I think they are going to some of the traditional football powerhouse schools in the state. But I am seeing stories not just about players transferring, but their parents looking at relocating businesses to make it all possible. Right now, it mostly seems to be players coming in and working out with local schools. We'll see if they actually pull the trigger on making the move.

I NEVER underestimate the power of crazy-obsessed parents and players.  People say the term "legit D1 prospect" as if every parent and player out there agrees on what a legit D1 prospect is.  They don't.  I'm in Omaha, NE and I know LOTS of parents that sincerely believe their football and baseball player sons are "legit D1 prospects."  Delusions of grandeur is an epidemic these days.  Maybe the problem is isolated to my area, but it is very real and it is significant.

I read in the paper a couples days ago that Omaha has been getting calls from California parents about getting their kids out here to play football.  Everybody here is going through the motions as if high school football is going to happen, but I don't see it happening all things considered.  It may start, but the chances of it finishing?  Way low from my vantage point.  My son is a baseball player who pretends he's a football player in the fall.  He's a kicker/punter, ha!

@DanJ posted:

I NEVER underestimate the power of crazy-obsessed parents and players.  People say the term "legit D1 prospect" as if every parent and player out there agrees on what a legit D1 prospect is.  They don't.  I'm in Omaha, NE and I know LOTS of parents that sincerely believe their football and baseball player sons are "legit D1 prospects."  Delusions of grandeur is an epidemic these days.  Maybe the problem is isolated to my area, but it is very real and it is significant.

I read in the paper a couples days ago that Omaha has been getting calls from California parents about getting their kids out here to play football.  Everybody here is going through the motions as if high school football is going to happen, but I don't see it happening all things considered.  It may start, but the chances of it finishing?  Way low from my vantage point.  My son is a baseball player who pretends he's a football player in the fall.  He's a kicker/punter, ha!

Let me assure you that delusional parents and players are not confined to your area. It is also a national pandemic. 

@adbono posted:

Let me assure you that delusional parents and players are not confined to your area. It is also a national pandemic. 

My son played for a team full of “legit D1” kids a few weeks ago at Lakepoint. Team went 0-fer and I think it opened some eyes. 2023/15u teams rolled out pitcher after pitcher throwing 85+. Most of these kids were given their legit status when they were 12/13u and haven’t grown much since. 

@DanJ posted:

I read in the paper a couples days ago that Omaha has been getting calls from California parents about getting their kids out here to play football.  Everybody here is going through the motions as if high school football is going to happen, but I don't see it happening all things considered.  It may start, but the chances of it finishing?  Way low from my vantage point.  My son is a baseball player who pretends he's a football player in the fall.  He's a kicker/punter, ha!

Haha... was thinking same as adbono's reply.  

Sidenote- one of son's HS good friend/teammates was 3-sport, also pretending to be a football player.  It was the last sport he was likely to advance with.  He ended up a 4 yr backup punter at a P5, full ride and loved every minute.

Transferring to a new school isn’t always rainbows and unicorns. I did it junior year. I played multiple sports. The coaches are happy to have you. The top players are happy to have you. You might help put the team over the top. But you’re pushing a lifetime buddy out of the lineup and possibly causing other shifts in the lineup. This pisses off those players, their parents (who fuel the fire), some of their teammates/lifelong buddies and other friends who aren’t on the team you see in the school hallways, classrooms and cafeteria.

I question if football can survive COVID. There’s too much in your face play. Even the huddle is in your face.

A kid at our high school played soccer, hockey and lacrosse. He was a very good athlete. His junior year the football coach, desperate for a kicker/punter asked him to just show up Friday night and kick. He went to kicking camp the summer before senior year. He ended up kicking at a D1. Everyone thought he would play D1 lacrosse.

The football coach came back after the kid graduated looking for a new kicker. My son ended up being the punter and kicked off. He wowed them with his practice field goals. But he couldn’t elevate the ball quickly and didn’t have time to learn. It’s why I wasn’t impressed when the female US team soccer player made the news kicking a fifty yard field goal with no one in front of her.

My son didn’t consider himself a football player even though he played wide receiver and safety in middle school. The coaches were disappointed when he didn’t continue. He didn’t want to risk getting injured and miss basketball baseball. I told him if getting injured was in the back of his mind he couldn’t play football.

i told my son about Garo Yepremian and “I kick me a touchdown.”  He loved it and mocked himself with it at games.

Last edited by RJM

Cabbagedad, I have some personal experience with that!  My 2021 son had been working the baseball recruiting deal HARD for about the last year.  Did almost nothing for football.  Basically just uploaded his highlights on to Hudl last fall/winter.  ALL in with his baseball approach.  Guess what came first?  A D2 FOOTBALL offer out of nowhere.  His next offer was another D2 football offer.  Baseball offers finally came and he's committed, but it was a gut punch to get those football offers and have nothing for baseball - baseball his is true love.

@DanJ posted:

I read that Nebraska is seeing a surge of cases now.  We had our surge start a month and a half ago.  They shut down football workouts for three weeks.  After that, though, they restarted, and pretty much told everybody that they won't shut them down again.  The thing is that the football workouts are well run with social distancing, but then piles of kids ride together to them, and then hang out afterwards.  The only thing that will result in football happening IMO is that most of the kids is that it hits herd immunity among the players.  I remember that many of the college teams had surges when the kids returned, but seem to have it under control.  We'll see, as the state has to hit phase 3 before they allow contact, and then they need four weeks of that before games start.  They are projecting (hoping) that they can start contact in around a month and play games in two months.

My son is not so upset about the possibility of not playing football TBH, as he likes the workouts (well, he hates them, saying his coaches enjoy torturing kids, but likes the impact they have on his fitness), but not so much the contact drills with manchildren.  We'll see if he keeps playing through HS, as football does a really good job of working on speed, explosiveness, agility, and strength, but at the expense of getting pummeled. 

@DanJ posted:

Cabbagedad, I have some personal experience with that!  My 2021 son had been working the baseball recruiting deal HARD for about the last year.  Did almost nothing for football.  Basically just uploaded his highlights on to Hudl last fall/winter.  ALL in with his baseball approach.  Guess what came first?  A D2 FOOTBALL offer out of nowhere.  His next offer was another D2 football offer.  Baseball offers finally came and he's committed, but it was a gut punch to get those football offers and have nothing for baseball - baseball his is true love.

He shouldn't feel bad... Great luxury college football coaches have with 85 full scholly's D1 and 36 D2 and more likely to be fully funded, I would think.  Baseball coaches have to be much more selective.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.