Skip to main content

Now I have a pretty strong arm and a good pop time and I've caught a lot of baserunners this year so this little issue isnt causing to many problems but I know eventually it may become a problem. A lot of times I will throw way off on my front leg and it probably doesn't give my throw the same strength that it would if I kept more weight on my back leg. Is there any drills or something that might help with this? When I've been long tossing or just throwing I've been trying to just focus on staying strong and using my back leg to drive my throw a bit more, but I'm also looking for something else that I could do to help.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

mimic throwing drills that a pitcher might do but be creative and transform to catching position. a good one i like for transfer of weight for catchers is:

stand at home plate with feet setup in throwing positiong, no glove. coach with balls a couple of feet across from your belly button and fielder on other side of pitchers mound. coach tosses balls towards back side of body to force you to stay back with ball then transfer forward and throw. after a couple of buckets add in tiny shuffle to get your body moving towards target
Try these two drills.
1.POSITIVE DIRECTION DRILL-Turn sideways to your target so that your pivot foot is perpendicular or near perpendicular(toe slightly ahead of heel) to your target.Get down on your left knee so that your left knee is lined up with your right instep.Rock back on your right foot keeping your weight on the inside edge of your pivot foot & your pivot foot knee inside your pivot foot.Rock back & load your back side as you get up to throw. This drill insures that you will have efficient transfer of energy & keeps you from diving into your throw with your haed &/or upper body.

2.THREE STEP DROP DRILL-This is like a quarterback dropping back to throw. The key is to be sure that you land on the inside edge of your right foot on your 3rd step back & that your knee is inside your foot(toe closer to your target than your heel). This is more of a dynamic drill than the POSITIVE DIRECTION DRILL but it focuses on the same throwing fundamentals.

JW
sweetswing,
All the drills you've been given will help the muscle memory you are looking to develop.

Often when catchers are trying to "gain ground" they end up with the issue you are struggling with sometimes. The drills mentioned and focusing on good footwork should help. Good luck and keep asking questions as there are alot of people on this site that have the experience to help.
quote:
Originally posted by jerry weinstein:
Try these two drills.
1.POSITIVE DIRECTION DRILL-Turn sideways to your target so that your pivot foot is perpendicular or near perpendicular(toe slightly ahead of heel) to your target.Get down on your left knee so that your left knee is lined up with your right instep.Rock back on your right foot keeping your weight on the inside edge of your pivot foot & your pivot foot knee inside your pivot foot.Rock back & load your back side as you get up to throw. This drill insures that you will have efficient transfer of energy & keeps you from diving into your throw with your haed &/or upper body.

2.THREE STEP DROP DRILL-This is like a quarterback dropping back to throw. The key is to be sure that you land on the inside edge of your right foot on your 3rd step back & that your knee is inside your foot(toe closer to your target than your heel). This is more of a dynamic drill than the POSITIVE DIRECTION DRILL but it focuses on the same throwing fundamentals.

JW

Coach Weinstein:

Just curious if these drills are on your catching DVD's or where I might be able to find these drills or others in print or video? Thanks.
quote:
Originally posted by jerry weinstein:
No. Working on a new book/e-book/video on catching that has taken on a life of its own. Currently 300+ pages & still unfinished. Hard to work on it during the season.I hope to finish it this off season.

JW

Wow! Sounds great. Can't wait to check that out. Be sure to post something on when/where we can find it. Thanks.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.