Skip to main content

KG vs Funneldrill

HS Baseball vs Select Baseball
(Top 20 HS Programs & Top 20 Select Programs in Texas)

From the eyes of a scout:

Select Ball

Better Talent
Better all around coaches: Most played a little pro ball.
Coach hangs hat on how many kids sign
Bigger egos, Players, Parents, and Coaches
Easier to judge talent
Can see 10 HS stars in one game
Don’t like the team jumping
Coaches fault if not any good, he recruited the team
No football coaches
Coaches are not afraid of getting fired
Coaches have more freedom
Coach has more control over players and parents
No Booster Club President

HS Baseball

Better Fans
Way too much trash talking in HS Baseball
Coach has no control of stands
Unless a big arm is throwing complete waste of time
Must share his team with off-season football
Only needs two legit arms to win it all
Has to play the hand he is dealt
Only time you will see a lot of scouts is deep in the play-offs
Coach hangs his hat on how many District Championships
Coach is not being paid to coach he is being paid to teach in the classroom
Different Focus more about winning less about the next level

Bottom line--- Times have changed. Select ball has made the job of the scout easier. But has also created many more egos for the game.

Ask any big college recruiter who does he have a better relationship with a HS coach or a Select coach? The reason is not the HS coaches fault it is because the college coach is playing the same time the HS season is going on. They just don’t have a lot of time to build a relationship.

Note: I based this on the top 20 programs with each of them. Completely different story with the next 20. Also note I am aware of exceptions to the rule.
NewGuy
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

AMEN on the many "super EGOs" it's created!

quote:
Originally posted by Newscout:
KG vs Funneldrill

HS Baseball vs Select Baseball
(Top 20 HS Programs & Top 20 Select Programs in Texas)

From the eyes of a scout:

Select Ball

Better Talent
Better all around coaches: Most played a little pro ball.
Coach hangs hat on how many kids sign
Bigger egos, Players, Parents, and Coaches
Easier to judge talent
Can see 10 HS stars in one game
Don’t like the team jumping
Coaches fault if not any good, he recruited the team
No football coaches
Coaches are not afraid of getting fired
Coaches have more freedom
Coach has more control over players and parents
No Booster Club President

HS Baseball

Better Fans
Way too much trash talking in HS Baseball
Coach has no control of stands
Unless a big arm is throwing complete waste of time
Must share his team with off-season football
Only needs to legit arms to win it all
Has to play the hand he is dealt
Only time you will see a lot of scouts is deep in the play-offs
Coach hangs his hat on how many District Championships
Coach is not being paid to coach he is being paid to teach in the classroom
Different Focus more about winning less about the next level

Bottom line--- Times have changed. Select ball has made the job of the scout easier. But has also created many more egos for the game.

Ask any big college recruiter who does he have a better relationship with a HS coach or a Select coach? The reason is not the HS coaches fault it is because the college coach is playing the same time the HS season is going on. They just don’t have a lot of time to build a relationship.

Note: I based this on the top 20 programs with each of them. Completely different story with the next 20. Also note I am aware of exceptions to the rule.
For the mere sake of readability, it is unnecessary to copy previous posts....it takes up a lot of space and annoys some. Smile With that said, I'm not singling you out Triplethreat -- just an observation. And from a personal perspective, I think this discussion is silly. The purpose of this site is to promote high school baseball. It is what it is --- it's not select baseball, it's not professional baseball....but it's an important part of a player's development. I loved my association with HS baseball. My sons wouldn't have played college baseball without HS baseball.

And yes....we will more closely "moderate" the tryout topics in another week or so (in case anyone is wondering). Maybe the secret moderators will "come out".

Eek

On a side note....KG, seems that other site has slowed down quite a bit too, eh? Cool
Last edited by Panther Dad
I agree with most of your list. I am a HS head coach and I also coach a select team over the summer. I do so because of the differences in the game. I do not dislike HS baseball, but I agree times have changed. I have found myself preparing earlier and earlier for my summer team.

I will say this about summer ball though. I am not sure how many coaches want to be there or how many are there because it is something to do with baseball. I cannot tell you how many times I looked over in the other dugout and saw a coach with his eyes closed (I know he was hung over because I was at the bar with him the night before...lol

That is not to say the majority of select coaches are like this, just an example of a few. HS coaches seem to be more "invested" in their team.

With that being said, select ball and HS ball alike are a lot of fun when the coaches seem to be "going at it." I like competing with the other guy and I find more of that in HS ball than in select ball.

Anyways, I like the comparison and I am sure there will be additions to it.
Last edited by txbball14
This argument is interesting, and a little troubling. These 2 different versons of the same game should go hand-in-hand, since I assumed the goal of both was to try to help kids develop as players and as young men; to enable them to reach the higher levels of thir God-given ability.
It seems to me the two would better serve their kids by being on the same page, not competing against each other.
quote:
Originally posted by handyrandy:
This argument is interesting, and a little troubling. These 2 different versons of the same game should go hand-in-hand, since I assumed the goal of both was to try to help kids develop as players and as young men; to enable them to reach the higher levels of thir God-given ability.
It seems to me the two would better serve their kids by being on the same page, not competing against each other.

I do not think that the two "compete" per se. I see them as two different entities that are trying to achieve the same goal. The select ball just allows the upper echelon (for the most part) compete with each other while the HS ball allows for all interested in the game to compete.
quote:
Originally posted by handyrandy:

I think what some of you are not grasping is that I personally didn't start a discussion comparing HS to Summer ball.

My comments were a simple rebuttal to Funneldrills comments on HS vs. summer ball. Those comments are gone from cyber space now. The author has that right.

I could care less if kids are playing sand lot ball in a desert. It's all good to me.

And again, no harmful intent. Strictly casting the fly hoping to get a rise.

Fish on!
Last edited by Ken Guthrie
I thought that the title "KG vs. Funneldrill" meant that we were going to get an action-packed recap of one of the more entertaining threads in a long time. I'm a little disappointed - so I'll offer this one up:

KG vs. Funneldrill Wednesday’s matchup between funneldrill and Guthrie promised to be a classic duel between HS and select baseball, but came up short when FD pulled up lame and asked to be pulled out of the contest. The thing peaked when Guthrie threw out the provocation, “Summer vs. HS = no comparison”, and got FD knickers in a twist, followed by a pretty impressive volley of nastiness. But after FD’s mysterious disappearance, posters were left in a confusing, rambling rant, and eventually degenerated into nanny-boo-boo style 3rd grader antics. Overall, it appears that Guthrie got the best of everyone, pulling off several more zingers than the second place poster, and managing to re-remind everyone he was once a bull-pin catcher by sprinkling his past with his usual self-deprecating approach.

A couple of newly respun logins arrived on the scene, and possibly even one guy who genuinely never posted before under a different name. Frankthetank rolled out some nice language that managed to lower the bar to MTV-like profanity, and some “diesel” guy posted a few lines that read like his cat must have jumped on the keyboard. One poster seemed to be trying out the time-tested method of shamelessly promoting a certain athlete as if he was a truly disinterested third party who was impressed by him at a random game – nothing new there.

Toward the end, the thread seemed to take on a playful “all-in-fun” banter after everyone realized how embarrassing their behavior was. Interesting to note that the Moderators let this one go so long, and didn’t step in with any condescending language about how this is not what HSbaseball is all about (even though this thread was pretty typical).

Overall, I would rate “KG vs. Funneldrill” an 8.5 out of 10 – pretty great entertainment. But the big buzz among fans is what to make of FD’s self-removal from the game. Lots of debate over whether he can be relied upon in the face of angry AD’s and Moderators, or if he’ll pack it up and run when the cyber-pressure’s on.
Last edited by wraggArm
quote:
Originally posted by wraggArm:
I thought that the title "KG vs. Funneldrill" meant that we were going to get an action-packed recap of one of the more entertaining threads in a long time. I'm a little disappointed - so I'll offer this one up:

KG vs. Funneldrill Wednesday’s matchup between funneldrill and Guthrie promised to be a classic duel between HS and select baseball, but came up short when FD pulled up lame and asked to be pulled out of the contest. The thing peaked when Guthrie threw out the provocation, “Summer vs. HS = no comparison”, and got FD knickers in a twist, followed by a pretty impressive volley of nastiness. But after FD’s mysterious disappearance, posters were left in a confusing, rambling rant, and eventually degenerated into nanny-boo-boo style 3rd grader antics. Overall, it appears that Guthrie got the best of everyone, pulling off several more zingers than the second place poster, and managing to re-remind everyone he was once a bull-pin catcher by sprinkling his past with his usual self-deprecating approach.

A couple of newly respun logins arrived on the scene, and possibly even one guy who genuinely never posted before under a different name. Frankthetank rolled out some nice language that managed to lower the bar to MTV-like profanity, and some “diesel” guy posted a few lines that read like his cat must have jumped on the keyboard. One poster seemed to be trying out the time-tested method of shamelessly promoting a certain athlete as if he was a truly disinterested third party who was impressed by him at a random game – nothing new there.

Toward the end, the thread seemed to take on a playful “all-in-fun” banter after everyone realized how embarrassing their behavior was. Interesting to note that the Moderators let this one go so long, and didn’t step in with any condescending language about how this is not what HSbaseball is all about (even though this thread was pretty typical).

Overall, I would rate “KG vs. Funneldrill” an 8.5 out of 10 – pretty great entertainment. But the big buzz among fans is what to make of FD’s self-removal from the game. Lots of debate over whether he can be relied upon in the face of angry AD’s and Moderators, or if he’ll pack it up and run when the cyber-pressure’s on.

Pretty good recap I must say.

"Self-depracating"!

Now that is good.
Last edited by Ken Guthrie
Just for the record -- and hopefully to clarify -- I am indeed a moderator but I do not visit the site daily anymore....and I do not follow every discussion on a post-by-post basis. I apologize if that disappoints anyone or makes you feel like things are out of control or unequally balanced here. In the past, I have not had to moderate KG or FD....after all, Ken was a bullpen catcher. Cool Even if I don't always agree with them on the subject at hand, these guys generally follow the message board rules. Concerning the history of this "tussle" (if that's what it is/was), I must have missed most of it.

If you all need a more regular baby-sitter, I'll check to see if Julie can find one.
Link copied to your clipboard.