Skip to main content

My son is a 2025 grad, and is a big time late bloomer. Entering freshman year at 14.5 years old, he was 5'3" and 120 pounds. He is a relatively young sophomore and will be 16 in March and is now 5'9" 170. The doctor says he still has a good amount of growth left, and his bone age is only 14 years old.

From a baseball perspective, he's a good hitter, good infielder, but a slow runner (he's working on that). He works really hard at the game and is skilled, but is well behind physically the standout players who are 2025s (there are 2 D1 commits in his class on his HS team). He's not that small anymore, but he definitely lacks the man muscle that starts to come at the end of puberty.

So, my questions are these. Is this summer, as a rising junior, too early for him to start doing camps and showcases? Should we wait until he's caught up more, and just do a blitz when he is a rising senior? Right now, I think it will be hard for him to stand out at a camp, but I don't want to assume that it still isn't worth it to get some experience doing them and maybe show a little something.

He really wants to play college baseball at some level (D1 likely isn't in the cards for him), but it probably won't be until he's a junior/senior in HS where he really catches up with a lot of the other 2025s. Just looking for a good game plan.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The general rule is don't showcase until you have something to show. Most players wait until Junior year for that reason, unless they're really advanced.

I know a 2025 who just did a PBR showcase this fall. The kid, like your son, is still developing & ended up posting some really poor numbers with a 60 well over 8 seconds. I'm sure he & his dad wish they'd waited. Now he's signed up for more showcases in a mad dash to get his publicized numbers up.

If you want to get him showcase experience & see where he's at without risk, try a smaller showcase (non-PBR/PG) where the numbers aren't posted. My 2024 did a Junior Day Baseball showcase prior to doing a PBR, it was well-run & gave a similar report to the bigger showcases.

@947 posted:

If you want to get him showcase experience & see where he's at without risk, try a smaller showcase (non-PBR/PG) where the numbers aren't posted. My 2024 did a Junior Day Baseball showcase prior to doing a PBR, it was well-run & gave a similar report to the bigger showcases.

NJ2025Dad - I believe this is what you are really asking.  @947 has offered great advice as a place to get started and figure out where your son is on the skills continuum.  This will give you a better feel for the task at hand, and you can figure out next steps from that point.  Of course the HSBBWeb board is here to help should you need help with the next steps.  Good luck.

Last edited by fenwaysouth

Let's start with the most common advice any coach or board will provide. Don't worry about what you can't control. It's too late to worry about when is your son's birthday. My son was a physical late bloomer with a May birthday. The one ounce of thought I gave it was the possibility of doing a PG year if it meant moving up to a top fifty D1 program.

A younger player doing showcases has to have at least one skill that stands out. It provides a coach the ability to possibly project if the other skills will follow. If he doesn't have that one skill yet do a local college showcase just to get comfortable with the routine and see where other local kids are with their skills.

It appears your son will be a D3 prospect. Do the research up front on how to get to the right events with the right colleges in attendance. It helps to have an advocate (a coach or instructor preselling him to college coaches) rather than showing up to a showcase and hoping to be noticed. Every event my son attended his travel coach had called coaches to tell them he has a player who is a potential fit for their program. His high school coach, also connected in the baseball world offered to help close.

You haven't mentioned grades. Are they good enough to do a Head First event?

Last edited by RJM
@RJM posted:

Let's start with the most common advice any coach or board will provide. Don't worry about what you can't control. It's too late to worry about when is your son's birthday. My son was a physical late bloomer with a May birthday. The one ounce of thought I gave it was the possibility of doing a PG year if it meant moving up to a top fifty D1 program.

A younger player doing showcases has to have at least one skill that stands out. It provides a coach the ability to possibly project if the other skills will follow. If he doesn't have that one skill yet do a local college showcase just to get comfortable with the routine and see where other local kids are with their skills.

It appears your son will be a D3 prospect. Do the research up front on how to get to the right events with the right colleges in attendance. It helps to have an advocate (a coach or instructor preselling him to college coaches) rather than showing up to a showcase and hoping to be noticed. Every event my son attended his travel coach had called coaches to tell them he has a player who is a potential fit for their program. His high school coach, also connected in the baseball world offered to help close.

You haven't mentioned grades. Are they good enough to do a Head First event?

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what the qualifications are for Head First events, but he does have good grades (a 3.9 GPA after freshman year), and, based on his sophomore PSAT score, he should end up with a 1300+ SAT score when he takes it.

I was thinking about a Headfirst event. I was also considering the I95 event (which is not academic based), which is less than 30 minutes from us. But they are both $1100 or so, which I'm wondering if those events would be worth it this summer, knowing that it might not be the right time for him.

I was also thinking about having him do a D3 college camp a college or two in the Centennial Conference close to home (maybe Swarthmore, F&M or Washington College).

Putting aside your kid's metrics right now, given your location he should make a list of local D3s that he would be interested in attending and start looking and if you have time visit the campus, virtual can never replace a bricks and mortar visit, that made the ultimate difference for my knucklehead. I would also hold off any showcase until your kid has something to show. The super showcase are nice if your kid is undecided but unnecessary. My kid did the I95 showcase during the summer of the pandemic when he was 15, as it was local enough to us and he did pretty well and given there was no coaches in attendance (only remote and videos sent) he had some contact by them but it none of the schools he was interested in. You have more time with D3s and especially HA D3s, it will definitely give your kid a chance to bloom more. Good luck

D3s start recruiting the summer before senior year (17U).  Among other things, they are waiting to see who doesn't get picked up by D1s.  So, definitely no need to spend money on Headfirst etc. this summer.

If he wants to stay local, there may be no need to go to Headfirst at all - in 17U summer, find a local showcase where schools in his range attend - could be PBR, could be something else.  Or go to camps of relevant schools, preceded by contact with those schools by one of his coaches (HS or travel).

Currently his grades are in the range for Headfirst-attending schools.  So, if that's his goal come 17U, you should consider it.

Is he really a late bloomer? He's about the size of the average US male and he's a HS sophomore. Unless he's going to be 6'2 - he's on the normal path of a high schooler. How much bigger are the other sophomores that you feel he's behind physically?

How is his summer team? How do they place their guys? What do the last 2-3 senior classes for his club look like college wise? Is he going to be playing varsity this year?

@PABaseball posted:

Is he really a late bloomer? He's about the size of the average US male and he's a HS sophomore. Unless he's going to be 6'2 - he's on the normal path of a high schooler. How much bigger are the other sophomores that you feel he's behind physically?

How is his summer team? How do they place their guys? What do the last 2-3 senior classes for his club look like college wise? Is he going to be playing varsity this year?

Yes. He's a late bloomer. He was diagnosed with delayed puberty by an endocrinologist, and didn't have any signs of puberty at all until he was almost 14 years old (He was 4'11 at 14). Needless to say, there was a big difference between him and his teammates at that point, but he competed and kept at it. He's done a lot of growing in the last 2 years (10 inches and 50 pounds worth), but there is a big difference between a 5'9" kid who is fully grown and has a beard, and a 5'9" sophomore who could pass for an eighth grader. The doctor says he has probably has almost two years left of  growth and should end up around 6'.

It's also about the athleticism, strength, and coordination that continues to come along with late puberty/end of puberty rather than just his size.

In terms of his summer team, he's on a new team this year. It's not a high level team, but how they place their guys is a conversation I need to have with them. They are doing some local showcase tournaments this summer. In terms of playing varsity this year, it is possible he plays this year (he's been told he has a chance), but it's also possible he ends up on JV, where he was last year.

Last edited by NJ2025Dad
@NJ2025Dad posted:

Yes. He's a late bloomer. He was diagnosed with delayed puberty by an endocrinologist, and didn't have any signs of puberty at all until he was almost 14 years old (He was 4'11 at 14). Needless to say, there was a big difference between him and his teammates at that point, but he competed and kept at it. He's done a lot of growing in the last 2 years (10 inches and 50 pounds worth), but there is a big difference between a 5'9" kid who is fully grown and has a beard, and a 5'9" sophomore who could pass for an eighth grader. The doctor says he has probably has almost two years left of  growth and should end up around 6'.

It's also about the athleticism, strength, and coordination that continues to come along with late puberty/end of puberty rather than just his size.

In terms of his summer team, he's on a new team this year. It's not a high level team, but how they place their guys is a conversation I need to have with them. They are doing some local showcase tournaments this summer. In terms of playing varsity this year, it is possible he plays this year (he's been told he has a chance), but it's also possible he ends up on JV, where he was last year.

He's 5'9 and 170lbs at 15. Even if he grows another 3 inches as projected - sounds like he's on good pace to grow an inch or so each year for the next 2-3. Kids typically grow the most between 13-16. Puberty may have been delayed but late bloomer would be more 17/18 year old who grew 5 inches in a summer and started throwing 10mph harder.

Sophomores with full beards are pretty rare. Even if that were the case - you don't want to be the 16 year old with a full beard - he doesn't get bigger and he doesn't get better. It is better to have the baby face and the room to grow into your body - at least in the eyes of college coaches.

The 5'9 jacked 16 year old throwing 87 is the 5'9 22 year old throwing 89. He doesn't project much.

The 5'9 baby face with room to fill out throwing 85 is what coaches envision as the 6'0 205lber throwing 93.

Regardless his game is what matters, not necessarily how much he stacks up to the bearded mini men in his class. If he's a quality player there should be 2 goals for his sophomore season

1. Make varsity

2. Play for the most competitive travel club you can play for. If you're in NJ, I, as long as others, would be happy to point you in the right direction.

@PABaseball posted:

He's 5'9 and 170lbs at 15. Even if he grows another 3 inches as projected - sounds like he's on good pace to grow an inch or so each year for the next 2-3. Kids typically grow the most between 13-16. Puberty may have been delayed but late bloomer would be more 17/18 year old who grew 5 inches in a summer and started throwing 10mph harder.

Sophomores with full beards are pretty rare. Even if that were the case - you don't want to be the 16 year old with a full beard - he doesn't get bigger and he doesn't get better. It is better to have the baby face and the room to grow into your body - at least in the eyes of college coaches.

The 5'9 jacked 16 year old throwing 87 is the 5'9 22 year old throwing 89. He doesn't project much.

The 5'9 baby face with room to fill out throwing 85 is what coaches envision as the 6'0 205lber throwing 93.

Regardless his game is what matters, not necessarily how much he stacks up to the bearded mini men in his class. If he's a quality player there should be 2 goals for his sophomore season

1. Make varsity

2. Play for the most competitive travel club you can play for. If you're in NJ, I, as long as others, would be happy to point you in the right direction.

Thanks for the reply. He is definitely concentrating on trying to make and play on varsity this season. It is a competitive HS team, with at least 4 committed or soon to commit D1 players, so we will see. I do appreciate the offer to try to point me in the right direction on a travel team. It can be hard to navigate the ever-changing/merging travel landscape in the area. However, my son has committed to a team for this upcoming summer season at this point.

While I may be risking getting too far in the weeds on what a constitutes a "late bloomer" (and divulging too much medical information), I did want to clarify a couple of things since other parents/kids might be in the same boat as me and my son. From a medical perspective, and per our endocrinologist, my son has "delayed puberty" and "delayed bone age." Basically, he is 15 years 10 months old, but his bone age (biological age) is 14 years old. In essence, that means that he is more like a 5'9" 14 year old than a 5'9" 16 year old with regards to growth and development. Personally, I'm using "late bloomer" to categorize him because of that.

There are tons of articles and research on the subject of delayed puberty and biological age and its impact on youth sport.

With regards to recruiting and camps, I do hope that college coaches have been through this long enough to recognize the kids who are those late maturers. I've never been through the showcase and camp thing, but I'm sure it has to be a harder path for those kinds of kids.

@NJ2025Dad posted:

With regards to recruiting and camps, I do hope that college coaches have been through this long enough to recognize the kids who are those late maturers. I've never been through the showcase and camp thing, but I'm sure it has to be a harder path for those kinds of kids.

Having 2 late bloomers, to use the generic term, and being one myself.  It is very tough going through the early part and sometimes the full part of HS with all the skill but not looking like it because your body doesn't work with you.  Especially now, with the whole "athlete" kick.  There are definitely different "late bloomers"  like you mention those that physically have the body of a kid 2-3 years younger than them and if they weren't a strong kid to begin with it's tough...., and those that just have a later growth spurt of height.  Usually the later you go through Puberty, the bigger you end up being.  So there is that.  Plus typically, you get the last laugh, if you don't quit.

As far as the quote above,  DIII coaches get it because they kind of have to, but if you are just short and don't have some sign of physical immaturity, it's kind of hard for them to project.  I get why you bring up the medical issue, if I had a dollar for every parent that said their kid was a late bloomer and they are all of 5'9" themselves, I wonder late blooming into what?

Often, a coach will try and find the parent to see how big they are, so get yourself in shape ;-).   D1 and D2, don't have the time to wait, they'll wait for the transfer portal though.  IE if your kid is rocking a full beard and is 5'5" he will probably be passed by or he better hit lights out. (by lights out, as my son's hitting instructor says, if you can't hit .400 in HS, you aren't a good hitter).

On the other hand if your kid ends up 6'5 and slender, looks like he's never seen the inside of a gym, and is a pitcher with some skill, DIII coaches are salivating. (to them, that's the definition of late bloomer, you typically have to show the signs of potential for size to go along with existing skill, it's easier to see filling out than up).

Position players, it's harder.  But if you can show you can find barrels consistently (regardless of exit velocity), have good footwork at your position, field smoothly and have that 6th tool, there are tons of those undersized guys in DIII, whether they grew more or not.  (but if you aren't there yet, definitely don't showcase)

Where you end up from there is up to you, your work ethic and your genetics.

I know I'm insufferably long winded, but I will end with this, if the kid is not a D1 talent and is a good student, please consider first deciding where he wants to go to school based on his desired career, then if he can play baseball there.

@HSDad22 posted:

Having 2 late bloomers, to use the generic term, and being one myself.  It is very tough going through the early part and sometimes the full part of HS with all the skill but not looking like it because your body doesn't work with you.  Especially now, with the whole "athlete" kick.  There are definitely different "late bloomers"  like you mention those that physically have the body of a kid 2-3 years younger than them and if they weren't a strong kid to begin with it's tough...., and those that just have a later growth spurt of height.  Usually the later you go through Puberty, the bigger you end up being.  So there is that.  Plus typically, you get the last laugh, if you don't quit.

As far as the quote above,  DIII coaches get it because they kind of have to, but if you are just short and don't have some sign of physical immaturity, it's kind of hard for them to project.  I get why you bring up the medical issue, if I had a dollar for every parent that said their kid was a late bloomer and they are all of 5'9" themselves, I wonder late blooming into what?

Often, a coach will try and find the parent to see how big they are, so get yourself in shape ;-).   D1 and D2, don't have the time to wait, they'll wait for the transfer portal though.  IE if your kid is rocking a full beard and is 5'5" he will probably be passed by or he better hit lights out. (by lights out, as my son's hitting instructor says, if you can't hit .400 in HS, you aren't a good hitter).

On the other hand if your kid ends up 6'5 and slender, looks like he's never seen the inside of a gym, and is a pitcher with some skill, DIII coaches are salivating. (to them, that's the definition of late bloomer, you typically have to show the signs of potential for size to go along with existing skill, it's easier to see filling out than up).

Position players, it's harder.  But if you can show you can find barrels consistently (regardless of exit velocity), have good footwork at your position, field smoothly and have that 6th tool, there are tons of those undersized guys in DIII, whether they grew more or not.  (but if you aren't there yet, definitely don't showcase)

Where you end up from there is up to you, your work ethic and your genetics.

I know I'm insufferably long winded, but I will end with this, if the kid is not a D1 talent and is a good student, please consider first deciding where he wants to go to school based on his desired career, then if he can play baseball there.

TRUTH. If I could like this 100x I would. For all of us who find ourselves in similar situations, reassurance and "truth" like this, especially coming from someone's who lived it (>2x) really helps. THANK YOU! Love this site. Some advice and experiences transcend current trends and challenges. Ha, your input was "succinct" in my book.

Another thing that helps is having an older sibling who is already committed or playing college ball. The thing is you have to be real about potential and fit. A friend/former teammate’s son played at a top ranked program, went in the first round and played several years in the majors.

The younger brother was recruited to the same program. After whiffing in 40% of the few at bats freshman year he received he was farmed out to a JuCo and never brought back. The younger kid went mid major after JuCo and wasn’t drafted.

I saw the younger kid play at a Legion regional. The kid wasn’t one of the top three players on the field that day in a not hot bed area and committed to one of the top programs in the country. It wasn’t the first major  mistake this very successful college coach made. Recruiting is a crap shoot for the player and the coach.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.