Skip to main content

I have never posted on this site but I have a question.  My son is a young 17 year old entering his senior year.  He is a lefty pitcher with great control and movement  consistently throwing 83 mph and also has a 85-86 mph fastball.  He is a very good student taking all honors and A.P. classes.  His overall weighted G.P.A. is a weighted 3.9  It would have been higher but they would not include his 3rd and 4th term marks his junior year as part of his GPA ....due to virtual learning from home.  Yet one can see the grades on the transcript.  My son defiantly wants to play college ball and I am wandering what division this would place him in.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It must also be noted that my son is driven and willing to work hard to get to where he needs to be. 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Since you’re in MA he should be looking at NESCAC,  NEWMAC, Commonwealth Coast Conference (D3) and Northeast 10 (D2) schools. He should look at doing Head First. Someone else might know what is up with Head First this year. The Northeast showcase was supposed to be in July. The Lynn Invitational Showcase is in a week. 

https://lynninvitational.com/

Even though he’s young for his grade he’s still in the grade he’s in. The only reason it would make difference is if he’s projected to be significantly bigger and throw harder within the next year. 

Has he been all conference? Do Massachusetts D3 coaches have any idea who he is? He should make a list and email them immediately about how to get in front of them. This should have been done a year ago. 

Last edited by RJM

Have any baseball people told your son he’s a possible D1 prospect? Or are you both hoping he can make the jump? 

A big problem is COVID has backed up rosters for a couple of years. Even if he PG’ed he’s still all in on next summer when most quality mid major D1 pitchers are offered heading into junior season. However, there are still spots for top quality pitchers. It would have to be a jump in talent that places him in the elite,  “have to have on the roster” lefty.

Unless a kid is a pro prospect the decision making should be about getting the best possible education while having an opportunity to get on the field and play competitive baseball regardless of the level.

Shoe horning into the D1 market often means losing out and transferring or giving up baseball after getting to college. Half of D1 players wash out and transfer or quit the game at their first choice.

A friend’s son played for a D3 national champion. The dog pile looked just as fun as the one at the CWS. With his degree from a top academic he went on to investment banking. 

If the usual colleges show up at the Lynn Invitational it should provide some indication of where he stands. If D1 coaches don’t express interest they don’t see a D1 prospect.

The #1 pitcher of the D3 championship team I mentioned grew and developed into a pro prospect. He was drafted and made it to AAA.  

How did your son get this far along before deciding he wants to pitch in college? Most kids know entering high school.

Last edited by RJM

Has your son done events and showcases that would have gotten him in front of D1 schools?  If  he has, and he hasn't gotten offers by now, that probably means it's not the right level for him.  If he has not, well, even in normal times it's really late in the game and unlikely that he'd get much interest unless he picked up a bunch of MPH's really quickly.

A LHP who can throw mid 80's over the plate definitely will get interest from high academic D3 schools.  But even then, it's late. He would need to get to Headfirst in August and impress some people.

Funny thing about D3 is if you are right and he was able to get up into the 90's there is a path to the pros.  It doesn't happen frequently but it does happen, especially for pitchers. Just this year, a kid out of Chapman, Nick Garcia, was drafted in the 3rd round. Funny thing is he started as a position player at Chapman and they turned him into a pitcher when they found out that he couldn't hit a curveball.  The year before, Hugh Smith was drafted out of Whitworth in the  6th round.  He had no D1 interest coming out of HS, but grew a foot and upped his velo by  12mph college. 

Thank-you for all the replies.  I’ll let you know how this all turns out.  I appreciate all of the advice,  I am happy to hear that a LHP throwing mid 80’s will get interest from high academic D3 schools.  Honestly, a year ago my son was not throwing at this velocity....things have changed and I now think he could have many opportunities ahead.  

There is a lot of information on this site about HA D3 recruiting.  Some things to think about:

- where has he played in the last year (I know with coronavirus, it may be not much)?  Does he have any coaches (travel or high school) who are willing to help you with this?  Have you asked them what they think?  Having coaches make contacts with schools, if they are willing and/or if they have connections, is the best way to get college coaches to take a look at you.

- do you have video of his pitching?  If so, whether or not you are able to go to Headfirst or similar showcases, you can send introductory emails to coaches, with a link to the video.  If his velocity was verified by a showcase, say so; if not, try to get video with a radar gun in the picture.  With all the difficulties with travel this year, video is apparently even more important.

- At  schools that are selective, the coach can help your son with admissions, that process is picking up NOW, at the beginning of August, and they usually want you to apply Early Decision in November.  So, if those are the sorts of schools that are of interest, you need to be contacting the coaches right now.  At other schools, if your son can get in on his own, then there is more time, schools recruit all the way into the regular admission cycle.

Schools want to know the unweighted GPA, and the test scores, especially the tippy top Nescacs. If he can touch 86 and has "great control and movement", then  a HA D1 is not out of the question. A local RHP ended up going to Columbia after showing great pitching savvy at Headfirst. He was under 6', and didn't throw harder than 86 or so.

Last edited by 57special

For what its worth My son 17 y/o LHP just went to Headfirst academic camp. fB velo 83. Pitched well. Now has interest from several high academic D3’s. No D1 interest at all and he understands his options. I told him big fish little pond is great!  I personally feel D1 LHP interest starts at consistent 85-86fb.  He has every other aspect other than the velo.
not everyone can throw 90 or we would all be in mlb.

@Osh1001

Put yourself in the shoes of the recruiting coach (RC).   

D3 HA schools have to bring in guys that 1) meet the schools academic requirements 2) can contribute immediately or in the near future on the baseball field.   You've said he has interest.   That is a great start.  However, these schools look at a lot of guys.   They are also probably not going to make an offer unless the entire coaching staff (including HC) sees your son and signs off.   You need to get in front of them again and reinforce your interest in their school and remind them what your son has done and what he can do for them.

My advice would be to do your due diligence on where your son sits academically compared to the student body as well as recruited athletes at these schools.   Additionally, see if you can get his high school coach or travel coach to place a call/text/email recommendation to the college coaches that he is most interested in.   Under no circumstances should your son let up on his efforts to get recruited until he accepts a verbal offer.  To get to the offer stage he'll most likely be asked to provide a pre-read.   Have that information on the ready.

Good luck! 

"Unless a kid is a pro prospect college baseball is about best education possible while having a positive baseball experience. It’s the forty year plan."

It doesn't matter the division, the league, or the school, if a kid has a potential MLB tool he will be scouted and (offered to) be signed.

Unless the goal is a legit chance at the CWS,  the goal should be about getting the best education possible while having a positive baseball experience. Now, apart from Stanford (in D1), none of those other D1 HAs have a legit chance. [The caveat: I look ONLY at the athletes' education potential - the normal kids don't count. So, sorry, Michigan, Cal, NC - great education potential for normal kids; not that way for athletes.]

IMO, too many believe the division, the league, the school plays a role in making the path to pro-ball easier. If a kid has a potential MLB tool, he will be found, so why give up a better education to literally gain nothing? [Legit CWS aspirations change that equation.]

Right in the NEWMAC, NESCAC, UAA etc. wheelhouse.  My opinion is your kids grades are too good to be chasing D2's as they are not HA institutions around where you are (NE10), unless he applies to their Honors colleges.  If he's had his big velocity jump, I would suspect that a year might put another 3-4mph with hard work.  If you care about quality of school and want to do a PG year, be wary of some of the PG schools that are little more than sport farms that won't help at all with getting into higher academic schools.  But expect to Pay @70K for that PG year, probably more than any scholarship will make up for, and there is no guarantee that gets you mid-major D1 or he ever sees the field. Some suggestions on PG (Exeter, Andover, Cushing, Avon, Cantebury)

I do know a Lefty going into Sr year committed D2 in your area sitting 80mph after a strong jr year on a very good D1 HS team ( a league with multiple d1 talent). So D2 is within grasp if so desired, D1 might be a stretch even with a re-class or PG and significant increase in velocity, even with hard work, is it worth the risk/reward/expense?

Don't let him have Senior-Itis, A 3.9 can drop very quickly.

Best of Luck

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.